Jessops re-opening

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
From today Jessops will be re-opening with 30-40 stores nationwide and a new website opening from mid-day - will be interesting to see what happens :)

Details

Last edited:
He was saying on the news this morning, they launch the web site at noon and the prices you can get in store are the same as on line - really hope it works out and as they're opening 30-40 stores, hopefully they'll be staffed well with knowledgeable staff, and costs can be kept down and savings made to the customers.

One comment Peter Jones made, made me smile "people go into the store to see what they want, then go and buy it online as it's cheaper" lets hope this translates to good prices in store as he obviously has knows some of the reasons why it failed ...

Comet tried to match online prices and they went bust. The camera market is shrinking as more people are using phones instead of compacts. Unless the assistants are knowledgeable there will be no compelling reason to go into the shops. If the prices aren't near the best on camerapricebuster then they won't sell online either. I don't see how with the overheads it can be possible to provide competitive prices and good service unless he's got a deal with manufacturers to be supplied at a cheaper price than everyone else.

WE desperately need one in the Walsall area, our nearest decent camera store is miles away ie Stafford or possibly Birmingham. Lets hope they are not the silly stores like before that only had gift type camera stuff for sale, didn't even have demo Nikon D600/800 to look at. Of course we do have Curry's super store some miles away but they only have a limited range and possibly just salesmen not into photography for advise

Realspeed

Last edited:
WE desperately need one in the Walsall area, our nearest decent camera store is miles away ie Stafford or possibly Birmingham. Lets hope they are not the silly stores like before that only had gift type camera stuff for sale, didn't even have demo Nikon D600/800 to look at. Of course we do have Curry's super store some miles away but they only have a limited range and possibly just salesmen not into photography for advise

Realspeed

The jessops in ipswich stopped doing high end bodies on display after a few got nicked during open hours
That could be the reason but they said it depends on the size of the store to

This would account for the sudden flurry of activity in Manchester's Arndale branch then I assume.

Isn't Peter Jones part of the consortium who kick started the web site, not sure about the shops though.
Dave

They will be fine as long as they don't charge the same crazy prices...:|

I guess we'll see in 12 mins

Last edited:
I must confess I have been keeping an eye on it as I used to live in Leicestershire & knew people who worked at their HQ.

lol

Don't tell me they've gone into liquidation already! :puke:

I truly hope you went for that pee!

As it happens I did :clap:

But now feeling peckish and might want an early lunch :D

Its a long exposure :LOL:

I just watched a short interview with PJ on BBC News. If they really can pitch their prizes to compete with the likes of Amazon & co whilst having bricks & mortar stores then I for one will be very happy to support them.

I am probably one of those guilty of trying cameras out then buying online. In general I do like to support UK stores, especially our local high street stores whom otherwise may disappear but at the same time that willingness to support has limits. If I can get the same item from Amazon on next day delivery and save hundreds then I simply can't afford to ignore that sort of saving.

Do you think it was all talk...............?????????????

I'm over the moon with this. Like many, I had a £50 voucher when they went bust and I've probably spent quite a significant amount of money with them on several items over recent years. I can honestly say I've missed the convenience of them a lot over the last two months and just hope we get one up here in the North East. Fingers crossed they can make it work this time and feels good to have them back.

I'm over the moon with this. Like many, I had a £50 voucher when they went bust and I've probably spent quite a significant amount of money with them on several items over recent years. I can honestly say I've missed the convenience of them a lot over the last two months and just hope we get one up here in the North East. Fingers crossed they can make it work this time and feels good to have them back.

I commented in the other thread that I hope the Metro Centre could be reopened, it was newly renovated so hopefully is on their list for opening again.

If anyone was still wondering, still no sign of the site! I think somebody will get their *@"$ kicked for this one. :D

Perhaps the poor IT bod who was problably only told by the management this morning that the was going live at midday.

Wouldn't be the first time IT has been kept out of the loop with management decisions.

Back