kent league football

just brought a monopod,
seen alot off photographers using them standing,
do you use them sitting aswell,

just because people have said i have to sit when taking photo's

iron

At football league (and most if not all BSP) you have to sit otherwise you'd be blocking the spectators view. Some stadiums have pits for photographers. Apart from that sitting gives a better perspective.

At football league (and most if not all BSP) you have to sit otherwise you'd be blocking the spectators view. Some stadiums have pits for photographers. Apart from that sitting gives a better perspective.

seen them on telly... never been to a ground with a pit yet... thats a few years and a lotta grounds :)

Massive improvement, as for a new lens try the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 great all rounder and can be had for about £1.000

Good call...Used one of these for a long time.. great lens.. I only let it go to upgrade to a prime L lens.. otherwise would still be using...

seen them on telly... never been to a ground with a pit yet... thats a few years and a lotta grounds :)

Looks like Many City have dug a few since I was last there. I think West Ham have them and Norwich City but never been to either other than a spectator which was many years ago. Leeds sort of have them except you sit on the concrete and dangle your legs in them. Main use of theirs is for some tarp coverings shoved in them

been offered 120-300 f/2.8 EX APO HSM for 900 pounds,
can pick up saturday if i want,

is that good price

thats a good price presuming in good nick

Agreed. If it's in good nick that's about the lowest that your likely to pay. It's even better value if it's got the CT-41 (larger tripod bush) on it already.

so what is the difference between the one i said about and the one mark put up a link about

so what is the difference between the one i said about and the one mark put up a link about

There are two basic differences between the DG and non DG version. The first is that the DG has coated lenses, but from what I've read that doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference.

The second is the foot on the tripod bush (collar). If you compare the photos on Aperture's site to the ones on the thread linked above you can see the difference quite clearly. The TS-41 which came with the DG version and some non DG's has a much better (and longer) foot making hand holding far easier. You can pick them up for about £100 second hand or £180ish new. I was lucky in that my non DG had the upgraded bush already.

Blimey, what a difference a few days makes!

Horizons are all straight, no bits missing in the tight crops and some decent action shots.

You must be quite chuffed! :D

So how did you find it? Must have seen a difference in lower light?

#1 & 2 really are both nothing shots and dont really tell any story.

#3 Goal shots are always worth showing although this (not you fault) not the most dramatic. One point to note is the goal post. This shot needs straightening as its leaning to the left.

#4 Crop to an upright to get rid of the players on the right. This will increase the focus on the player heading the ball.

#5 Ok action shot but lacks drama. Look out for defenders/strikers tugging shirts etc.

#6 Similar to #4. Needs cropping out the players on the right.

Further point is you seem to be applying a uniform crop which is not always possible with action shots.

#3 Goal shots are always worth showing although this (not you fault) not the most dramatic. One point to note is the goal post. This shot needs straightening as its leaning to the left.

That point does raise an interesting question...

The shot is obviously level if you look at the verticals of the trees and houses in the background, which would imply that the goal posts are either slanted back or it's caused by perspective ( partly the former I'd suspect if you look at the shot above).

How far do you go in compensating for natural skews, and which takes presidence? Foreground or background?

That point does raise an interesting question...

The shot is obviously level if you look at the verticals of the trees and houses in the background, which would imply that the goal posts are either slanted back or it's caused by perspective ( partly the former I'd suspect if you look at the shot above).

How far do you go in compensating for natural skews, and which takes presidence? Foreground or background?

The one that stands out the most and in this case the goal posts.

Hmmmmm.

Don't get me wrong Graham, I realise that you do this for a living and that I don't, but that's a -4° slant which (when corrected) makes the pic look daft and loses most of the important features - ie the ball and half of the scorer, in which case it's for the bin.

I'm asking so that I can learn, rather then pick holes in your comments btw! :)

Fully understand Mark and the only way to learn is to ask.

Assuming that this is a cropped version then there will be a larger image to create a crop from. Also if presenting this image to a picture editor do you think he would accept it as cropped or the alternative with the straightened post?

the lens was so different,
one main thing (huge) lol

i took these photos but so many came out blurry,
i used a shutter speed 1/500,
2.8 ap

been told i might need to take it up to 3.2 and 1/800 and up the iso,

as they say practice makes perfect,
will be back to herne bay fc on saturday so i hope i will inprove,
my goal is still is to talk photos for the non league paper,
but like i said before i don't want to run before i can walk,

i was thinking of going to dartford fc on tuesday night just to get a feeling,

Iron, told you it would feel huge!

why were they blurry? shutter speed is going to adress if players feet/hands/ball are blurry, but it could also bee your own movement in the lens versus the shutetr speeds.

Why not post a few blurry ones (with the settings) so we can see why it may be so.

if your shooting in AP, you may see the shutter speeds drop through the floor if your not carefull as light drops.

1/500 should keep most things sharp, bar the odd leg/arm/ball.

Practise, Practise, Practise

It looks more like missed focus to me.

If you open the original image up in DPP you can see which focus point you used.

ok,
tomorrow is a huge game for me,
i am going to use my first BlueSq South game,
i will not be sending any photos anywhere like paper's because i know they are not good enough yet,
i just want to go to as many game as i can,

i have not been to a evening game with this new lens yet so will be a lot of learning,

any advice,

nervous already lol,
what i need camera, lens,stool,monopod, licence -am i missing anything
iron

A CF card would probably be of some use! :p :D

Make sure that you enjoy it as well as concentrating on the pics!

graham,

i emailed them and first they said all i need is to sign in with my conf licence number,
when i emailed them back asking them somthing else they said

You need to report to the main reception and your club should have given you some kind of i.d. with your conference number, without it you will not be permitted entrance

now i don't work for a club,
i work on my own,
so how do you get in if you are a photographer working on your own

There is no ID system for the conference licence

You are issued a number
All conference clubs are issued a list of numbers.
You are supposed to FAX the club asking to attend
The club dont usually reply
You turn up.. give them your name and if asked conf number..
The club check your on the list and let you in.

What Kipax said (y)

I usually email the club with a preset application form requesting a photographers pass. This form has my name and licence number. I also have a press card as id just incase anyone asks.

the lens was so different,
one main thing (huge) lol

i took these photos but so many came out blurry,
i used a shutter speed 1/500,
2.8 ap

been told i might need to take it up to 3.2 and 1/800 and up the iso,

as they say practice makes perfect,
will be back to herne bay fc on saturday so i hope i will inprove,
my goal is still is to talk photos for the non league paper,
but like i said before i don't want to run before i can walk,

i was thinking of going to dartford fc on tuesday night just to get a feeling,

If you're going to Dartford I'll be there. Say Hello!

carol,

as a photographer yea not to watch,
lets hope i can get in

Yeah, i gathered that. You probably won't have much problem, just have your licence number handy. What's your real name? (PM me if you like). See you there.

Back