Jacobs Digital....taking money first?

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
On the 13th of this month I ordered a 430EX II online via their website. I am pretty sure the item was shown as in stock...

Money was immediately taken from my credit card and I've now checked and my item is on back-order :(

So now they have my money and nothing is in the post to me...

Is this standard practice for this firm?

Personally I think it's a poor show to take the cash before they even have an item to ship to me..

I've emailed them asking for clarification but of course have had no reply...

Anyone any views of this firm...

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

It is their standard practice and if new stock comes into them at a higher price they will expect the customer to cough up the extra or cancel the order. I ordered and paid for four lenses in January this year. All were out of stock at the time but you can't complete the order without paying up front. A week or so passed and I phoned to check the situation and that is when they told me the new stock would be dearer and I could pay additional money or cancel. Well stuff that; I had a contract for supply and had paid in full. They were basically quite happy to breach contract. After seeking legal advice I chose to cancel and order elsewhere. It would have been a waste of time and energy to chase them in the courts to meet their obligations.

I re-ordered with Warehouse Express, also out of stock, but no money up front and they only charged as stock became available. They also honoured the price at the time of order, which was actually a little cheaper than Jacobs. All four lenses were delivered eventually and I am very happy with the Warehouse Express service. Jacobs, on the other hand....... :(

I have since made a purchase with Jacobs for something else, not that I was thrilled about it, but they did have the best UK price. I'm not daft enough to cut off my nose to spite my face. That order came through, no problem.

I purchased something from Play and they were out of stock - should be in 1-2 weeks, 4 weeks later it eventually came in to stock and virtually double the price - Play then chaged me when the item was in stock and about to be delivered and also for my original order price. Well done Play (y)

It is their standard practice and if new stock comes into them at a higher price they will expect the customer to cough up the extra or cancel the order. I ordered and paid for four lenses in January this year. All were out of stock at the time but you can't complete the order without paying up front. A week or so passed and I phoned to check the situation and that is when they told me the new stock would be dearer and I could pay additional money or cancel. Well stuff that; I had a contract for supply and had paid in full. They were basically quite happy to breach contract. After seeking legal advice I chose to cancel and order elsewhere. It would have been a waste of time and energy to chase them in the courts to meet their obligations.

I re-ordered with Warehouse Express, also out of stock, but no money up front and they only charged as stock became available. They also honoured the price at the time of order, which was actually a little cheaper than Jacobs. All four lenses were delivered eventually and I am very happy with the Warehouse Express service. Jacobs, on the other hand....... :(

I have since made a purchase with Jacobs for something else, not that I was thrilled about it, but they did have the best UK price. I'm not daft enough to cut off my nose to spite my face. That order came through, no problem.

This does not sound good.

Wonder if it happens to many others just so they can have the money sitting in their account?

Payment isn't taken as such, it's "reserved" by the company from your bank.

I had this happen with an order I placed with Warehouse Express, after a few days the money was back in my account as they couldn't take the reserved amount as the item wasn't in stock.

At least I guess this would be the same practise...

Last edited:
In my case the money was definitely charged to my credit card and had to be refunded when I cancelled the order. Warehouse Express did not charge me until they shipped the goods.

Well my credit card has been debited and if this credit card period comes to an end before I get the lens then i WILL HAVE TO PAY the credit card company - not sure they will take the excuse "sorry I am not going to pay you as I have nt received the goods yet!"

Well I've cancelled my order with them.
Two emails, no replies.
As bought online you have 7 days cooling off period so I phoned them to cancel, also sent it in writing via email AND fax.
I won't be using them again.

It does state on their website that payment is always taken even for out of stock items...what a rip off...

Placed an order with dixons...only £8 more...for the same goods.

Back