I've dropped my Canon compact cam!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Well I was rushing around before a Christening and somehow managed to knock my Canon Powershot S60 off the car seat I was cleaning and onto the driveway. All seems fine except I've broken the battery door and you need to hold it shut, if you let go it turns off.

I've still got my 350d so I'm not sure if I need my compact but it does have it's uses when the 350 isn't suited because of it's size or drawing unnecessary attention.

I love the Powershot because it's got identical controls to my 350d, has full manual options, shoots in RAW, uses the same compact flash cards and even uses the same batteries as my 350d. It also takes a good picture and I'd be sad to see it go :( But it is big compared to modern day compacts, quite heavy with small screen.

Question 1: Should I get it repaired? If so where and will it be expensive to sort out?

Question 2: If i decide to replace it with a newer model, What should I go for?

Cheers cheers, really annoyed at myself for dropping it though :bang:

Well I was rushing around before a Christening and somehow managed to knock my Canon Powershot S60 off the car seat I was cleaning and onto the driveway. All seems fine except I've broken the battery door and you need to hold it shut, if you let go it turns off.

I've still got my 350d so I'm not sure if I need my compact but it does have it's uses when the 350 isn't suited because of it's size or drawing unnecessary attention.

I love the Powershot because it's got identical controls to my 350d, has full manual options, shoots in RAW, uses the same compact flash cards and even uses the same batteries as my 350d. It also takes a good picture and I'd be sad to see it go :( But it is big compared to modern day compacts, quite heavy with small screen.

Question 1: Should I get it repaired? If so where and will it be expensive to sort out?

Question 2: If i decide to replace it with a newer model, What should I go for?

Cheers cheers, really annoyed at myself for dropping it though :bang:
Replace it with a Canon SX1is just got mine Brilliant! for repairs look on Ebay for a knackered S60 and swap doors over you might be lucky finding a spares/repair cheap?

cheers, just had my first proper look since I did it. It's easy to do myself, it's just the plastic outer casing on the door that has broken, two tiny screws hold it in place. Just need the plastic door part.

Anyone know if Canon UK sell parts like that? Or do i have to wait until a spare/repair s60 comes on eBay?

If you can remove the broken door could you glue it back together? there's some pretty good super glue's available or Araldite Rapid etc. You could strengthen the joint with thin metal from a Coke can etc glued on inside of the door or even thin plastic would do.

I agree with gaffer tape man. Cheap and easy. That's if it'll work of course......

It is probably very cheap to have repaired, though there may be minimum charges at the repairers, I don't know.

Go to the Canon website to find out who should do it, but it is probably the place in colchester.

I've had the lcd screens replaced on two ixus models there for £60 each, when places like Jessops quoted £150.

Your problem should be a lot less, unless they have a minimum fee, but they might sell you the part.

It is probably very cheap to have repaired, though there may be minimum charges at the repairers, I don't know.

Go to the Canon website to find out who should do it, but it is probably the place in colchester.

I've had the lcd screens replaced on two ixus models there for £60 each, when places like Jessops quoted £150.

Your problem should be a lot less, unless they have a minimum fee, but they might sell you the part.

I dropped my G9 and, in the end, after a lot of messing about with the 'wrong repair centre' it cost me over £200 to get the camera properly sorted out.

In the end, I was sorry I got the thing repaired, I should have bought a new one. But hind sight is always 20/20 isn't it!

I'd still say try the gaffer tape solution unless you can get a very, very cheap battery door for your camera.

Cheers all, went to the canon website to look for canon repair and parts companies, emailed the three on the list, part was £12, £15 or £35. So I ordered the £12 one and hopefully it will turn up this week.

Really pleased actually as I very rarely use the camera but when I do it's brilliant. Particularly as it works seamlessly with all my 350d accessories.

Well for £12 it's worth a punt at fixing it, if it doesn't work it's a minimal outlay. Hope it works for you though (y)

Came today - Fixed today! There was no danger of it not working, it was just a case of unscrewing two screws and putting the new battery door on.

Just a big thankyou to: http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/

They were the first to respond to my request, came in with the cheapest quote and even wrote me a nice note to explain an error they'd had. Delivery time of about a week is pretty impressive considering it was an obscure part for a 5 year old camera. So if you need a canon part follow that link!

Back