Just been asked to do a really interesting shoot - advice please

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I've just been offered the chance to shoot a really interesting project and thought I'd ask some advice on here how people would go about it. Obviously it's not paid, but it gives me a chance to practice and it's for a really good cause.

To cut a long story short, I work for the FCO at one of our embassies overseas. Later this year there's a big summit taking place on a initiative to tackle sexual violence in conflict zones. Angelina Jolie is the main patron and will be there, and although I don't get to shoot her (!) I've been asked to take a series of shots that will be projected throughout the summit. Obviously it won't be just my photos, as the whole point is to demonstrate support around the world... but still. Pretty exciting!

All I need to do is take portrait shots of colleagues in the embassy holding up a sign (white paper), but I want to make it as creative as possible. I've seen photos others have done and to be honest, they're terrible. So there's very little expectation on me personally, but I'd love to get some really powerful images from it.

The main problem I have is that I've only ever done posed portraiture once, and that was in a studio with £100000000's worth of gear. Now I need to come up with a something using what I already have, which is only a couple of speedlights. I've got triggers to fire them also but no light stands / modifiers etc. I don't mind spending a little cash, but would really appreciate advice on what might be good for this purpose. I was thinking along the lines of a low key shot with the following.

2 x light stands
2 x soft boxes (size?)
1 x 3in1 reflector

Any advice appreciated!!!!

Windowlight, if there's blinds you have control, if you have a reflector you have even more control.

Windowlight, if there's blinds you have control, if you have a reflector you have even more control.

Thanks Phil, but there's hardly anywhere with sufficient window light... Security reasons.

Observe the light (what little there is). Pose person in the light. Stick flash where the light is coming from (e.g. window) and turn it on.

Take pics that look like the window light but brighter.

Don't get me started on the fact the William Hague can't afford to pay a photographer now.

Observe the light (what little there is). Pose person in the light. Stick flash where the light is coming from (e.g. window) and turn it on.

Take pics that look like the window light but brighter.

Don't get me started on the fact the William Hague can't afford to pay a photographer now.

Well we've got over 100 embassies, so that would be 100 photographers. None of which work for British businesses and as such don't contribute to the economy..... Anyway, politics isn't my thing!

Have a look at Strobist 101. It's a great blog and introduction to flash, and all shots on there are explained in terms of lighting.
I'd say with 2x flash, a couple of stands, a pop up softbox and a white board to act as a reflector you can do some pretty good stuff.
Remember if you're shooting in ambient light that there are two exposures going on - the one with the ambient (controllable by shutter speed and aperture) and the one from the flash (shutter speed makes no difference, it's only controlled by aperture)...

There's an ad for a similar event in London on the tube.

Twitter @end_svc

Have a look at Strobist 101. It's a great blog and introduction to flash, and all shots on there are explained in terms of lighting.
I'd say with 2x flash, a couple of stands, a pop up softbox and a white board to act as a reflector you can do some pretty good stuff.
Remember if you're shooting in ambient light that there are two exposures going on - the one with the ambient (controllable by shutter speed and aperture) and the one from the flash (shutter speed makes no difference, it's only controlled by aperture)...

Cheers I'll take a look!

Thanks for your contribution. Very helpful.

I'm not sure when the lighting forum became such and angry place, but this is why I seldom post here any more.

By all means look at Strobist - it's a great resource and has the answer to pretty much all lighting questions and a direction to look there is generally a politer version of "learn to light stuff".

The method I listed above is probably how I would light it myself - it's impossible to give a full answer without seeing the location and understanding the brief a little more fully. You're welcome, by the way.

I'm not sure when the lighting forum became such and angry place, but this is why I seldom post here any more.

By all means look at Strobist - it's a great resource and has the answer to pretty much all lighting questions and a direction to look there is generally a politer version of "learn to light stuff".

The method I listed above is probably how I would light it myself - it's impossible to give a full answer without seeing the location and understanding the brief a little more fully. You're welcome, by the way.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. I read your "oh, ok" post as being sarcastic.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick. I read your "oh, ok" post as being sarcastic.
Maybe it was because you replied to his throwaway political point but not to the answer he gave to your question?
That's just a guess :)

Thanks to those who previously replied, even you Jonathan :D

So this is the location where I'll be shooting. I'll be using the white screen as the backdrop, and have use of the equipment listed in my original post. The room looks fairly light in this room but it's actually quite dark.

11shu6c.jpg

This is a photo MrsExile let me take of her just to practice lighting (so excuse the background!). I wanted to see if the board would catch the reflection of the lights, which it didn't. Do you think this is well lit, or do you think it could be a bit more dramatic? I was experimenting and this was shot with a soft box and shoot through umbrella in front and off to each side, at 45 degrees.

iqfzpt.jpg

Any advice, tips, or things to try? It's only close colleagues tomorrow, so I have time to practice! :)

It could be more dramatic ;) however as (I'm assuming) you have a number of people to shoot, and limited time to do it its fine as it stands - I'd use a less busy background though. If the board catches the light when others hold it have them angle it down slightly

It could be more dramatic ;) however as (I'm assuming) you have a number of people to shoot, and limited time to do it its fine as it stands - I'd use a less busy background though. If the board catches the light when others hold it have them angle it down slightly

Thanks hugh. Yes, that isn't the background I'll be using, that's just me messing about in the apartment. The background is in the first pic, minus the big TV looking thing, so basically just a plain white background! Yes I was thinking about angling the board if I need to.

Any ideas how I can make the light a bit more interesting? As it is with the two flashes from 45 degrees it looks like it will be well lit, if not a little flat/boring!

Cheers

Do you want the light dropping off on the sign they're holding? Would it be worth adding a spot light to make it stand out more?

Taking what you've already got I'd wonder if adding a back light would help, seems a shame that the hair is lost completely.

Do you want the light dropping off on the sign they're holding? Would it be worth adding a spot light to make it stand out more?

Taking what you've already got I'd wonder if adding a back light would help, seems a shame that the hair is lost completely.

Thanks Simon, yes having a back light would be great, but I'm limited as I only have two strobes available. Do you think it might be possible to light the left side and use the little ambient light from the window take care of the right? That would give me the extra flash to use at a rim light?

Thanks hugh. Yes, that isn't the background I'll be using, that's just me messing about in the apartment. The background is in the first pic, minus the big TV looking thing, so basically just a plain white background! Yes I was thinking about angling the board if I need to.

Any ideas how I can make the light a bit more interesting? As it is with the two flashes from 45 degrees it looks like it will be well lit, if not a little flat/boring!

Cheers

Its pretty well lit, but just a little flat - which for an unknown number of people and amount of time may we'll be fine.

Thanks Simon, yes having a back light would be great, but I'm limited as I only have two strobes available. Do you think it might be possible to light the left side and use the little ambient light from the window take care of the right? That would give me the extra flash to use at a rim light?

I'm not experienced enough to say with absolute certainty but I would think not or at least not resulting in the kind of pop I think you're looking for (plus the weather has been pretty overcast lately).

You could try with a softbox directly overhead (doubt a reflector behind would help much), the 2nd flash from either side with a silver/white reflector opposite.

Ok so here's the first one. Fairly pleased with it :)

CC welcome.

2qlz56t.jpg

Yeah, I'd fill from the front.....

This pic looks very different from the one above - which I kind of liked. If you didn't change anything then the walls are messing things up for you.

You have the hatchet lighting thing going on with a dark stripe running down the middle (BTW I just Googled hatchet lighting to make sure I didn't make the term up - most people use it to mean something slightly different. I mean there is light from both sides and less light in the middle. Like he's been hit in the face with a hatchet of darkness. Yes, my lighting descriptions are always this much fun.)

Also his right (camera left) hand is overlit and left (camera right) is in deep shadow and I can't see any real reason why you'd want to do that.

It's a nice enough image - but I really think one light above eyeline and behind you would have given similar but better. This looks lit (as opposed to natural) but not sufficiently that it's interesting. It's in the middle ground between natural and dramatic and so really doesn't work for me.

BTW are my eyes playing tricks here or is he out of focus?

Yeah, I'd fill from the front.....

This pic looks very different from the one above - which I kind of liked. If you didn't change anything then the walls are messing things up for you.

You have the hatchet lighting thing going on with a dark stripe running down the middle (BTW I just Googled hatchet lighting to make sure I didn't make the term up - most people use it to mean something slightly different. I mean there is light from both sides and less light in the middle. Like he's been hit in the face with a hatchet of darkness. Yes, my lighting descriptions are always this much fun.)

Also his right (camera left) hand is overlit and left (camera right) is in deep shadow and I can't see any real reason why you'd want to do that.

It's a nice enough image - but I really think one light above eyeline and behind you would have given similar but better. This looks lit (as opposed to natural) but not sufficiently that it's interesting. It's in the middle ground between natural and dramatic and so really doesn't work for me.

BTW are my eyes playing tricks here or is he out of focus?

Yeah I did change things up but it was just because I felt under pressure and only had 15 seconds or so to get the shot. The shot above of my better half was with flashes on stands, whereas with the one I just posted it was with two colleagues holding the flash and modifiers while they were laughing!

Thanks for the heads up on hatchet lighting. I see what you mean so I'll make sure I've got light stands tomorrow so I'm actually in control, rather than colleagues!

Pretty sure he was in focus, but I'll bare it in mind for tomorrow! Cheers

I think it's in focus, the expression might be part of the problem as his left eye looks smaller and the lighting has put fairly dark shadows towards the nose enhancing the effect.

I have read this thread with interest, and my only comment would be that I feel you might be allowing your photographic interest to over-think, or over-style this. I don't believe anyone is expecting fine art portraiture from these images - they are for projection display in the background and the aim is not about creating a mood and creative lighting but to show a series of various countries employees holding the white card.

A basic setup with lighting that works for all genders, races, and ages and allows you to keep it "tight and bright" and evenly lit would deliver the goods and make the job of shooting your set of people considerably easier. In which case I'd echo Jonathan's suggestion:

I have read this thread with interest, and my only comment would be that I feel you might be allowing your photographic interest to over-think, or over-style this. I don't believe anyone is expecting fine art portraiture from these images - they are for projection display in the background and the aim is not about creating a mood and creative lighting but to show a series of various countries employees holding the white card.

A basic setup with lighting that works for all genders, races, and ages and allows you to keep it "tight and bright" and evenly lit would deliver the goods and make the job of shooting your set of people considerably easier. In which case I'd echo Jonathan's suggestion:

Agree with this. You have neither the equipment nor situation to do much creative - even if it was wanted.

try to keep it simple and fit the brief, some years back I shot the new kit for a football team, we opted for something dramatic and moody, with kick lights etc capturing players in movement - great shots, we were proud of them, the graphics people loved them but feedback from some fans when they went public was that they couldn't see enough of the kit because of the shadows - as photographers we naturally love to create something special but sadly that's not always what's required

I have the (very detailed) photography specifications around somewhere from Adidas and basically it all about very standard poses and very flat lighting, not creative at all but it pays the bills

what about adding a little more drama, creativity....

sit them on the desk, sit them on the floor, get them standing on the desk looking down at the camera....

does it have to be a standard pose, straight on....?

by all means take the standard shot, then just go crazy..... you never know, they may just stand out that little bit more....

Thanks for the replies everyone. very very much appreciated.

I had such a s*** day today I can't even begin to explain. I'd taken on board the advice about keeping it simple and threw a couple light stands in the car to help with that process. So off I go, jump in the front seat, turn the key - nothing. My car of six years decides to die on me on the day I need to get my wife to hospital for a minor op and get the light stands to work to get some shots. Great.

By the time I got to work on the hottest day of the year so far (and my day off :muted: :muted:) I was drenched in sweat and ready to kill someone. Thankfully everyone was very accommodating and actually enjoyed joining in as my assistants and holding soft boxes and the like. So all's well that ends well. Anyway, here's the final shots... I know there's things with each of them, but I had about 30 second max with each of them so I'm still fairly happy.... Now where's my drink :beer:

2zqdcia.jpg

I hope you'll be paying amazon their share for photographing against a white background lmao ;)

If the lighting was consistent I might find myself in trouble Carl. As it is, it isn't... so I think I'm safe :D

Is it my eyes or the web compression? None of those look sharp to me. The signs look OK but the people's faces not so much.

Is it my eyes or the web compression? None of those look sharp to me. The signs look OK but the people's faces not so much.

Nope your eyes are right here, the last group were all soft. I assume that's just down to how they were re-sized to fit together?

Nope you're right. This shot is for Instagram only so was put together using an iPad app. Hence the reduced quality. I've sent the high quality images off separately for them to do with as they please.

The lighting will vary from shot to shot because it was continuously being passed from person to person. Please bare in mind this is the first time I've used any of this equipment, Jonathan.

The lighting will vary from shot to shot because it was continuously being passed from person to person. Please bare in mind this is the first time I've used any of this equipment, Jonathan.

I didn't comment on your lighting.

Srsly, this just reminds me why I stay out of the lighting forum.

If you want advice ask for it. If you don't want to follow it, that's cool. But quit with the attitude.

If you want advice ask for it. If you don't want to follow it, that's cool. But quit with the attitude.
agreed

No you didn't - you just said "faces not so much" so I drew my own conclusions.

If there's a reason to stay out of any forum, particularly one asking for advice, it's because you're not very good at giving it. I'm still at a total loss as to why you seem to have a problem with me, unless Phil was right and you were offended with my line about politics not being my thing. In which case... I'm lost for words.

Thanks to those taking the time to reply - really appreciate it.

MODS - feel free to delete this thread.

Just read this thread and very intresting read it was too. I have never done anything at all like this (too scared) and don't feel confident enough. Anyways just wanted to thank Adam for actually showing us the results of his efforts as this is very rare on the forums for some reason, well done too :) I was thinking though, did you not get the stands to work or not have the time to set them up ? Plus with my limited knowledge should the lights have been higher ? Or would that not have been dramatic enough for you?

Gaz

Last edited:
Back