James Wyatt, (1746-1813) Two Follies

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
James Wyatt was an eminent architect of his day and a contemporary of Robert Adams. He is responsible for designing many Oxford colleges, grand country houses and public buildings during a very prolific career. He is also credited with designing a few garden buildings or follies. He was employed by the wife of the 6th Earl of Coventry to build the very well known Broadway Tower and prior to this had designed the 'Panorama Tower' on the edge of Croome Park, Worcs, the 6th Earl of Coventry's country estate.

They're both charming buildings in wonderful locations. I've only just 'discovered' the P.Tower and intend returning as I can see lots of potential for great shots!

1. Panorama Tower with Malvern Hills behind:

Croome Landscape Park: The Panorama Tower by all you need is light, on Flickr

2. Panorama Tower Mono

Croome Landscape Park: The Panorama Tower by all you need is light, on Flickr

3. Broadway Tower

Broadway Tower by all you need is light, on Flickr

4. Summer House credited to 'Capability' Brown with improvements by Robert Adam C1760

Croome Landscape Park: The Rotunda by all you need is light, on Flickr

5. Temple Greenhouse by Robert Adam 1763

Croome Landscape Park: Temple Greenhouse by all you need is light, on Flickr

The 1st is the best for me, although I think you should clone out the birds. No 4 is my 2nd choice. Not keen on the B & W, and the last one doesn't really work for me. Can you post the colour versions of the B & W ones.

The 1st is the best for me, although I think you should clone out the birds. No 4 is my 2nd choice. Not keen on the B & W, and the last one doesn't really work for me. Can you post the colour versions of the B & W ones.
Hi Roger, When I approached the first one there were four or five times as many birds, I thought they added a bit to the subject but I can understand they may be a distraction. I think the photos are more 'record shots' and illustrative rather than more creative efforts, but I appreciate as a subject there's plenty of scope using better light and trying different compositions.

I can't get to the computer the originals are on at the moment, but I'll gladly put the colour ones up in a couple of days.

Thanks, Tim.

#3 works for me and I can imagine it being a good one to return to :)

I'd rather not see the birds in one but it's a pleasing image as it places the building in context of it's surrounding. Which the B@W doesn't.

I feel with your broadway tower conversion I'd like to see the colour.

I really like 4, the lead in abs shadows give a real atmosphere to the image slightly missing in one.

I'd rather not see the birds in one but it's a pleasing image as it places the building in context of it's surrounding. Which the B@W doesn't.

I feel with your broadway tower conversion I'd like to see the colour.

I really like 4, the lead in abs shadows give a real atmosphere to the image slightly missing in one.
Thanks Steve. When I approached the Panorama tower there were loads of birds but most had flown off by the time I was in position, lots of them might have worked quite well...

I felt t was important to show it in it's setting because that's what the building is all about. I had to include the Malvern Hills in the background which are a dominant feature in the Severn Valley. I took this panorama of the tower at the same time which does a better job and the clouds work well too:

Croome Park: The Panorama Tower - panorama by all you need is light, on Flickr

And the colour Broadway Tower:View attachment 25631

Colour broadway works for me. A lower sun with golden light hitting the tower would really work.

Pano looks good and the open space a great feeling
The thing about this sort of photography as you know, is that the buildings (hopefully) aren't going anywhere and I can keep returning until I get a shot I really like and then I'll still keep going back!

It's literally different every day. :cool:

Reactions: ST4
The thing about this sort of photography as you know, is that the buildings (hopefully) aren't going anywhere and I can keep returning until I get a shot I really like and then I'll still keep going back!

It's literally different every day. :cool:

True. But we lost a great pier on the south coast (Brighton or Eastbourne). Both epic sunrise locations, I had planned on going.

Same with the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Glasgow school of art.

I'm planning a big CRM blog for my site, for fun really and it'll be a while before I complete.

I'm going to go against the flow here and say I quite like the birds in the first photo, it's just a shame there wasn't a few more of them. I also prefer the mono version of Broadway tower :)

Back