Justlooking's 52 for 2010 - week 52 together - page 18

Didn't someone else post a similar shot to number #1? Well, not to worry, #2 is my preferred shot anyways and as Jen says above "I would give it more contrast". :)

As there's not much colour there, probably a candidate for a nice high contrast black and white conversion and a bit of burning out of the square thing.

what do you mean by "burning out" ?

Like the second one best, Nice DOF in the image

thank you

Hi just looking
Glad your keeping up your 52 even though you have been extremely busy,I have to agree with you with your mechanical image,the square section behind the geared wheel tends to draw your eye away from the main gears meshing maybe you could tone the colour to blend it into the background, like it over the first mechanical shot. My favourite so far, is still your bench picture the first one for curves theme (y)

oh dear do you mean I've gone downhill since the first week :bang:

i prefer the 2nd of the two mechanical i think, both good shots though

thanks

I wondered how the shot would have come out if you had a tripod and a long shutter speed to get some blur on everybody.

The winding mechanism fits the theme perfectly, I like the first shot but maybe not so tightly framed and not too central.

The people shot was taken in a hurry whe I could escape the kitchen for a few minutes ! But will keep you idea in mind as it's bound to come in useful fro another week.

(y)

I'm with the others on this. The second is my favourite.

Maybe better in black and white though?

Good choice of subject with the winder mechanisms ;)

thanks for looking

I like the first one! It's a shame that duck didn't move slightly to your right and there wasn't a barge in the background for a bit of extra context. My picture this week was of a canal but not so close up. Great minds think alike!

Unfortunately there were no boats on the move and the ducks just would not cooperate ! :D

I prefer the second shot. This would look great with a high pass filter to bring out the grittiness.

Thanks for looking ... err what is a high pass filter ?

Number one tells me straight away what that is - being a great fan of canal boating. However, I much prefer the second shot. It fits the theme perfectly and it it's a well executed shot. The little square thing you mentioned doesn't bother me.

like the second of the two.. great DOF, good interpretation of the theme..

I prefer the second picture - a nice detail shot :)

The second I think is a better shot for the theme (y) The DOF works better and makes it all a little more enigmatic

Second shot gets my vote good DOF - could tweak the contrast give it some edge, but a great shot none the less ;)

#2 gets my vote. I like the DoF and the close attention to detail.

Have you thought about a B&W version with a bit of pumped up contrast? Not saying it would look any better, but it might give it an edge.

Nice solid shot for week 8!

Ian.

Number two for me also, I agree with Ian above that it might enrich the image with a B&W conversion or maybe just a contrast boost to give it a colder, steelier feel.

Well done.

Second for me too. IMO it's just got much more impact and the DoF works really well.

Sorry to be repetitive, but yet another vote for a high contrast B&W version too.

I also prefer the second, although I would give it more contrast. But instead of B/W I think I would increase the saturation to bring out the rustiness. Nice one and bang on theme.

Jenny

Didn't someone else post a similar shot to number #1? Well, not to worry, #2 is my preferred shot anyways and as Jen says above "I would give it more contrast". :)

Thanks all .. seems like I may have to try converting to black and white :)

Both good shots but like the rest I prefer the second shot. You could have a lot of fun playing with contrast/saturation/B&W in this one - great potential!

what do you mean by "burning out" ?

Your post processing package of choice should have a tool for dodging and burning. Dodging will lighten a subject and burning (like toast) will darken it. It's a brush which you can paint over selective parts of a photo to help increase shadows or highlights.

My turn to play

took 24 photos and this is the only one that is sort of ok.

off to look at some of the other 52er's

I like the idea but maybe not so tightly framed, the dof works well to isolate the dice.

(y)

Sorry I haven't vitied your thread for ages - I got behind and then my computer went into meltdown. :crying:

Present: Another neat register, and I'm glad I've got 100% attendance and am not messing up the Ofsted results. :D An excellent take on the theme.

People: It look like the weather wasn't doing you any favours and getting all the girls (but anonomously) couldn't have been easy - and that's without having all those mouths to feed. It tells the story and fits the theme - well done. I hope you've recovered by now! :)

Mechanical: I like both these, with the second one being a marginal favourite. Those cogs look as though they mean business. An excellent shot (and I didn't notice the square things until you mentioned it) :clap:

Play: I think you're being hard on yourself on this one. I love it - composition, colours and interpretation all excellent. (y)

Jean

That works quite well. Dice are pretty sharp and retain the focus of the viewer nicely as they stand out perfectly. Only real niggle is the bottom left corner where you've caught the join in the board. Perhaps a move to the right slightly or from a higher angle when taking the shot might have helped keep it out of frame :)

I really like this.

I like the way you've positioned the dice, I like the background, the DoF and the lighting. Also like the texture in the backgammon mat(?).

Simple and elegant, with a nice composition. Not being a backgammon player I am un-niggled by the lower left corner as I don't know what it is :)

Ian.

Lots of really good details in this one :clap:
Personally I think it's a lot better than "sort of OK"

Dice are nice and sharp and you've picked up some lovely details in the stitching and the felt.
The bottom left is a little distracting but not a major problem for me - all in all I think the angle and composition really work well for the image.
I also really like the colours in it.

That's very good. I like the DOF and the colours, and the dice are clear, and you just come to rest on them naturally. Good textures too.

Nice shot, good angle, nice texture, good details.
crit is the left hand side - also would be nice to see a tad more of the bottom diagonals too to complete the lines from top to bottom ;)

so many encouraging comments - thank you all :)

You would all have laughed if you'd seen me taking it. I wanted it in the sun that was coming in the lounge window, so I had to put it on the floor so get the board itself in the sun. Then I lay on the floor and used a boot to rest the camera on. :bonk:

Week 10 Chemistry.

Have just spent the last 4 hours trying to make a triptych in Photoshop Elements without success. Is there a tutorial somewhere? I know the principal but could not get the photos the correct size and couldn't figure out when to resize the image from the camera and what size to make the canvass etc. So in the end just use picasa to make a collage.

(p*3)+(o*2)+(i*2)=800

Where p=picture width, o=outer border and i=inner border

So if you had a 10px outer border and a 3px inner border (the gap between frames) you would have (p*3)+20+6=800 or p*3=800-20-6=774. Therefore 774/3 (rounding down if necessary) to find your picture width. Which in this case would be 258px.

So you resize your individual images to 258px wide and place them on a canvas of 800px width by whatever the height of each image is + 20px. This will give you a 10px border round the outside and 3px gap between each image.

When you paste your layers/images onto the canvas, you can usually move them with the cursor keys by 1px at a time to get things straight.

That probably makes no sense at all :D

Anyway to the image. Three really good photos that would make a good triptych ;) The cake looks very tasty too.

Hmmmm baking/chemistry I'm sure there is a link somewhere :D

I like the way the 3 shots are layed out, better than a standard triptych in this case.

3 excellent shots that go well together to show the "chemical" reaction taking place... As for the layout, I like it and it works well... I did what Michelle did, but it was when Triptych was the POTY comp theme last year sometime.

Very nice take on the theme and each of the images looks to be top quality in its own right.
I particularly like the way that you've managed to keep the distinction between the white flour and white background in No.1.

TBH I actually really like the way that you've laid this out.
With the images that you've used I think I prefer this to a traditional triptych.

(p*3)+(o*2)+(i*2)=800

Anyway to the image. Three really good photos that would make a good triptych ;) The cake looks very tasty too.

Thanks for the info on sizing, will have to give it another go.

I downloaded an action to make it easier to do a triptych, before that I was tearing my hair out doing one! http://coffeeteaphotography.blogspot.com/

great set of photos - look great together and agree, the cake looks delicious!

Thanks for the link - will have a look

Hmmmm baking/chemistry I'm sure there is a link somewhere :D

I like the way the 3 shots are layed out, better than a standard triptych in this case.

Glad you like the layout - thank you

3 excellent shots that go well together to show the "chemical" reaction taking place... As for the layout, I like it and it works well... I did what Michelle did, but it was when Triptych was the POTY comp theme last year sometime.

Looks real good. nice take on chemistry as well!! Did you bake you cake yourself ;-)?

Yip cake is all my own work :D and was very tasty even if I do say so myself !

Very nice take on the theme and each of the images looks to be top quality in its own right.
I particularly like the way that you've managed to keep the distinction between the white flour and white background in No.1.

TBH I actually really like the way that you've laid this out.
With the images that you've used I think I prefer this to a traditional triptych.

Thank you Sarah .. the ingredients image was the hardest to take so I am pleased you like it.

Sorry, still catching up.

I like the backgammon shot. The DOF is perfect. However, I probably would have preferred the dice slightly lower and slightly more to the right on the shot.

Really nice Triptych and fits the theme very well. Your baking skills are a lot better than mine! One thing that I may have preferred - did you try a vertical triptych? I think I may prefer that instead of having the images overlapping horizontally.

Darren is very good at maths, isn't he? I tend to "eyeball" things rather than calculate them exactly.

Jenny

:LOL: There had to be more than one cake this week. :)

The very first thing I noticed is yours rose much more than mine. :razz: :) It didn't help when I watched mine burn and had to cut the top off one half, but it still didn't rise like yours. :bang:

I had nightmares with the tryptych, too, but got my son to talk me thorugh it. I put the border on the inside of the individual frames and sized them afterwards so they were idential before putting them into the various layers (in CS3). I don't know if Elements is the same, but tbh it wasn't that hard - I was just being thick! Hoever, I love your layout and it's a really neat solution as well as being visually pleasing. :clap:

Shall I put the kettle on? ;)

Jean

Excellent! :clap: The shadow of the egg in the first image is just a little hard but that is just a minor niggle - the lighting overall is pretty good. I think your layout works really well, too.

I don't suppose there is any left, is there?

Love the simplicity of the Play shot, and the chemistry one works well - I like the way you've overlapped the sequence as well.

Sorry, still catching up.

Really nice Triptych and fits the theme very well. Your baking skills are a lot better than mine! One thing that I may have preferred - did you try a vertical triptych? I think I may prefer that instead of having the images overlapping horizontally.

Darren is very good at maths, isn't he? I tend to "eyeball" things rather than calculate them exactly.

Jenny

I will play with Triptych again up and down and sideways !

The very first thing I noticed is yours rose much more than mine. :razz: :) It didn't help when I watched mine burn and had to cut the top off one half, but it still didn't rise like yours. :bang:

Hoever, I love your layout and it's a really neat solution as well as being visually pleasing. :clap:

Shall I put the kettle on? ;)

Jean

Thanks you .. glad you liked.

Excellent! :clap: The shadow of the egg in the first image is just a little hard but that is just a minor niggle - the lighting overall is pretty good. I think your layout works really well, too.

I don't suppose there is any left, is there?

Cake left ? no chance :D

Love the simplicity of the Play shot, and the chemistry one works well - I like the way you've overlapped the sequence as well.

Thanks Dave

Candid - behind the counter on the market

Well out of my comfort zone .. felt very awkward wandering round the High Street with camera.

Great chemistry shots the three photographs work very well and the layout looks really good.
Good candid shot - as well as capturing the stall holder it also captures a wet day market scene.

Well done for getting out there and doing it.
Was it something you enjoyed and do you think you'll be doing it again?

I've tried it a couple of times but TBH it just left me feeling a bit flat. I didn't get much of a buzz from doing it, I started to get irritated by the number of people who wanted to stop for a chat and the end results didn't excite me much either.
I keep thinking I must be missing something, because so many people rave about street togging - so I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Well done for getting out there and getting the shot, it works very nicely and is on theme.

Back