Kenya. Amboseli + Mara. Principally Cheetahs.

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
My initial original post on this forum so any help/guidance appreciated.

Since I retired, I am lucky enough to be able to travel to some nice destinations,principally with a wildlife intent.

Prior to my recent trip to Kenya(1st time), I invested in a couple of DSLRs. Canon 70D(100-400L) and Sony 77ii (16-50G)

Prior to this I had used compact, bridge cameras and camcorders. I previously shot quite a lot of video,but decided that I wanted to try to get better quality pictures. Particularly in the challenge of limited light conditions.

Hopefully eventually to progress to where I could get some pictures good enough to be able to enlarge and hang around the house.

Anyway started a steep learning curve and did not really practice enough prior to trip,so spent time learning on the job!!!

Which continued on my return and learning about post camera processing. ( using Canon DPP).

Anyway did get a few pictures,particularly of one of my favourite cats.

Canon 70D 100-400L(400mm) f11,ISO 320,Tv 1/640
View attachment 23405

Last edited:
This particular Cheetah(same as above.) was known to the local Maasai by the nickname of Supermum.
She has successfully raised 5 cubs to the age of approx 10 months which is quite an excellent survival rate for the cubs.
Ol Kinyei Conservancy. Maasai Mara. Sept 2014.

Canon 70D 100-400L(400mm)f9,ISO 160,Tv 1/500
View attachment 23409

John, nice shots, I would try to keep the shutter speed as high as possible @ 400mm especially if hand held …….. try to experiment with f5.6 and f8

also composition is important - I know the background and foreground is boring, but maybe move the animal from the centre of the frame, just to the LHS a wee bit more and try to get a little more contrast out of the images especially the 2nd….. I think that you can do more with the composition of the first

Flat light, i.e. mid day sun, is always difficult contrast wise and a little more shadow would add to the dramatic effect of a big cat …….. light is so important in (wildlife) photography

You don't really need to go below ISO 200/400 with wildlife shots even if they are large crops

My comments are not criticisms just hints … from the mistakes that I make

Last edited:
Bill

Appreciate the comments,that is why I am posting.

I am currently spending a lot of time reading articles on wildlife photography, also spending time in my local woods taking picture of birds and small wildlife in variable light. trying to improve my technique,what you have said mirrors some of what I am learning and trying to put into practice.

Supermum and 5 Cubs
Canon 70D 100-400(100) f4.5,ISO 500,Tv 1/125
View attachment 23410

Cheers

John, animals are great at camouflage …….. but if you push the contrast up, reduce the highlights and shadows a bit and add a little bit more back the cats will stand out more as will the background colours

i.e. play around with PP ……… not to produce an unnatural shot, just to compensate for the (bright) light

sharpness wise, if you are hand held at 1/125 sec it can be pushing it even at 100mm

BUT there are real experts on here who can give better advice …. just keep posting, asking and do not get offended with some of the comments which can be direct

You will pick up a lot in a few months, I did

Good luck

Bill

Last edited:
Shutter Speed is my main learning from my time in the local woods.

Am now following the rules of a minimum shutter speed dependant on focal length, much more than I did in Kenya. Spent to much time purely focused on Av mode,not knowing or watching shutter speed. I had many soft softs. All my photos were hand held.

Currently learning much more about ISO levels as well.

Good fun...............

Canon 70D 100-400L(120mm)f8,ISO 250,Tv1/200
View attachment 23413

Back