Kites... Big Kites!

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
Sadly you won't see the big kites very much, just some guys in kinky neoprene outfits!

All of these are from last Sunday when the sun poked out and the wind was up :) definitely a mix of processing as I tend to change my mind from picture to the next about what looks best.

Ascend The Wave by Phal44, on Flickr

Boop by Phal44, on Flickr

That's What A Kite Looks Like by Phal44, on Flickr

Darkrider by Phal44, on Flickr

Skid by Phal44, on Flickr

Sploosh by Phal44, on Flickr

Flight by Phal44, on Flickr

Up We Go by Phal44, on Flickr

A wide choice of shots Etienne, and I'm not sure that this is the right thread to get all the attention. I think they are all really well timed and composed, but the sky in the 7th one just looks too wierd to be true.

Yeah I often don't aim for realistic looking shots :D hehe

I've posted shots before in the sports section too but these are just meant to look fun and exciting so perhaps not the typical sports shots.

Certainly a lot of fun being had there Etienne great shots #7 is my pick.

Wow! I rarely look in the 'photo genres' forums... these are a good example of why I should visit more often. Number 6 is the winner, for me. How far away were you, or what I really mean is, what focal length was necessary here?

Great job!

Mike.

Wow! I rarely look in the 'photo genres' forums... these are a good example of why I should visit more often. Number 6 is the winner, for me. How far away were you, or what I really mean is, what focal length was necessary here?

Great job!

Mike.

Thanks :) I've got some more posted in the sports section lol

That one says 350mm on Flickr but I remember cropping in a decent amount in processing so it would have been better zoomed in a bit more I guess :) These shots are anywhere between 200 to 560mm depending on where I was on the Beach and how close I wanted to be. The tide was out and they were coming in fairly close to turn around but the jumps were 15-30 meters out depending.
I definitely want to get back down to the beach when the wind gets up again :D

good set

Great set.
I've tried to photograph some friends Kite surfing before and its not the easiest to do the sport justice.

What was you camera and set up?

Great set.
I've tried to photograph some friends Kite surfing before and its not the easiest to do the sport justice.

What was you camera and set up?

70d and 200-400mm on a tripod.

It definitely has it's difficulties :) Even at 200mm it's probably a little too close to really show the height on some of the jumps if they're closeish and going high but then you need to zoom in to like 300-400mm at least to see what they're up to a bit further out in the water.

If the tide is out then you can get a bit of height by standing at the top of the beach or you can get down on the sand to get shots more at their level. The only issue with being at their level is that they often disappear behind waves if it's rough enough!

Back