Is this wrong?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
This is the first time I have posted photos on here as I have been too shy before, but you have to bite the bullet at some time! (I hope it works!)

I know an experienced photographer who thinks the composition of these two is all wrong as the subjects are going out of shot, but to me, I think the kerb leads the eye back in.
Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other?
Your comments are appreciated! thanks, Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiganworryer/8941671462/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiganworryer/9176307565/

Last edited:
I suspect that your 'experienced' photographer isn't.

In both cases the direction of movement is back into the frame.

It's completely subjective. You can break the rules if you feel it makes a better image. I think they're fine. :)

Subjects are a little central and static but "going away"... well that's ok, its rarely the most pleasing angle for cars/bikes - occasionally maybe, but most times...

They both work for me. As part of a set they would be excellent.

Welcome to the forum also. Don't be scared to post some pictures, it's all good fun! Make sure you copy and paste the BBCode into your reply box so the image shows in the thread rather than just the link.

If you like them then all is good.

There in focus more than most of my motorsport pics lol.

There is no right and wrong... more often than not following 'the rules' will result in a pleasing image but then breaking them can result in something more original... or it can fail miserably but then that's part of the fun! What I would say is that they look a little under exposed to me.

I enter camera club competitions and I think they have a lot to answer for when it comes to turning these compositional guidelines (eg rule of thirds) into actual 'rules'!

Hi All
Thank you for your comments and encouragement.
I know the 'rules' of thirds and leading the eye are guidelines but a year ago I was taking awful stuff but I am thinking more about this when composing now and I think I have improved (slightly!) I have seen some great examples on here when a 'rule' is broken to good effect so I will definately keep that in mind.
Also, thanks to David for the advice regarding pasting the code, I will do that next time!

I find the part of the barrier on the right of the first shot a bit distracting, it could do with cropping out.

The second shot would benefit from a little more exposure, I'd imagine from a higher ISO or some PP tweaking.

To be honest they're both very minor things in a couple otherwise very good shots. The focus and composition are pretty much perfect, I'd certainly be pleased with them.

There's nothing "wrong" with either image compositionally, there is no such thing. But I think the images of the bikes is stronger than the car. And it is "due to" basic compositional "rules."

If you look at the bikes, they are in the lower left with space in front of them where they are going. You have the flowing line of the curb and angle of the bikes telling you that's where they are going. AND you also have a curved line in the pavement "confining" them to that direction; it "defines" the road since you can't see the left side.

The car, on the other hand, is pretty centered with less room to move into, the body stance is pretty flat (usually is), there's no confining/guiding lines on the right (but they are on the track, just cropped off).

Try this, look at both images covering the side they are "moving into." The bikes still look "right," the car does not.

Hi
Thank you, your comments have highlighted things to me that I agree with but didnt notice until you said, such as the under exposure of the TVR, cropping too tight on the TVR and removing the tyres on the bikes shot.
I will re visit the photos and see if I can improve them.
Thanks, Keith

I like them! My only suggestion would be to straighten the bike photo a bit- the extreme slant makes me feel slightly dizzy! Might be because I had a couple of lagers at lunch though

I like them! My only suggestion would be to straighten the bike photo a bit- the extreme slant makes me feel slightly dizzy! Might be because I had a couple of lagers at lunch though

I love the bikes picture, particularly because it feels like you are 'tilting' with them.

and there is your first lesson in motorsport photography. you cant please everyone, so just do what you like :)

and there is your first lesson in motorsport photography. you cant please everyone, so just do what you like :)

Plus about one billion

Back