Kestrel, before the storm came....

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
......this female Kestrel landed on a fence post for a minute or so at the bottom of my garden, just as the wind increased and the skies were darkening - I managed this one shot (with camera already set-up fortunately!):

Canon 1DXii; 560mm; ISO 1000; f/5.6; 1/640s handheld
Sharpen AI-83.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Russ

Shows up well against the dark background Russ. :)

Very nice Russ (y)

Can't be 100% sure but looking at the fringing on its feathers, possibly a juvenile?

Very nice Russ (y) Can't be 100% sure but looking at the fringing on its feathers, possibly a juvenile?
- Cheers Phil, comments much appreciated :)
- mate, you're the expert - if you think it's a juvenile, then a juvenile it is! I do know it's a female, and that's as far as I can get with the ID.

Russ

mate, you're the expert - if you think it's a juvenile, then a juvenile it is!

:LOL: I'm far from an expert when it comes to ID Russ.

I go birding with chaps that have been doing it most of their lives, I feel like a complete beginner next to them but I'm learning bits all the time, and the main thing, enjoying it :)

Great shot against a great background Russ, It really stands out.
I also think its a juvenile.

Nice when your Camera is handy and ready to go for such situations , so often not the case . Top marks for getting that 1 shot to count , also the odds are often against . Depth of field is spot on too . Well done Rustygun . (y)

Great shot against a great background Russ, It really stands out.
I also think its a juvenile.
- Hi John - glad you like it, and thanks for the confirmation of it as a Juv :)
Nice when your Camera is handy and ready to go for such situations , so often not the case . Top marks for getting that 1 shot to count , also the odds are often against . Depth of field is spot on too . Well done Rustygun . (y)
- Many thanks Mark - I always leave the camera set up this way (and on auto ISO) for any perched birds that may stray into my garden! This time it really paid off! Even rustier now after all that rain ;)
Like it!
Nice tones and background.
Cheers Bob, that distant dark wood was a real help for the background. :)
Lovely shot Russ Les :)
- many thanks matey, glad you like it :)

Russ

Back