Jackdaw, blackbird and Baikal duck

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I am trying out Elements for the first time, so these seemed like ideal subjects.

5616375405_d9d8c447f2_b.jpg

5616375403_842c206642_b.jpg

5616375397_0cd40abf7d_b.jpg

5616375399_620a18b03c_b.jpg

The Blackbird was taken with the Minolta 70 - 210 f4, and the Baikal duck and the Jackdaw were taken with the manual focus Super Takumar 200 f4.
As always, critique is welcome, particularly as I am just getting used to this new software.
Thanks

Good exposure, so hard to capture such great feather detail in dark feathered birds. Well done !

Overall good shots, not quite sure the white balancce is correct on the first two, but I'm impressed at the excellent job of cloning out the second leg on the duck :D

Overall good shots, not quite sure the white balancce is correct on the first two, but I'm impressed at the excellent job of cloning out the second leg on the duck :D

I tied the other leg behind his back, and told him that I would only free him if he stood still for the camera ;):LOL:

I'm not sure if its the WB on the first two but there seems to be a green cast on them, I would think this is a PP issue. If you shoot in RAW it should be easy to correct, or should I say easier than in JPEG. Elements is a good piece of software and worth working at the get right (y)

Thanks for the comments folks. I had another look at the images (They were processed from RAW files), and the WB was a lot lower than the standard daylight setting in the two images of the blackbirds and the Baikal duck. The Jackdaw was only slightly below. I have adjusted all the images, and when I get a moment, I shall edit and substitute the amended images (I will have to delete the images from FLICKR first, then upload the amended images, then copy the new image URLs across)
Thanks for noticing, there is certainly a lot to think about, and the WB got lost in the detail. The daylight setting in elements is 5500 which I will use on all of the images. I guess that when I make changes in future, the WB should be the first thing to be checked and adjusted.

Andy

Can't you clone in another leg for that duck, I keep thinking it's going to fall over ! :LOL:

Nice and sharp, all of them, and the detail on the blackbird is wonderful. I love Jackdaws, I think they look cool, but that wall spoils the image IMHO.

Steve

Can't you clone in another leg for that duck, I keep thinking it's going to fall over ! :LOL:

Nice and sharp, all of them, and the detail on the blackbird is wonderful. I love Jackdaws, I think they look cool, but that wall spoils the image IMHO.

Steve

I may be able to clone in a leg from something or other, but knowing my luck, it will end up looking like Frankenstein's monster.:)
That Jackdaw never left the sanctuary of that rock, that was the only shot I could get of him looking at me.:shake:
I suppose it is a matter of luck getting all of the elements together at once - light, subject and surroundings.

Here are some reworked images, where I have altered the WB to 5500, and tried to be more consistent with the overall settings. I also upped the Black levels on the images, hoping that it would not hurt the feather detail too much
I have also found another picture of the Jackdaw.

5621498234_587cdf1c79_b.jpg

5621512730_8a8a6bc147_b.jpg

5621498248_f7f62c3ce9_b.jpg

5621498252_176f64095d_b.jpg

I have also added one of a Mallard at the end.

Andy

Back