Kite boarder

Edit My Images
No
My favoured subjects tend to be fairly static, so this shot is outside my natural territory. On the day I took it I was photographing sand dunes! But, this guy was racing up and down, and I fired off a few shots with the 40-150 before a rain storm sent me running back to the car. What a difficult subject to catch, and to frame! But, nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

Tony

For more info go to: http://photoreflect.blogspot.com

Kite-boarder-2.jpg

Well ventured. Well caught. Stunning picture. Be happy :)

Like it a lot. Great idea

That is a stunning image, I hope it's going on the wall!

brilliant! would make a stunning calendar photo too with the days all running down the side ;)

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Though it looks like a shot taken on a windy day in August, this was yesterday on the Lancashire coast during a brief spell of sun between the waves of rain coming in off the sea! The camera always lies! I think it will suit for a birthday card cover for a couple of sporty friends.

Regards, Tony

Great capture, colour of the canopy against the stormy sky gives a great contrast (y)

Saw one of these last week off the coast of Sunderland but didnt have my gear and knew instantly that I had missed a great opportunity :bang: - seeing your shot is not doing anything to ease that regret ;)

Great shot. If I was the subject id love that on my wall, go see if you can sell him the image lol

Thanks Warspite. At the risk of deepening your regret at your missed opportunity - I'm kind like that :) - here's my second best shot of my brief session. Less action, but I liked the red crescent.

Regards, Tony

Kite-boarder-3.jpg

Grrrrr :p

Thats looks great aswell, looks like you got some good exposures despite the dark skies (y)

Speaking as a kiteboarder myself, these are terrific! I know just how hard it is to get satisfactory shots, normally I end up just concentrating on the details.

And I love the commentary in your blog. Kitesurfing is the fastest growing sport in the world, no doubt for the reasons you state. But still none of us take to the water without 3rd party insurance! But that is because you can end up doing yourself or others a lot of damage. :D

I really want to have a go at photographing this :) are there any spots on the Dorset coast? Some of the best shots are usually with a fisheye and an insane photographer who likes to get wet and risk being hit :D

Brilliant, I think I like the second shot better though they are both striking.

I think it would look great made letterbox and hung on the wall

Matt-I believe Poole Harbour at low tide is THE place to go in Dorset. It always used to be unless anything's changed. Check for tides at bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/tides and make sure it's about 12-25mph winds forecasted. Sun and a temperature of over 10 degrees will bring even more of us out!

Kitesurfing spots may be searched on the forum at kiteboarder.co.uk

Alternatively come down to Camber Sands and photograph ME! ;-)

Both those shots are stunning Tony - colours, sky, comp all work for me. . I hesitate to offer advice being so new here ... but I might be tempted to crop the second one a bit top and left to make it more symmetrical between the surfer and the kite.

Hope its ok to suggest that,

Both those shots are stunning Tony - colours, sky, comp all work for me. . I hesitate to offer advice being so new here ... but I might be tempted to crop the second one a bit top and left to make it more symmetrical between the surfer and the kite.

Hope its ok to suggest that,

Nope , not allowed that! Off with you now!

Only joking of course! :D Glad you are pitching in but I would disagree. The kite is right on a third which is a good "natural" place for it to lie. Cropping the left would make it a bit cramped IMHO.

Great set btw!

Nope , not allowed that! Off with you now!

Only joking of course! :D Glad you are pitching in but I would disagree. The kite is right on a third which is a good "natural" place for it to lie. Cropping the left would make it a bit cramped IMHO.

Great set btw!

Thanks ;) I have to say I like people who break the rule of thirds! The first shot does it well and balances the kite and surfer better IMHO!

Back