Jaguar's

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I travelled to northern Pantanal in Brazil a few weeks ago in search of Jaguar's.

To give myself the best chance of seeing these elusive cat's I spent 5 days staying on a floating 'hotel' in what is widely recognised as being the most prolific Jaguar area in the world.

On the boat journey from Porto Jofre to the hotel, I surveyed the river banks with some concern - densely vegetated, these would be our only chance of seeing Jaguar......

8-9 hours per day were spent on a small boat exploring the Cuiaba river and its many channels and thanks to some excellent guiding and a brilliant boatman, I managed to see seven different individuals during the visit, some of them on multiple occasions.

Female 'Ryan'

Huge young male 'Lika' built like a bear! The most fleeting of sightings.

Male 'Ernest' - estimated to be the largest known jaguar in the world

Young male 'Shy'

Last edited:
Rob - yes, it was tremendous, well worth the long and, at times, uncomfortable journey.

Gav - my pleasure and thank you.

First time out 'in anger' with a mirrorless (Canon R7) body, so there was some trepidation!

Last edited:
Lovely set, Ian, they are probably my favourite big cat.

Wow! What a trip and journey of discovery for you.

They are beautiful enigmatic creatures.

TFS:)

Wonderful pictures Ian, it sounds and looks like the trip of a lifetime :D

Beautiful creature well caught. Well done.

Gosh...gents - Chris, 'Box', Kevin, Alan, Dave, Dale, Lindsay, John - thank you kindly for taking the time to comment, much appreciated. :)

A few more 'variations on the theme'...

Female 'Patricia' in shade, but at least it is interesting shade!

Male 'Shy' showing what willing and good swimmers Jaguar's are:

Wet 'Shy'

'Shy' emerging

Jaguar food (though probably not the Kiskadee!):

Last edited:
Talking of them being capable swimmers and their food. There was a sequence on TV programme in the past couple of years.....the Jaguar leapt into the water to take a Caiman. IIRC it dragged it out of the water and away into riverside vegetation. The Caiman was approx the size of the Jaguar!!!

Yes...a Pantanal cat known as 'Mick Jaguar' (really!!!)

As they kill in one leap, they have no need for lightness/agility/speed so are very thick-set (especially the males) and are therefore immensely strong.

Absolutely awesome images, given the total lack of opportunity for me to go there 2nd hand is my only window on them, thank you indeed for making the view so clear and fabulous.

Mark....I can't tell you how pleased I am that you like my images of these wonderful cats - thank you!

One more...

Last edited:
Another cracking varied set.
Is that an Oxpecker sat on the Capybara or just a random bird taking a break?

Wonderful set of my favourite big cat in its natural environment.

Stunning images OMG what an expodition you had amazing.
The second image of the Jaguar is quality.

Thank you kindly Paul....and yes, the trip certainly lived up to hopes and expectations!

Absolutely beautiful photo's! Don't worry about the doggie shots. everybody get's them and few ever show them!

Cheers Don - it was a great experience being out on the river for 8-9 hours a day looking for these cats.

Back