Issues with 5d mkII and water/condensation

Edit My Images
Yes
I was working up at T in the Park at the weekend, as you may have read or seen, it was pretty wet!

I had an issue where my 5d mkII stopped working properly. It would still switch on and I could manually focus and set the aperture and shutter, but the display screen did not show the image, I couldn't alter the ISO, WB, metering mode etc and it wouldn't autofocus.

Although I did have the rain cover on it, no doubt a bit of water would still have gotten onto the body, and going back into the media tent, it was steaming up a little.

Once the camera had dried out, it was working okay, done a wedding with it the other day and it was fine. Was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues?

Dave

What was steaming up? The front lens element or rear lcd screen on the inside or outside?

I recently had an issue with my 5D Mk 1. I used it alongside my 1D Mk II, photographing a car race. It rained all day. 1D Mk II was fine, 5D was not.
I packed it in a box of rice for 24 hours to suck the moisture out, and it was fine after that.

......Once the camera had dried out, it was working okay, done a wedding with it the other day and it was fine. Was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues?

Dave

Does sound like it got damp inside, hopefully it'll be fine now as it's working again and you'll have no lasting issues.

I'd be tempted to do the "box of rice" trick if you don't need the camera over the next few days, just to ensure all / as much of the moisture is drawn out.

The water made it's way in between the buttons, and therefore the electrical contacts were not working. I had this with a keyboard. Had it gotten any further it could be a very expensive repair. So yeah, 5D I-II is a good weather camera, the III should deal with a bit more.

Back