Just come down from the Isle of Skye

Edit My Images
Yes
First time in a few years I've been away for more than a couple of days solely to take photographs. Almost all my landscape stuff is taken on a dedicated photographic trip but it's not usually so intensive as the 4 days I had here.

We'll get on to the photographs, I'll try and do a little back story to each image too.

1. Drove up to Edinburgh on the Wednesday evening, stayed with my folks and headed off up to Rannoch Moor for sunrise on the Thursday. Wasn't particularly bothered about being there for sunrise itself so didn't really leave early enough as I arrived to Lochan N'ah Achlaise around the time the sky was lighting up. My plan was to climb up Bienn a' Chrùlaiste for some early morning sunlight but I made a quick stop of at Lochan N'ah Achlaise as the colours were too good to miss.

8252163687_0c5b255665_c.jpg

50mm | F16 | 1.3s

2. I then popped on my hiking boots and began my 5 hour climb for this panorama from Bienn a' Chrùlaiste showing most notably Buachaille Etive Mor and the three sisters of Glencoe.

I'd recce'd Stob Bienn a' Chrùlaiste a few winters back and discovered I needed the light to be pre 10am from that spot which is at the North side of Bienn a' Chrùlaiste. I initially headed up the side of the mountain halfway between the main peak and it's Stob but once there decided I needed more height and kept climbing. This image is made about 20 metres shy of the main summit.

Buachaille Etive Mor and the Three Sisters of Glencoe by Ally Mac, on Flickr
3x shots @ 29mm | F9 | 1/160s

3. Continuing my drive up to Skye and if you've been to the Isle of Skye you'll know that in almost all cases you have to drive past Eilean Donan Castle. You'll also know that unless you are a local it's a criminal offence to drive past it without getting out the camera (okay that might well be a lie, but not many people would be arrested even if that was the case).

Anyhoo, I couldn't resist stopping myself especially as the night was approaching, and I knew the dusky shot I was after wouldn't require too long a wait.

8252163811_503a9a0d53_c.jpg

50mm | 10s | F6.3 | CPL + 0.6 hard + 0.3 hard

4. Check into my B&B, get some sleep and then out the door to Sligachan for sunrise. I was rather aching from my hike the previous day so didn't fancy anything to strenuous which is why I chose here. This is the only light all day as about 20 minutes after the sun rose it started raining and didn't stop all day with thick grey cloud.

8252163945_cda46bc6f4_c.jpg

24mm | 0.5s | F8 | CPL | layer mask merge of 3 bracketed exposures

5. The sun lighting the Cuillins

8252164053_25b8c41f3b_c.jpg

24mm + 1.4x | 1.3s | F8 | CPL + 0.6 hard + 0.3 hard

6. Old Man of Storr:
Alarm for 0530 (isn't landscape photography easy in the winter!), bite to eat and out the door of the B&B by 0615. A 30mph crawl on roads of sheet ice to park up at 0630. Pile on the layers, hats, gloves and head torch and head up the path to the old man. On the way up query the torch lights at the top of the hill, the only car in the car park had snow on it so these fools had either camped or been up there a while - and it wasn't exactly the weather for sauntering around on a mountain. Get to the top around 0730 nod at the three photographers already set up (what's that about remote?) and scramble up the side of the icy cliff face to get to a position where each of the points of the old man were separated from each other.

Nowhere to put my bag, my legs or my tripod so a sort of crevice straddling tripod setup and my legs as a bag holder I managed to get my camera out and attempt to put some filters on (Lee 0.6 Hard) without them blowing away to Mull. Marvel at how windy and blooming cold it was and wait for some clouds to roll into the top of the frame. Brrr!

Conditions in the sky weren't ideal, a band of clouds on the horizon and very little overhead. Eventually a few clouds came overhead to sit at the top of the frame but by this time I was struggling to move my hands never mind my fingers and I was concerned my next fumble would send my tripod and camera to its death. So I admitted defeat and scrambled down to a slightly more sheltered spot where the Storr merges into 3 peaks. I couldn't find a sheltered spot I was happy with the view from, I thought the sun looked like it was likely to break through the clouds but there was now no clouds overhead and I couldn't face climbing back up to my freezing cold spot from earlier. So I headed back to the car watching the rays of sun beaming out the clouds wishing I'd put on a few more layers.

Old Man of Storr, Winter Sunrise by Ally Mac, on Flickr
24mm + 1.4x | 0.6s | F8 | 0.6 hard

7. Crashing waves from Kilt rock viewpoint. Being a windy day the waves were up more than the previous day. I stopped off at the Kilt Rock viewpoint to check out the light but it wasn't up to much. Looking down however the foreshore was nicely lit and the waves creating a bit of drama. Reckoning that there isn't very many opportunities to shoot almost straight down from a cliff without attaching yourself to a rope I made a few exposures.

8252164165_e1ca32657d_c.jpg

85mm | 0.4s | F9 | 0.9 ND + CPL

8. Headed back down to the Glen Brittle where I had a hairy moment on a frozen bend of the road. Made the walk up to the fairy pools for this.

8253234604_bec649e4da_c.jpg

24mm | 1.6s | F9 | CPL + 0.3 hard

9. Was hoping to catch a good sunset at Neist point as in the winter it sets out at the end of the peninsula. Unfortunately the band of cloud on the horizon had other ideas so I hunkered down as best as I could on the cliff edge and waited for the light level to drop enough to make out the light from the lighthouse. Could have done with waiting another 20 minutes really but I wasn't too happy with the clouds which were staying on the horizon but about to go from just above there and the wind was rather unpleasant. So I took this and called it a night.

8253234708_836ac7ddaf_c.jpg

50mm | 15s | F8 | CPL + 0.9 hard

10. "The Hairy Loch", Loch Cill Chroisd, Isle of Skye

One thing Skye has a little less of than the rest of the mainland West coast, are Loch's. And I love a good Loch. Find one on a calm morning and nothing compares, flat as a mirror and often
laced with patches of mist. Magical places indeed. Fortunately for me Skye does still have a number of smaller inland Loch's and this is where I found myself on Sunday morning with a nine hour drive home in front of me. The light wasn't to disappoint, with a fresh dusting of snow on the mountain tops and dappled high cloud (I think Altocumulus Stratiformis cloudlets), conditions were looking ripe for some special light.

The sun was due to come up behind my left shoulder meaning a good amount of light already on the mountains Bla Bhienn and Chlach Glas from the bright cloudless horizon. As the sun rose closer to the horizon it began to light up the high level clouds above the mountains contrasting beautifully with their white snow-capped peaks.
This is 2 vertically taken shots @ 50mm merged to give a 4x5 image. Lee 0.6Hard grad over Sky and reversed 0.6Soft over the water.

"The Hairy Loch", Loch Cill Chroisd by Ally Mac, on Flickr
2@ 50mm | 0.3s | F8 | 0.6 hard + 0.6 soft

Not allowed 11 it seems so:

11. The light on the mainland was lovely on my way back down on Sunday. I couldn't resist stopping off at Eilean Donan castle again on my way past.
8253234854_1e846e485b_c.jpg

70mm | 1/20s | F8 | CPL

There a little more on some images and probably more info to come on my facebook page should you wish to check it out - AMcIntoshPhotography

Thanks for looking

That was a productive 4 days!
A fantastic set of images.
Hard to pick one, but I keep going back to 10 "The Hairy Loch".

I'll be up there myself in a couple of weeks, your images are making feel very impatient to be heading North!

What a good way to spend 4 days
Stunning all of then I could`nt pick one from the rest
Nice to see the info for the shot could you tell me as to what lens`s you were using for them cheers

Last edited:
A great series Alasdair. Every shot a winner. I'm off up to Skye again in February with Alby (Ajophotog) so you've whetted my appetite....can't wait now! :)

Super set of images, like how you have used the 50mm lens a lot doing these landscapes (which 50mm is it by the way).
On my way to Skye soon, just fingers crossed for the weather.

LesF

Lovely stuff matey, know all the places very well and you did well with the weather/light in the grand scheme of things as Skye can be rubbish sometimes.

Hairy Loch for me, can't help wanting a smidge more foreground but loving the pinky colours with the snowy peaks, great stuff

drew

Oh these are amazing! 3,4, 5 and 8 are my favourites but they are all absolutely magic!
I haven't been to Skye since I was about 8, I'm not even that far away and after seeing these, I must get back there! :D My first proper road trip when I pass my test perhaps!

Great job! =)

OMG!........ What absolutely stunning photographs!
My favourites are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,and 11 Love em all:D

Thanks for sharing,

Oh god I envy you having this kind of scene to shoot. These are SO good. I want to hate you a little bit for getting them, but I can't :LOL:

Fantastic shots - you got some great light in the few days you were there. Well worth the effort. There is nothing better than better than standing behind your camera admiring scenery like that. Makes you glad to be alive!!

Brilliant work mate.

I really like these pictures. Being marooned at the wrong end of the country I rarely get to see the Highlands and particularly Skye at this time of year so familiar scenes appear nice and fresh. What I really like though is the time you took to get the right shot, from the right spot in the right light. That isn't easy in most places, but in a demanding environment like the Highlands it is a real achievement. No cliches here either - even Eilean Donan looks different. The other odd thing is Waterpipe Gully - I always think is looks menacing but you seem to have made it picturesque. Great job.

Stunning photos Ally, thank you for posting. Love them all, especially the Eilean Donan shots. Looks like you B&B was pretty central, can you let me know where it was and is it recommended?

Very nice set indeed, great work. I think #4 wins for me, though they're all fantastic.

Fantastic set - I really enjoyed going through those.

Beinn a' Chrulaiste is a fantasic viewpoint but you're right about needing to be up early for the best direction of light.

I wish I could produce some cracking shots like those. (y)
Even just one would do for now!

Castle at night looks better than the daytime version, for me.

Last edited:
Some really fantastic work here. That's the sort of collection that anyone should be happy to come home with. Not so keen on the crashing waves from top down shot personally. It's an unusual perspective, but the composition doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. All the others are excellent though, very nice work!

+1 on the fantastic work die hard photography at its best love Eilean Donan Castle.shot

I keep on coming back to these. They're so damn good.

just one word "WOW"

I know all these locations, and particularly Skye, you have to work hard at getting the light, but if you do the rewards are worth it, some stunning light on all of these.

Was expecting a kilted Scotsman when I saw the title -great shots btw and I love the
commentary, just wish more shots had it.
For those who don't know what I was talking about...

I've just come down from the Isle of Skye,
I’m no very big and I'm awful shy,
And the lassies shout when I go by,
" Donald where’s your troosers."

great shots, love all of them :) I'm looking at going to scotland next year for our holiday but with such beautiful scenery I'm spoilt for choice as to where to go :)

Back