Jane Bown - Faces

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wanted to call out this book - I treated myself to an ex-library copy - and have to say if you're into black and white portraits this is a wonderful book. Really wonderful. The fact that Jane Bown just used natural light and usually took just a couple of cameras (one for the photo, and one for back-up, I assume) makes this wonderful shots even more impressive. Recommended.

Just wanted to call out this book - I treated myself to an ex-library copy - and have to say if you're into black and white portraits this is a wonderful book. Really wonderful. The fact that Jane Bown just used natural light and usually took just a couple of cameras (one for the photo, and one for back-up, I assume) makes this wonderful shots even more impressive. Recommended.
Fantastic book, there’s also a dvd that goes with it (Looking for the light).
And I think she used a body with a 50mm and one with an 85mm.
And she kept them in her handbag.

Edit - just realised the book I have is ‘Exposures’.

Last edited:
Old thread revival….
I was bought an old press photo of Alec Issigonis as a gift that hadn’t been published. I was pleasantly pleased that the info on the back stated it was a Jane Bown shot. I had it mounted and framed with glass on the back so the back of the photo can still be seen

I also have a book "Jane Bown A Lifetime of Looking".
I particularly like the latter pages containing celebrity images - all seem to draw out the actual character rather than just some set up pose.

Back