ISO3200 and spot metering on 400D (Hack)

Oh my, how much do i really want to try this out!!!! what happens if i brick my 400d? Do canon release firmware updates?

400 ISO is ment to be bad on this let alone 3200 :LOL:

yeah but how cool does it look, everyone elses can only do 1600 but you can show off with 3200

christ theres some ****wits asking questions on the forum that the original link has links to.

people asking if they can hack the likes of the 20d, 30d and 350d to have live view and movie output. theres even someone asking if they can flash the 20d to have the capabilities of the 20Da (which has very very basic liveview and a different IR sensor infront of the chip) these people are on a coding forum, you;d have atleast thought that they would know the basics of how recoding something cant change physical properties of the camera such as HARDWARE.

interesting idea to hack it although exactly how 'real' is the spotmetering and as mentioned above its mearly pushing the iso1600 a stop, i bet its quite noisy!

can they make my 20D into a 5Dmk3 by porting in a 21megapixel chip.....

It seems a very complex process though so thats the only thing thats putting me off

I had never heard of the 20Da thats a very advanced piece of kit for its time fair play. You have to understand that some people have the concept that software is hardware and as far as they are concerend thats the only limiting factor.

Well i have just done it and it seemed to go all ok its a bit weird seeing ISO 3200 my little canon though

If I still had my 400D I'd be willing to try it out myself. IIRC ISO800 on the 400D looked like ISO1600 on my 40D.

What I'm really interested with is the spot metering.

the only thing with this hack is that the cards have to be run through a program and made bootable. You also have to put a Autorun file on them. Wihtout it, there will be no playing with the ISO

If I still had my 400D I'd be willing to try it out myself. IIRC ISO800 on the 400D looked like ISO1600 on my 40D.

What I'm really interested with is the spot metering.

Well i have a simbol on on the back, a square box with a dot in the middle. I presume its turned on. What benefit does it give though?

its all dark around here but gimme 2 mins

Waste of time... and no it wouldn't look 'cool' to show off ISO 3200 on a 400D

A) Its a 400D
B) Your not cool if you boost about numbers
C) It's rubbish

Ok, just because i cant afford something better than a 400d doesnt mean its rubbish. It is cool, as its something the average cannot do, and it was just a figure of speach ffs, take a chill pill will you?

Looks good to me!!!
(y):clap: :naughty:

its something for nothing...

What is awesome is that you can access a hidden menu and output a file to the memory card which shows you how many actuations your camera has done!!

Ill take it over the park tomorrow and have a few shots with her see how it turns out. With regards to the evaluative metering, i dont know what that does exactly but photos look a bit brighter and less underexposed in comparison.

The shots were with no noise reduction so photoshop may help with noise reduction.

wow that looks great!

****** me, that looks better than my 400 ISO!
I can't get it easily, what was the shutter speed?

Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
* Picture Orientation = normal (1)
* X-Resolution = 72/1 ===> 72
* Y-Resolution = 72/1 ===> 72
* X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
* Last Modified Date/Time = 2009:08:26 22:17:24
* Y/Cb/Cr Positioning (Subsampling) = co-sited / datum point (2)

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/60 second ===> 0.01667 second
* Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 50/10 ===> ƒ/5
* Exposure Program = normal program (2)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 3200
* Exif Version = 0221
* Original Date/Time = 2009:08:26 22:17:24
* Digitization Date/Time = 2009:08:26 22:17:24
* Components Configuration = 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
* Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 387114/65536
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/60 second
* Aperture Value (APEX) = 304340/65536
Aperture = ƒ/5
* Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/3 ===> 0
* Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
* Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
* Focal Length = 33/1 mm ===> 33 mm
* FlashPix Version = 0100
* Colour Space = sRGB (1)
* Image Width = 3888 pixels
* Image Height = 2592 pixels
* Focal Plane X-Resolution = 3888000/877 ===> 4433.3
* Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 2592000/582 ===> 4453.61
* Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
* Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
* Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)
* White Balance = auto (0)
* Scene Capture Type = standard (0)

Seems my camera with Noise Ninja can produce good images. Ill go out today and get some more lol

i am suprised the majority of the talk is about the high ISO, when IMHO the main feature of this hack is being able to enable spot metering

spot metering is a handy thing, so I agree with laz here.
plus any extra function for free is a nice bonus

I have something like this on my compact canon ixus70 iirc
a few extra features, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

i am suprised the majority of the talk is about the high ISO, when IMHO the main feature of this hack is being able to enable spot metering

Spot metering is very nice but it's not only the higher iso it's the greater level of control on offer. From 5 options (100/200/400/800/1600) to 16 is great to have.

1zzi70i.png
214wr60.png
smzqza.png

Let me know if they're too big mods and I'll thumbnail them :)

Here is my pennies worth..

Canon 400D ISO 3200 f2.8
IMG_7511nn_small.jpg

I have run noise ninja on this and sharpened

Not bad for a freebie :)

Not sure if it looks overly processed though :thinking:

That looks fine and to be honest there is no way i could tell that was taken at 3200ISO. What is this noise Ninja? Where do i get it from? It seems awesome. All i have used before is the inbuilt noise reduction with photoshop.

That looks fine and to be honest there is no way i could tell that was taken at 3200ISO. What is this noise Ninja? Where do i get it from? It seems awesome. All i have used before is the inbuilt noise reduction with photoshop.

You can find their website here:

http://www.picturecode.com/

They do a standalone application or a plugin application that works from photoshop.

400 ISO is ment to be bad on this let alone 3200 :LOL:

There's nothing wrong with 400 ISO on a 400D! I dont have to use noise reduction until I hit (very rarely) ISO 1600 and on DPP you can eliminate most of the noise and still get a very sharp image (though at 800 noise is evident on dark colours). I personally think DPP is better at noise reduction than noise ninja, and its also free...

Back