Kestrel

Lovely capture Sarah the bird certainly has some great markings. I think it might well stand a bit more sharpening for web display, adjusting levels to make the image brighter and maybe drop the saturation and contrast down a touch would improve it even further.

Lovely capture Sarah the bird certainly has some great markings. I think it might well stand a bit more sharpening for web display, adjusting levels to make the image brighter and maybe drop the saturation and contrast down a touch would improve it even further.
A cracking image Sarah, but I would agree with most of Rich's comments above especially about a bit more sharpening. The reduction in contrast and saturation thats possibly needed is only slight, be careful not to overdo that. Try that and this will be a great shot, well done (y)

Super shot, nice composition. Agree the saturation needs toning down, not so sure about the sharpening though.(y)

A cracking image Sarah, but I would agree with most of Rich's comments above especially about a bit more sharpening. The reduction in contrast and saturation thats possibly needed is only slight, be careful not to overdo that. Try that and this will be a great shot, well done (y)

Thank you for your comments, I will have a go at fiddling with it later but I warn you I am very much a beginner at photoshop. Will try and post later tonight or tomorrow!

Thank you for your comments, I will have a go later to try and improve it.

Watch this space!!

Its a nice looking Kestrel Sarah whichever side of the pond it hails from and nicely taken too.
Best of luck with the photoshopping I'm with you on that one its all a bit hit and miss for me too especially knowing when to stop :shrug:
John

Lovely shot there, i've never seen one of these birds before.

Definitely an AK
Well caught (y)

(the minor tweaks have been mentioned so I won't :))

Not bad at all Sarah :) Tbh I had a look here http://kiwifoto.com/galleries/birds/american_kestrel/ But if you did a Google image search it will turn up slightly different versions anyway and the main factor is what the light was like on the day and how you remember in your mind what it was like. I see Chris aka Cobra past comment, he is pretty clued up on birds of prey so if he did not pick fault with it then you can rest easy it aint far off the mark (y) I did a little edit myself hope you do not mind, this is how I see it but others will always see it differently. However in saying that I would just say that your edit would still stand some more sharpening, this if you are not aware should be the last thing you do before resizing the image for posting on the web. It will always be trial and error when it comes to sharpening if you overcook the sharpening then somebody will point it out and you can always redo it again, this way you will learn and gradually be doing it second nature so to speak ;)

AK.jpg

Hi Rich, Thanks foryour comments I really appreciate them. Your edit is great and I agree the sharpening. I had to use gimp on my netbook as I couldn't get on the laptop with photoshop (really need my own laptop!)
and have only used it once before.

Its great seeing what other people can do with an image and inspires me to have a go and experiment more. Like you said you can always undo it!

Back