Lake District locations

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all

So I'm going up to the lakes in a few weeks for a long weekend with the family and looking for suggestions on locations you all recommend to visit.

I will be restricted time wise so ideally some detail on the locations would be appreciated, example being I know of the gate and tree on buttermere rather than just buttermere.

Hope you can all help

John

Castlerigg stone circle near Keswick?
The classic spot at Ashness Bridge is overdone - and trees now too big to easily see the famous shot in summer - but walk (cautiously) through the wood towards Derwentwater from by the bridge and suddenly you are on a substantial rock face with expansive views over the Lake.
Another photographer favourite is Wastwater, but don't under-estimate the drive round to it from the central area.
On the plus side the best views of it are quite close to the road with a reasonable number of places to stop.
Coniston is rather nice but away from the crowds, and there's a quiet minor road long the east side worth checking out.

Hodge Close quarry is *a bit different* and will enthral the kids.

Last edited:
Cheers, by not underestimating the drive, is it a 4x4 job or just long?

It just seems to take a long time by rather uninspiring roads.
Quite narrow single track along the Lake but since it's a dead end it isn't usually terribly busy.

I may see you up there :D
I am hoping to go, but I often plan for things I never do :(
I believe there is a great book on Amazon for about £13 on photographing the lakes. The authors name is Bowness I think. Hope this helps.

This is the best photo-location guidebook to the Lake District. Photographing The Lake District by Stuart Holmes.

Photographing The Lake District -OFC.jpg

Cheers Mick, managed to find a useful YouTube video from on here of a group and their locations and then along with some late night Google mapping I've got a few more that might be OK to aim at

Cheers Mick, managed to find a useful YouTube video from on here of a group and their locations and then along with some late night Google mapping I've got a few more that might be OK to aim at
Link to the video please?

Cheers.

Talking of derwent water. Watched another video yesterday. One of the landings has been completely renovated and isn't as photogenic. Don't know which one though

That doesn't look like Derwent Water to me in the video. I don't recognise it, but I'd guess at Windermere by the lack of hills and the number of boats
I could be wrong - but i'd hope that I'd be able to recognise derwent water
Got to agree. The contours are wrong for Derwent Water and all those yachts just shout out Windermere.

It looks more like Coniston to me - bottom end ish on the East side.. New pier that I'm not familiar with though.

I was on that meet and Brian has videod many of the well known locations. I've just been up there and stopped at YHA Buttermere.

Blea Tarn is up there for me. If you get nice light and still water there are some wonderful photographs to be had. It's National Trust and car parking for I'd say 20 cars.

Castlerigg Stone Circle is another good one, but, again, needs good light.

Crummock Water has 4 trees on the shore, that can be photographed as 3. Grid reference is here NY 16625 17055. 15 minute walk.

Car park Grid Reference NY 17292 17224. If you drive north from Buttermere on the B5289 the car park is on the left.

I have both the books mentioned and the one below is a belter, one reason is it has post codes :)

Cheers and enjoy.

Crummock Water has 4 trees on the shore, that can be photographed as 3. Grid reference is here NY 16625 17055. 15 minute walk.

Cheers and enjoy.

Make sure you have military strength midge repellent with you if you go to photograph these trees. I was there yesterday and still feel like I was eaten alive LOL

Is it busy up there at this time of year? (holiday time).
Thinking of heading up just before the bank hols, but I won't be there that weekend.

I was there first week in August and it was mad busy. But that was in the popular tourist spots and I put that down to the weather being crappy.

Is it busy up there at this time of year? (holiday time).
Thinking of heading up just before the bank hols, but I won't be there that weekend.

I've been up this week and made it out for sunrise a couple of times (Brothers Water and Buttermere / Crummock Water). I had the place to myself on both occasions. Through the day it's been fairly busy, but not so at sunrise and sunset at the locations I've been to.

Simon.

Has anyone been to cathedral cave? Is it as magical as it looks in photos or a bit disappointing?

Has anyone been to cathedral cave? Is it as magical as it looks in photos or a bit disappointing?
Been several times.
It is a bit hard to get to. No parking in Little Langdale apart from the pub and they will shred you if you think you can park all day for the price of a pint.
You can park almost outside the cave but you have to be able to read a map to get there.
Inside it is quite spectacular but getting a good shot is hard. HDR is really the answer because there are extremes of light to contend with. Tripod is a must.
You can do some exploring and if you walk out of the back of the cave you can find an entry that takes you all the way through the hillside. Torches/hard hats are advised but not essential. There is a side passage that you can go into and use flash guns among the old mine workings.
You can spend all day wandering round all the mine workings that the cave is part of. It's mostly safe, even for grockles.
You sometimes find "Experience" tutors in there teaching townies how to abseil but they usually keep out of your way.
Well worth a visit.

You're spoilt for choice - Grasmere, Rydal Water and Wastwater are three easy to walk to locations that haven't been mentioned, Wastwater especially is quite spectacular. Ullswater too, maybe you could try a Steamer ride. I'm not that familiar with it but there is a long coastline that could be explored

Back