Beginner Izzy

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
First time I've posted a picture up on here.

One of my daughter Izzy, taken last weekend.
Nikon D750, Tamron 24-70 f2.8. Taken at 70mm, ISO 800, f4.5, 1/100s.
All natural light. Did use a silver reflector to fill the shadows to camera right.

Shame I didnt get her to brush her hair properly beforehand but she was messing about.

Opinions? Any comments/suggestions as to what to improve on for next time?

14691165_10154623111839859_5826168186528305681_o.jpg

For me, I find the overall colour temperature a tad cold. Perhaps a few hundred K warmer would help.

Alternatively, the gold reflector may warm things up a bit.

I find the blinds a little distracting - perhaps you could open up that aperture to 2.8.

Hope this helps.[emoji1]

For me, I find the overall colour temperature a tad cold. Perhaps a few hundred K warmer would help.

I find the blinds a little distracting - perhaps you could open up that aperture to 2.8.

Hope this helps.[emoji1]

Great, thanks for the suggestions and comments. I'll have a retry at the weekend :)

Hi

I am no expert but feel that the window light is too bright compared to the face.

As above a reflector would help. Also what metering mode were you using? If not spot give that a go.

Thanks

Hiya.

Exsposure looks great to me. I like the image. I like that you filled the frame but for some reason I feel it needs to have been taken with you stood back a touch. Maybe it is because your Daughter as given you such a great smile, that with you being in real close makes the viewer feel a bit intimidated somehow. Not sure any of this makes sense it's just a feeling I got when viewing.
Like it though it as a very natural look to it. Plus shooting by the window is something I find hard work but you managed it well here.

Gaz

It could use a levels tweak and the background isn't great, but it's a lovely natural expression.

Hi

I am no expert but feel that the window light is too bright compared to the face.

As above a reflector would help. Also what metering mode were you using? If not spot give that a go.

Thanks

I should say I used a reflector, although it was silver. I didn't think to use the gold part.

I assume I used matrix for metering. Presumably, my understanding, is that because of the white of the blinds and the backlight, I should of treated it as a backlit portrait and used spot. It didn't even cross my mind to use spot but I can see why now. Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely have a go at revisiting this at the weekend.

Hiya.

Exposure looks great to me. I like the image. I like that you filled the frame but for some reason I feel it needs to have been taken with you stood back a touch. Maybe it is because your Daughter as given you such a great smile, that with you being in real close makes the viewer feel a bit intimidated somehow. Not sure any of this makes sense it's just a feeling I got when viewing.
Like it though it as a very natural look to it. Plus shooting by the window is something I find hard work but you managed it well here.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, I'm glad you said that about the composition as I've been wondering that too. Perhaps I should have used my 70-200 f2.8 instead. Thinking about it now, the 70mm end of the 24-70 possibly is just a little too short and I'm in her face and it intimidates her and the viewer! Had I used the 70-200, I think she would have relaxed a little more too. Thanks for the suggestions.

I should say I used a reflector, although it was silver. I didn't think to use the gold part.

I assume I used matrix for metering. Presumably, my understanding, is that because of the white of the blinds and the backlight, I should of treated it as a backlit portrait and used spot. It didn't even cross my mind to use spot but I can see why now. Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely have a go at revisiting this at the weekend.

Thanks Gaz, I'm glad you said that about the composition as I've been wondering that too. Perhaps I should have used my 70-200 f2.8 instead. Thinking about it now, the 70mm end of the 24-70 possibly is just a little too short and I'm in her face and it intimidates her and the viewer! Had I used the 70-200, I think she would have relaxed a little more too. Thanks for the suggestions.

fwiw I use spot whenever I have the time and I'm not using an external meter.

I like this lots, I like the background - though maybe a different angle and slightly closing the blinds would have tidied it up - and I love the expression. I do think it could do with a bit more room at the bottom.

I'm not sure the reflector is in the 'right' place. I would have tried to get some more light into her eye sockets - her right eye gives the impression of being darker than the left and that's a bit odd as it's nearer the window.

Hope this helps.[emoji1]

:agree:

more light in the facial area to bring up the skin tone and hair texture
a brighter reflector would have helped althout the light from the windows may not have been bright enough
crop the left hand side of the shot a bit since the blinds do detract a bit especially where the bright area is to the upper left

you can compensate a bit here with some pp with the skin tone and overall face brightness, hair detail and killing the background lighting a bit

cheers
geof

Remember John,

Your camera captures it, your mind & editing software finishes it. It's a very good start and a lot of people have told you things that will help, already. With a few small adjustments in Lightroom the picture pops a little better.

14691165_10154623111839859_5826168186528305681_o.jpg

Back