Beginner Kingfisher

Hi Roy

Did well to capture this fellow.

Obviously you can find more detailed images of KFs when perched but to get one in flight is a great result. Congrats !

Hi Roy, as a beginer you seem to already have a few subjects that you like to photograph and as you have posted these in the CC section i have to say yes you have done well to find the subject and get a few record shots ,but in all honesty there is room for improvement on these shots ,exif info and how were and when you got the shots and can you revisit etc ,or if you are just happy with record shots and posting then fine,but to be honest it looks a large crop and i cant see anything thats in focus ,not being rude but its not a pleasing image to me ,its a good starting point but it should be in the recycle bin ,i will say this also across the board with all your other shots you have posted ,just take a little time to look and see if they are sharp and the compostion is good ,its a long learning curve but plenty of members on here that will point you in the right direction in the improvement of your bird photography

I keep birds of prey and my son is a pro rugby player for Bath so they are my main likes,in the off season and hunting season end I've decided to take up photography,I believe all my shots are starting points as I'm not very good,I went a couple of weeks ago to a camera club where they had a live model which helped me turn the manual dial,I bought a good camera 7d mkii but think I bought the wrongish lens but you live and learn,I take no offence to any criticism because I hope to learn from it.

the two main affordable lenses that most people start off with on bird photography are the 300mm f4 and the 400mm 5.6 i have owned both and still do as all my photos on here and my website are with just both of these lenses ,i also have the x1.4 converter that i use on both lenses ,the 300mm it works fine but a little work is neeed when atatched to the 400mm 5.6 ,saying all that you can only purchase what you can afford or feel is OK for what you want to achieve

I bought a canon 100-400 f5.6 the pull out second hand,I also have now gathering dust a 2 x converter,a 70-200 l lens non stable f4 and a nifty fifty.

Back