Lakeland Layers

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Another photo of the Bark House Mountain Base, this time from across the small beck that runs under Ashness Bridge. I've never seen a shot from here across the water of the house before. I find when arriving at an overshot location it's always best to take a couple of photos of the cliche view, to get it out of your head and allow the creative juices to start flowing.

Lakeland Layers by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

a clear study..some modelling light...ie the sun..would add a dimension and make the shot alive
dodging could perhaps do that if you want to cheat

a clear study..some modelling light...ie the sun..would add a dimension and make the shot alive
dodging could perhaps do that if you want to cheat
Thanks Geof, I wish I had some better light, but was not to be sadly. Being 5 hours away I can't pop back either!
No dodging light in for me, I keep my images natural.

Thanks Geof, I wish I had some better light, but was not to be sadly. Being 5 hours away I can't pop back either!
No dodging light in for me, I keep my images natural.

its your choice...one may ask why you take the pic if its not quite so..?
i do that because of your reason...i cant afford to go back and take it when conditions are right
hence my cheat methods
i dont hold the shot sancrosanct out of the camera...it only takes what it sees...and not what i imagine it should have seen

its your choice...one may ask why you take the pic if its not quite so..?
i do that because of your reason...i cant afford to go back and take it when conditions are right
hence my cheat methods
i dont hold the shot sancrosanct out of the camera...it only takes what it sees...and not what i imagine it should have seen
Because in my opinion, even without the nice light I wished for, I still have a the clouds, which work with the scene to give a sense of mood.
And in the Lake District you have to work with what you are given. I don't wish to make up the scene in PS though, personal choice, I know a lot of people will do.

Reactions: ST4
Nice composition there Jake, not ideal lighting but hey sometimes you just have to take what you are given or else pack the camera away :)

Because in my opinion, even without the nice light I wished for, I still have a the clouds, which work with the scene to give a sense of mood.
And in the Lake District you have to work with what you are given. I don't wish to make up the scene in PS though, personal choice, I know a lot of people will do.

yes agreed...i have had to many times...just to brighten up some leaves and cool down some over brightness
a straight shot...a great shooter!!..:)

I'm not a flat light shooter. I don't think I'd have even got out of the car never mind the camera out of the bag for this.

It's not a bad composition but the subject matter in the lakes can be more appeaLing and in the right light a nice area to go.

I'm not a flat light shooter. I don't think I'd have even got out of the car never mind the camera out of the bag for this.

It's not a bad composition but the subject matter in the lakes can be more appeaLing and in the right light a nice area to go.

When you've driven 5 hours, slept in a car on and off for 3 hours, had a failed sunrise and it's 6am there isn't much else to do than have a trip around shooting.

When you've driven 5 hours, slept in a car on and off for 3 hours, had a failed sunrise and it's 6am there isn't much else to do than have a trip around shooting.

Steve can be a real pig at times..:D

right pal?

I'm quite a fan of flat light myself in reducing shadows and saturating colours. Although the light could certainly have been better there's still merit to this shot, and I would go along with a little dodging and burning - as long as it's not overdone it's fine and has been done since the dawn of photography almost.

Good shot Jake.

You do right mate - I quite enjoy just having a tootle around after dawn. Next time you're there and its flat have a wee explore above the tops and the wee woods above Lodore Falls. Only a wee walk and worth a look. Flat lights good for that sort of thing.

I'm quite a fan of flat light myself in reducing shadows and saturating colours. Although the light could certainly have been better there's still merit to this shot, and I would go along with a little dodging and burning - as long as it's not overdone it's fine and has been done since the dawn of photography almost.

Good shot Jake.

pablo1copy by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

well Tim, you have shed some light....even artificial....onto this discussion...
it is not well known but a lot of the greats in photography have work done by dedicated printers...human...to sketches of how the image should be adjused in the print stage...our raw or jpeg out of the camera stage
look at this one

Steve can be a real pig at times..:D

right pal?
Oh yes! But we wouldn't have him any other way!

Good shot Jake.
Thank you! :)
You do right mate - I quite enjoy just having a tootle around after dawn. Next time you're there and its flat have a wee explore above the tops and the wee woods above Lodore Falls. Only a wee walk and worth a look. Flat lights good for that sort of thing.
Cheers Mark, will have to join you on one of your famous wanders one morning, they seem to heed great results!
Lovely composition Jake, like you say never seen that angle before.
Thanks Graham!

Back