Ladies Football

A nice set there, Like the 1st and 3rd image (y)

is it the stray foot on the left or the half a player on the right you like about #3 joe?

aaaaaaaaaaaargh take the stray foot out of the picture!!!!!

Much better.. I dont think I would have slept tonight... I hate stray body parts in pictures and never understand why people leave them in... I clone them out if cropping doesn't do it.... however your recrop makes the pic much better anyways:)

I have only ever taken photos of sports where i usually know the subject is/ is going, so well done for getting some excellent action shots. I love seeing the effort in people's faces and you have managed to get clear shots with well exposed faces, despite the strong sunlight.

My only query/ concern would be about the amount of sharpening you have applied. Halos are obvious, especially in shot 4, and when looking at the larger versions, artifacts become very visible. I would assume this lens wide open would provide very good shots with minimal sharpening, but if you find it a bit too soft at f2.8, you could close it down to f4 to get sharper images. You are shooting at 1/2500 sec, so dropping this by one stop to 1/1250 (or 1/1000) will still be fast enough to freeze action (down to 1/500 is ample in my experience).

1/1250 (or 1/1000) will still be fast enough to freeze action (down to 1/500 is ample in my experience).

1/500 ? .. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

1/500 ? .. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I've never shot football, but it works fine for any races I've taken photos at (see link for samples). If you want to be constructive you could elaborate and tell me what is your min recommendation for ball sports where limbs may be travelling faster? would 1/1000 do?

LOL, when will it ever stop mate
??

Not really a fan of posting for the sake of it (unrelated to the thread), or private jokes for that matter.

You yourself admit you haven't shot football so why assume its the same as running or something like that, its not, simple really, dont offer advice on something YOU KNOW ZERO ABOUT

Footydad isn't an idiot, hes asked for and been given correct advice about shooting football in the past and has improved dramitically to a very good level, he certainally doesn't need someone who has never shot football giving him wrong advice.

Asking the OP to look at a few runners and cyclists struggling up hills have zero to do with capturing football images, zero

AND PLEASE DO NOT SEND SPAM TO MY INBOX, i felt like i had been contacted by a crying bullied child

Right folks, lets calm it down a bit. Gary and Kipax are correct, you can use much slower speeds for racing, where you know exactly which direction the subject is going and even roughly the line they are going to be on [cars, cycles, even running] and in situations where you can 'pan' the action but that doesn't work with team sports where the constant changes of directions and body movement means you need something much quicker. Just as an example, I am not sports shooter either, but do shoot cricket, a sport most people consider quite 'sendentary' but still ideally need shutter speeds at 1/1000 or above if I want to freeze the action every time of a first class batsman belting something down to long off. Yes, I have photographed Sunday League stuff where you can get away with something a bit slower, but not much, principal is still the same - so apply that to something like football, where the movement is far less predictable, and that is the point the guys are trying to get across.

Gary, perhaps just a weeny bit more tact in the first place would have helped, but if you are getting PMs, you know what to do.

1/500??? I only ever go that low at night when the floodlights are so crap I can't get it any higher (I am relating this to rugby / football).

I have seen this advice to often on here and can see why Kipax gets so annoyed.

Last edited:
Back