Lancashire Raptors v Bradford Bulls Ice Hockey

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Some from Sunday 5th Oct
I feel I ahve now found the perfect spot to sit in the stands.. offers just the right lighting... I get iso 2500 and a 320 shutter speed at f2.8. All shot in JPG with a little dust/scratch remove in photoshop if required but generally doesnt need noise removal.

Canon 1dmkIII + Canon 300 f2.8 ...

Comments welcome? :)

rap1.jpg

rap2.jpg

rap3.jpg

rap4.jpg

rap5.jpg

rap6.jpg

rap7.jpg

rap8.jpg

Very nice set.
I like 2 best and the the helmet in 4 looks very good too.
I'd like to have the reach to get in closer myself.

Nice to see some of your hockey shots again, been a short while since the last.

I think in the pics 2 and 3 the shutter speed hasn't been quite fast enough.. bit of 'blur/motion' in them. Although I have say that there is nothing wrong with them, still nice pics!

1 and 5 are my favorites from this set... nice action in both (y)

If I can be really picky,:D you've sort cut the guy in blue in half.. that's in the last photo. I am sure he isn't happy about that..:LOL:

I know many always comment on getting fans into the images... but guessing hockey is about 100th most popular sport in the UK. So there might not be chances of getting cheering fans to the back of the shots (unless you go and position them there yourself):shrug:

Have you moved to a lower position to take photos?? I think it seems like you are more at the level of the players, if I remember correctly from your last set?

Love the results you can still get at ISO 2500, and not much evidence of noise in the images.. say what you want from the MKIII, but the level of noise has reduced from the MKII.

Decent set of images once again... and good to see some Ice Hockey togs keeping it up in the UK!!

Lancashire raptors are like the poor relatives of Blackburn hawks.. theres only what seems to be friends and family watching and they sit high and way back... maybe 30+ people :( But a few hundred at Blackburn Hawks games.. certainly nothing like at your games and no one sat far enough down to include as background :(

There will always be motion blur on a 300 lens at speeds of 250/320 but there isnt too much.. the trade off would be even higher iso and less detail.. I prefer as-is :)

Nice set. I like number 6 as an alternative to either standard action or sportrait shooting. It must take so much commitment to play the game at this level though - all that equipment and training!

There will always be motion blur on a 300 lens at speeds of 250/320 but there isnt too much.. the trade off would be even higher iso and less detail.. I prefer as-is :)

I figured that, and I don't think the blur is too much at all, just a little observation I made. And as you probably make many of these to prints for the family or friends of the players.. I agree with keeping the ISO lower and getting a bit of blur..

Back