Just How Much Is wrong With this shot

Just a reminder to anyone posting in this thread that we dont like crit being given to photographs the photographer hasn't offer up themselves and isn't here to defend. If this is a request to know why the shot works and why it was chosen, then fair enough, but if the thread goes down the route of just slagging off the shot then it will be removed :)

Just a reminder to anyone posting in this thread that we dont like crit being given to photographs the photographer hasn't offer up themselves and isn't here to defend. If this is a request to know why the shot works and why it was chosen, then fair enough, but if the thread goes down the route of just slagging off the shot then it will be removed :)

I am after reasoning as to why this is an acceptable shot on a national website from a Champions League match yet were it posted here from say an Evo Stick league match I am sure it would have been mercilessly slaughtered

Maybe its the only photo that they had to use? :LOL:

Actually i best not... you know how touchy they are :)

Last edited:
I suppose at the end of the day if the photographer gets paid then at least it works for him.

Tony, you coward. :LOL:

If it's meant to convey some meaning, to be profound even, it's gone over my head. I really can't see at the mo why this shot was chosen. The advertisement is slightly OOF but still easily recognisable :)

Last edited:
Gary Coyle said:
Maybe by some wierd quirk of fate the goal was scored at exactly 18.30pm

I"ve got a picture similar, means nothing without the context but two guys with their backs to me and the numbers on the shirts show the score of the game which got us promoted :D

Sorry for going slightly off topic but my thought was too that it might be a quirky photo like that

I"ve got a picture similar, means nothing without the context but two guys with their backs to me and the numbers on the shirts show the score of the game which got us promoted :D

Sorry for going slightly off topic but my thought was too that it might be a quirky photo like that

Someone planning a lads holiday......

Had to work that out, and not just lads holidays :p :LOL:

Its obvious to me but as its not for crit I cannot possibly comment except to say when submitting images always keep in mind different shapes that may be used (y)

Nope, you've lost me......

I think saying about shapes is allowed, you won't be critiquing the photo itself.

I think fliipin good thinking on the Pros part to send it in.

I guess you never know what others are sending in. Then get the chap who chooses the shot who is no mood to be bothered and hey presto he gets paid.

Good on him.

hes a getty phoitographer.. he gets paid anyway... more likely that the paper wouldnt have used anyone elses shot no matter what... also the likelyhood of getty only sending one shot in is nil..... deal will have been done to use getty who will just send everything no matter what.. the pic editor has chosen the first pic to fit the layout and thats it..

guessing but i reckon thats it...

Oh I see thanks.

hes a getty phoitographer.. he gets paid anyway... more likely that the paper wouldnt have used anyone elses shot no matter what... also the likelyhood of getty only sending one shot in is nil..... deal will have been done to use getty who will just send everything no matter what.. the pic editor has chosen the first pic to fit the layout and thats it..

guessing but i reckon thats it...

:agree:

Regarding shapes, many newspapers will pre-allocate a shape for the report as the page will be set out before the game ends and often ask for (say) square or landscape shots. If sending in on spec I often send two versions just incase.

Ah I see

:LOL:

would you believe I sat there for a while trying to see what shapes were in the actual picture itself!

Ah I see

:LOL:

would you believe I sat there for a while trying to see what shapes were in the actual picture itself!

oh dear :)

:p don't you start!!! :LOL:

Moral:

If you submit a sub par photograph because 'you just like it', invariably that's the one that the Photo Ed will pick.

©Leonneal's blog + it's happened to me more than once!

One thing overlooked is we don't know the circumstances under which a photo is taken.
It always easy enough to criticise a photo, but we don't know why it was taken from that position or that angle or the time to take it in . Unless one is there as well we have to accept that the photographer has produce the best possible given any of the restraints above.

Many a time I had wished I could alter the angle of view but there could be an obstrution preventing it. This in my case could either be a bush-ditch or tree stopping me from moving sideway or even infront, so we have to accept what we are shown

Realspeed

Last edited:
Moral:

If you submit a sub par photograph because 'you just like it', invariably that's the one that the Photo Ed will pick.

©Leonneal's blog + it's happened to me more than once!

my first ever cover was not only a boring photo, but also slightly out of focus... editor liked it for some reason. muppet.

Probably laziness on the beeb's behalf in this instance tbh, pick the first one on the wire and be done with it. Does reinforce the need to get stuff up quickly I guess....

Not so much a criticism of the photograph but one of the bbc.... Some of our licence money went towards paying for that. If it is a case of laziness and better ones were available shouldn't we expect better of the bbc in selecting photographs?

Im pretty sure also that the photographer is just as surprised as us that that one got used :)

Last edited:
:LOL: not all us weekend warriors give our photos away for free :p

maybe the only thing wrong with it is someone else took it and presumably got paid for it and the more jealous amongst us didnt!

maybe the only thing wrong with it is someone else took it and presumably got paid for it and the more jealous amongst us didnt!
There's more things wrong with it than that...

Besides, I don't think many of the posters here are working in Croatia to start with. ;)

Well I would assume the guy missed the actual goal (for whatever reason) and had to adjust his position to get the scorer which was probably no more than a snatch shot. Also assuming the scorer then ran off back for the restart and that shot was all he ended up with. Cropping to straighten the shot may have cut too much out so left it as taken. Also may have been under pressure time wise to get the image sent.

Only guessing but mainly down to experience from shooting night games and how tight it is with deadlines. Of course I may be totally wrong and just a crap shot by a crap photographer who Getty's used as a freelancer :shrug:

Back