Keep it simple, and move on

Edit My Images
No
I've had several cameras and camcorders over the years
I bought my first SLR in 1989
A Minolta X-300
Sadly I can't remember the three lenses I had, but I suspect the main one I used was a Tamron 35-210mm

I then moved on to a Sony CCD-TR415 camcorder in 1998

In 2009 I then replaced this with a Fujifilm S2000HD

After a recent holiday I decided to go back to SLR, as the results from the S2000HD appear to have deteriorated

So for the last few weeks I have been looking at (in the order of final preference) :
Canon 100D
Canon 1200D
Canon 600D
Nikon D3300
Nikon D3200

Having decided upon the Canon 100D I then started looking at prices and offers
My first choice provider was continually out of stock (£450 including 5 year warranty)
I placed an order for the Canon 100D with 18-55 IS STM (Kit) with Camera World (£429 plus £5 delivery)
In this order I also added a number of additional accessories (2 x UV filters, Polariser Filter, LP-E12 battery, 2 x Lens Cap Retainer and LCD Screen Protector)

Along with this I was looking at the Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Bristol Cameras briefly had this at £149, but I missed it (due to waiting for stock of the 100D)
I then found a Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens at £161 with MicroGlobe (Free 3 day delivery)
I had my suspicions this was a Grey Import, but with such a massive saving this was not an issue, and Canon have now confirmed it is indeed a UK Lens and eligible for the Winter 2014 Cashback offer

Both of these orders were placed on Thursday 13 November
Camera World stated on their website that orders received before 14:00 would be despatched for Next (working) Day delivery
Therefore I made sure this order was submitted before 13:00
Confirmation eMails were received and Out of Stock notices
Thankfully it was just the LCD Screen Protector that was out of stock, so advised them it would be acceptable to send this by Royal Mail First Class when back in stock
That evening I received the tracking details for the parcel

Microglobe only sent an Invoice and Shipping confirmation

The first item to arrive on Friday morning was LCD Protector!
On the Friday afternoon the Canon LP-E12 battery arrived
Sadly the rest of the Camera World items did not arrive, the tracking showed it was still en-route
On Saturday the Canon 55-250 Lens arrived
The Camera World items had still not arrived, and the tracking will still showing as en-route
On Monday morning this was then showing the parcel was back in London!
I then phoned them first thing on Monday, they rearranged the parcel delivery, and requested priority (quoting delivery before 12:30 on Tuesday)
Sadly Interlink Parcels really let Camera World down, the parcel eventually arrived this evening

I can now see where the confusion came from, as there was an old label on the parcel and presumbly when automatically scanned at the Hub this returned the previous address which just by luck was Camera World!

So it's back to proper pictures again...
Just waiting on my two batteries charging up

Hi, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy".

Hi, And welcome to the forum :wave:

The weather was rather against me yesterday to take some sample comparison photos

I had hope for some scenic photos but for some reason the 55-250mm IS STM lens would focus but not allow me to execute the photo
I suspect this was due to AF mode on the lens, and the mist and the objects within the frame being so far away
Using MF mode on the lens would probably have resolved this, but for these initial photos I am starting off with the basic settings
This appears to be one disadvantage of this lens

Equally, the focusing rings (on both lenses) are not marked for infinity / distance and so cannot be used instantly

So I moved to a different location
https://m8internet.com/gallery/sample.html
Please note the images have not been resized and are in their original format
I was impressed by the difference between my (outgoing) Fujifilm S20000HD

I had hope for some scenic photos but for some reason the 55-250mm IS STM lens would focus but not allow me to execute the photo
I suspect this was due to AF mode on the lens, and the mist and the objects within the frame being so far away
I have now solved this issue
I noticed on some scenic photos the AF mode was initially focusing on the immediate foreground all the time
I had also noticed what I was seeing in the screen did not match the Manual
This then confirmed it wasn't the lens but the 100D itself

It took me some time to find the exact setting within the Manual to change this
Now that I have changed the AF Point the focusing is much faster (and almost instant)

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

A question about Telephoto Extension Tubes now
I have read they are not compatible with Canon EF-S lenses
However, some people report they are, but the Auto Focus no longer becomes operational
This is not an issue as I would be manually focusing the subject (basically focus set to Infinity)
So for this purpose would Kenko Extension Tubes work, or not?

Back