joby gorilla pods

Doh! :bang: I've just come back from there! I'll have to remember next time I go.

:thinking: Hmmm.....didn't have room in the trolley tonight anyway!

If you buy one whatever you do do not hang it off a tree with your prized camera attached, or you'll be sorrrry :LOL:

No,I found the SLR version wouldn't even cling onto a fence with a D50 and a Tamron 17-50 on it, so there was no way I was going to risk anything more adverturous, in fact it had trouble even supporting the combo standing on a table top.

My one holds a flash up very well, I wouldn't trust a camera on it.

incredibly gimmicky, relying on branding to sell, as opposed to being actually useful.

I'd trust a clapped out P&S on it, but nothing of value.

Bought one ages ago and didn't trust it, but they do have a use with camcorders :)
Gave mine to a friend who takes video of a band he is connected with and he finds it invaluable to attach to chairs etc in clubs and pubs

Locally, speaking to people at nature reserves etc., have heard some horror stories about them.

A problem further down the line is that the clasps/grip loses tightness as well as the arms tend to get brittle.

I went to Asda yesterday to have a look at them, thought they would be bigger/sturdier. I would only trust it with a compact camera and not a DSLR, maybe if it was one of the bigger more robust ones.

Last edited:
Can't say I've ever had a problem with mine, though the heaviest lens I own is a Sigma 17-70, but I use my 486RC ball head on too, and it's fine! :)

Edit, just realised I own the DSLR Zoom version, not the SLR version

Last edited:
I have the SLR Zoom version for a travel tripod, and it's very handy. It can hold a 20D + Tammy 17-50 no problem. I got a £5 quick release from jessops for it.

It's a bit low, but you get over it... :D Great for hillwalking and backpacking..

The SLR version is a bit weedy. I'd only trust it with smaller DSLRs and kit lenses.

I went to Asda yesterday to have a look at them, thought they would be bigger/sturdier. I would only trust it with a compact camera and not a DSLR, maybe if it was one of the bigger more robust ones.

The one I got a couple of days ago would'nt even hold the compact without it flopping over. It's repacked along with the receipt to get my money back when I go back to asda, complete waste of space.

Back