Jessops - do they all employ clueless staff?

Then they draft in the part time staff on a weekend to deal with all the customers, whilst the full time staff are sat at home.

Which is why I find it easier to go to Jessops during the week than at the weekend. I'm not doubting that some of the weekend staff are keen, and sometimes knowledgeable, but I can walk into the Doncaster store on a Monday morning, and have one of the guys behind the counter how I'm getting on with my camera and stuff.

I bought my first proper digital camera last year from my local branch of Wilkinsons. They couldn't have been more helpful. I hadn't a clue what I wanted or needed, being a total newbie, but with their help I decided on a Samsung S850 compact camera which has been (and continues to be) a superb purchase.

I went back to them when I had an unexpected windfall and decided to go for a DSLR. Again, the service and the technical help couldn't be faulted, particularly as I really didn't have much of a clue! I'm sure they cringed every time I walked through the door....!

I visited the store during my lunch hour for several days, trying out Nikon/Canon etc, until I made my final choice, and they didn't once lose patience with me! They actually listened to what I wanted to get from my photography, and pointed me towards the Oly that I eventually purchased. I could have spent several hundred pounds more than I did and they knew what I had available to spend, but at no point was I pressured into something just to make a sale. They made sure that I got what I needed, not what they wanted to sell to make commission.

Since then I've made a point of buying almost everything from them...camera bag, filters, memory cards, batteries etc. I know I could have got everything much cheaper on that nasty interweb thingie, but it's so reassuring to find a shop that really seems to care about their customers.

Local, friendly shops are few and far between these days...use them or lose them!

Janet

Last edited:
another -1 for jessops metrocentre,i bought a manfrotto momopod from them,had to wait about 6 weeks for them to get it in,normally shop online,& only bought it there as i'd won a £ 50 gift card in a photo comp,when i picked it up i asked about a head for the monopod,the guy behind the counter wasn't at all interested and suggested i order one online

the guy behind the counter wasn't at all interested and suggested i order one online

When I asked for a catalogue on the way out, the guy said "You'd be better looking on the website and ordering from there as the prices are up-to-date on the net"

Practically talking himself out of a job!

always get good service and clued up staff at the Leicester branch... it would have cost nothing for you to speak up 'is this not your area s I feel you are lacking in advice, is there someone else available who has good knowledge of this product?'.... the girl was probably a Saturday staff who had strayed from the till or photo print service..

it would have cost nothing for you to speak up 'is this not your area s I feel you are lacking in advice, is there someone else available who has good knowledge of this product?'.... the girl was probably a Saturday staff who had strayed from the till or photo print service..

I'm going to go back without my wife and kids so I can have a proper look and make sure I don't get the numpty assistant. I didn't want to challenge her knowledge/make a scene in front of my family.

The one near me usually isn't too bad... the one bad time I do remember though... I was after a 70-200 2.8... This was at the same time I was buying my 50D... I asked if they had the 70-200 in stock to be told that they didn't but I could have a look at the Nikon 70-200 if I wanted!

They really need to sort out their in store prices and web prices as well - like I said with my enlargements I ordered, there seemed to be no continuity at all.

It would be nice if they would sell Pentax products as well becaue Pentax do so quite good entry level and high end cameras, at quite competitive prices yet they don't sell them at Jessops.

Last time I went to buy a new camera I tried Jessops first, was met with an indifferent salesman so went off to John Lewis
If anything the bloke there was even less interested, brought out the boxed camera and went to scan it at the till

Last port of call was Curry's wasn't expecting much, but got lucky and the chap was obviously a keen photographer. We ended up having quite a lengthy chat, also knocked a few quid off which paid for the bus fares and my lunch.

Think its just luck of the draw and depends whether the staff are actually interested/knowledgeable or just there to sell.

There is an independent shop, but they wanted nearly a hundred quid more which ruled them out i'm afraid in these recessionary times (just a tight old git really)

It would be nice if they would sell Pentax products as well becaue Pentax do so quite good entry level and high end cameras, at quite competitive prices yet they don't sell them at Jessops.

Pentax pulled their credit due to Jessops iffy trading status so Pentax cameras suddenly became "not worth stocking"
Sigma quickly followed and so Tamron became Jessops "preferred" lens manufacturer

Last edited:
I worked there for 2 years, 1st year for £5 an hour and second year for £5.75 an hour.

I could have earned more working at a supermarket or a fast food chain, and I'm currently earning 10p more than that per hour at Legoland.

I was one of the few members of staff in my store who actually had a clue what he was talking about, but that's only because I liked cameras.

If you need a job, as a kid, working for minimum wage, you take the one you can get. If that means working at Jessops, you take it.
Some of the staff don't have a clue, you take it with a pinch of salt.

Canon 450d felt much better, but is more than my budget as I'd like to get some sort of zoom lens too. They had the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI lens on special when you bought a DSLR, anyone have any thoughts on this lens?

What is your budget? They're doing this offer - 450D + kit lens + Canon 75mm-300mm for £549 until Wednesday this week.

Am seriously tempted myself. Only thing that's putting me off slightly is no IS on the zoom but maybe I could live with that for now. :cautious:

EDIT: Forgot linky! http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77408/show.html?cm_re=290410-_-Home-_-rotate2_canon450d

are you in the market for second hand?

im putting a 450d up tomorrow with kit lens and zoom lens etc..

keep an eye on the sale forum if you are ;)

Thanks for the offer. However......

I've just won a 400d with 28-300mm lens and battery grip on eBay for £277, I couldn't resist. the 400d seems to usually go for about £160-£180 body only, the lens sells for around £100, the battery grip around £30 and it also comes with a bag and 4 batteries.

I needed to upgrade the s9600 as the battery door is broken and needs elastic bands to keep it shut, it eats batteries and won't work with rechargeable AAs.

The 400d doesn't seem too different to the 1000d on paper, and the zoom lens that comes with it seems to have good reviews. Obviously it isn't brand new, but it is a step in the right direction and should see me for a couple of years all being well.

Fingers crossed it arrives and is in as good nick as the advert claimed.

I think I might get a 50mm lens in the future, but let's see the quality of the zoom lens first.

Just looking at their careers section on their website and noticed this for a Sales Expert job requirements:

Skills and Knowledge required:

Specifically does not need previous retail or photography experience.

Must have social skills to enable easy interaction and dialogue with customers.

Must have a passion for customers.

Must have a desire and ability to sell and close a sale (talking jargon is not good enough or our modern requirement)

The enthusiasm to learn and the aptitude to do so using on line and social networking platforms.

Would having SOME photograpy knowledge or experience not be exactly what they would want? It would be better phrased Does not need previous retail or photography experience but it is preferable if you do.

Basically from what I can see all they seem to care about is if you can suck the customer right in and close a sale. Their a photography shop for gods sake, and they don't seem to care about the actual products they are selling.:thumbsdown:

I need a job and that particular one is real close to me so I might apply for it.

Ive never really used Jessops. I like Cecil Jacobs, their superstore branch in Leicester is excellent. The staff went out of their way just before Christmas to find the camera I wanted.. there werent many in stock in the country, but the girl was ringing all the shops and almost begging them to send her one!

They seem to know their stuff as well. Ive always used that particular store, even though stuff is cheaper online... I just think well I can take it back and ask for advice if I need it.

Surely though if you actually understand the product your selling though, you will be able to sell more anyway as the customer will feel as if you are giving them good advice and are not trying to rip them off.

That's exactly what Jessops need to do, strike a balance between pushing sales and the staff actually knowing about what they are selling then more people are likely to buy from them.

Personally I've never had any problems at Jessops Sunderland or Newcastle.
Staff there have always been very helpful and knowledgeable ..

I can vouch for the Sunderland store as well, the elderly chap who works there really knows his stuff & often displays some of his pics inside the store.

He was also really patient, when my youngest lad bought his first digital camera (Nikon coolpix) he had time for all his queries & questions & did not pressurise him into making a purchase.

I had about the best and worst of Jessops - the worst from the Westfield centre branch, who upon hearing I was unsure between two fairly expensive cameras (7D and 5DMkII) as well as a few extra bits and that I "may" buy there and then if it was worth it...went as far as opening up both cameras on their website, clicking compare and reading out the differences to me. And then told me just to google it. Seriously.

The New Oxford Street branch were great though - I got to play with both cameras, I was being spoken to by someone who knew what they were talking about, at length. I'd already got a decision in mind, but I felt a lot more confident with it by the end.

Then I went home, got online and bought it. Ahem.

(First post, etc.)

I had what i'd class as a poor service yesterday (Jessops outside Buchannan Galleries in Glasgow). I asked if they knew if an aqua pack they had on the shelf would fit a D700 with 24-120 and was immediately butted into mid sentence and told to get an underwater housing. My interest in an aqua pack is that i'll be on a boat for a week (livaboard dive boat) and the aqua pack would be purely to protect the camera from salty air and sea spray. I don't class myself as a good enough diver to have a compact with me so forget the D700.

He was quite rude in his response though which is my main grumble.

My first poor experience, overall i've been happy with Jessops.

The New Oxford Street branch were great though - I got to play with both cameras, I was being spoken to by someone who knew what they were talking about, at length. I'd already got a decision in mind, but I felt a lot more confident with it by the end.

Then I went home, got online and bought it. Ahem.

(First post, etc.)

And you wonder why Jessops bother to try and invest in knowledgable staff to begin with. Jessops profit margins are that tight anyway what with trying to support a brick and mortar store so people can try the cameras - what they dont need are freeloaders like you using their facilities and then buying elsewhere online because its a few quid cheaper. You obviosuly rated their advice but just didnt want to pay for it.

if you was aware how much pressure the "minimum wage" staff are under behind the scenes, I think you would lay off them abit. They have about 5 targets that they need to reach individually on a daily basis, and if they consistantly underachieve they are walking out of the same front door that you did

if you was aware how much pressure the "minimum wage" staff are under behind the scenes, I think you would lay off them abit. They have about 5 targets that they need to reach individually on a daily basis, and if they consistantly underachieve they are walking out of the same front door that you did

Surely that's the incentive to understand products and basic model numbers?

They want to keep their jobs, right?

Sorry if I'm a little blunt but I'm still a little miffed after my run in with a "sales expert" today.

I was buying a retirement gift for a frend at work,he said he would like a coppy of photoshop elements for his avation photography,went into the Warrington branch of Jessops and asked for Elements and was told to try Curries as they were not a electrical store,,big sigh and walked out,oh dear,glad I was not spending a wad of cash

I've just put a post up in the Talk Photography section after another superb visit to Jessops, yet again they've done a cracking job.

In short, the card reader on my 500D had failed where it could not read any cards put in the camera. Rather than micky mousing aroundChris in the shop went and got another 500D from out back swapped them over with no mess and enabled me to get straight back out and shooting, no questions asked, no fuss...

I couldn't ask for better service :D

Correct.

Much like I rate the advice on places such as this forum, and also don't pay for it.

Nothing to get too smug about. When people like you have driven Jessops out of business who will you cosy up to then to try out kit before you go off and buy online for a 50p saving??

Some people are so small minded it's pathetic.

:shake:

Nothing to get too smug about. When people like you have driven Jessops out of business who will you cosy up to then to try out kit before you go off and buy online for a 50p saving??

Some people are so small minded it's pathetic.

:shake:

I'd probably use distance selling regulations, or just ask a friend.

Although for the record, I actually bought it off Jessops online as it wasn't in stock in the store. But if by giving them £2400 I have driven them out of business, I can only apologise.

I'd probably use distance selling regulations, or just ask a friend.

Although for the record, I actually bought it off Jessops online as it wasn't in stock in the store. But if by giving them £2400 I have driven them out of business, I can only apologise.

Why imply you bought it elsewhere then? Is it not "cool" to admit you actually bought it from Jessops?

I'd rather not have used them, that is for certain. The useful guys in New Oxford Street aside, my experiences with them haven't been great at all.

But I wanted the interest free credit.

Correct.

Much like I rate the advice on places such as this forum, and also don't pay for it.

If you can't work out the distinction between the two then you don't deserve to be on this forum. You get free advice on this forum but it is also hoped that you contribute in return as that is how forums work. However, I doubt you will be freeloading from the forum in the long run which is basically what you did with Jessops.

I went in my local Jessops (Truro) a couple of times - on 1 hand they didn't even have basic knowledge of some of the cameras, now I appreciate there's a lot but I would expect very basic of each make.

That said they did their best to be helpful, but were still quite pushy. I know it is their job but I don't want to be spending £800 on a camera without making sure it's the right choice. They did however tell me that (i think this is ok to say?) for the D300s they're selling currently £1159 their trade price is apparently £1180 odd. Basically they only win if you buy other bits (and the lens I was looking at was only breaking even), and the bloke was clearly disheartened when he couldn't sell a warranty package to us.

Ultimately though... I got my camera elsewhere for the same price, somewhere I got better advice and service, where I wasn't made to feel like me wanting to look at the camera before buying wasn't just being awkward. And from the place I bought I could've probably saved about £50 in total online, however this bloke spent probably an hour or so with me and was more knowledgable.

I had what i'd class as a poor service yesterday (Jessops outside Buchannan Galleries in Glasgow). I asked if they knew if an aqua pack they had on the shelf would fit a D700 with 24-120 and was immediately butted into mid sentence and told to get an underwater housing. My interest in an aqua pack is that i'll be on a boat for a week (livaboard dive boat) and the aqua pack would be purely to protect the camera from salty air and sea spray. I don't class myself as a good enough diver to have a compact with me so forget the D700.

He was quite rude in his response though which is my main grumble.

My first poor experience, overall i've been happy with Jessops.

Far better to take a saunter up Sauchiehall St and use that branch (y)

Back