weekly Kate 52 for 2015 -Week 3 Scenic added

Name
Kate
Edit My Images
Yes
Well here we go again, hopefully more successful this year.

my rules:

Not to be so anxious and allow myself to use mobile phone shots.
I will have a joker.

Week 0 - Pattern
Week 1 - Bliss
Week 2 - Fragile re-edit here
Week 3 - Scenic

Last edited:
Always blissful to go for a walk on a sunny day. Welcome to the challenge.

Kate!

Fab shot for a mobile phone. I defo think i'm going to include mobile shots in my 52… as sometimes it's more about right place right time!!!

Great work!

Mark

Hi Kate & welcome to the madhouse :wave:

For a phone shot that's pretty darned impressive....love the little burst of sun & the shadows making patterns on the floor of leaves :)

Hi and welcome, cracking phone photogtaph there. I see patterns but it doesn't scream patterns to me.

However, you're on the road to finishing (y)

Cheers.

Hi Kate and welcome

Excellent mobile shot ... well done.

:thinking: ... just seen Andy's post .... and I thought this was a BLISS shot. :exit:

Nice shot and does work for both of the first two weeks.

Thanks for your comments, I suppose it could do for bliss, but it really was the pattern of the trees and light I was going for. And if you think that was stretching the brief, wait for my next photo!

Hmmm Bliss. The iconic "windows" wallpaper (green hill one) was titled bliss. I have a hill near me that when I cycle past I always think it looks similar. However, the time I had put aside to do this assignment was a cold frosty day and Bliss was just a white haze. So I have done Winter Bliss with some foreground interest. Sort of what the windows hill would look like in winter. Not so sure it will catch on like the original but hey ho.

bliss2 by purrplekate, on Flickr

Love the soft B&W conversion. I've tried to capture that hazy-sun-through-the-mist thing and failed sooo many times. the white-light grey tones in the sky really give me a sense of peace.

You have a striking foreground interest on the right hand side there. Nice & sharp and well defined. For me though, it's obscured by the bits of undergrowth sticking up behind it.

Pattern is awesome. Lovely shadows and colours. The best camera is the one you have with you eh?

foreground interest every time ... thanks Kate.

Two brilliant images there Kate. The first is exceptional for a phone photo! The second is a glorious shot and although it doesn't quite scream bliss at me, I still like it. Foreground really jumps out yet the rest of the scene is a much more subtle and lower contrast B&W conversion, which works really well.

Nicely done!

I really like the halo of frost you've got around the flower stem and head. I'm not sure the left-hand side of the photo adds anything so I'd be tempted to crop the image square by taking off the left hand side of the picture (just to the left of the hazy sun), plus a little off the bottom, just above the leaf union on the flower stem.

Lovely image - keep coming back to look, cetainly calms the mood :)

I love both patterns and bliss they both have a lovely feel to them.

I hadn't considered using mobile phone shots deffiantly worth considering as I always have my moble with me but not my camera

As others have said a very calming image suited by black and white

Hi Kate, welcome to 2015 52s. You've made a good start with 2 powerful images. For Bliss, I definitely think the crop improves it and would personally have done something similar with your Patterns shot I think that cropping some of the sky and getting rid of the big wonky tree trunk from the left would give more emphasis to the fabulous colours and diagonal patterns made by the shadows.

With well over 100 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Hi Kate, a great start to the 52 and I really think the crop has improved your bliss image massively. Great capture :)

Hi. I actually liked the first crop the thing that is most distracting are the two stalks behind the main plant in focus,
really like the very muted colour because of the frost (y)

Fragile by purrplekate, on Flickr

one of our Texas A&M quail being held...ever so gently.....

Not really happy with this as it doesn't "pop" and not sure what to do to it to achieve that....

nice shot Kate - good fit with the theme and well composed. I can't help with making it pop though - sorry!

FRAGILE I like it as you say it lacks that bit of pop but a great take on the theme. The quail doesn't look to impressed with having its photo taken

It's a lovely shot Kate. Really fits the theme and is unusual and interesting. Good tight crop to present the subject without distraction.

For poppage, try B&W and pumping the contrast/levels a bit?

Really like both versions of this. I can see what you were trying to do with the contrast between the bird and the strong hands around it. Nice idea well executed.

Back