Lancaster Bomber Photoshop project

JPS

Edit My Images
Yes
Back in May I posted a series of photos about the Lancaster Bomber that did a few fly pasts not far from me.

I have re-visited the photos, this time putting one through Photomatix and adding a whole lot of grain and noise. Also I upped the black point and cut out the smoothing effect.

I was after a look of an oil painting or at least an old colour photo. My dad used to have a massive oil painting of a Spitfire in a similar pose and that was what I was working off (from memory).

First is the original shot

LancasterBomber.jpg

Then the regular jpeg

Lancastercolour.jpg

Finally the version saved as 'save for web'

Lancastercolourweb2.jpg

Has my 20 mins of 'shopping worked or is this one for the bin? I must admit, I can't see much difference in the final two versions.

Last edited:
Very nice, I like both edits, the only thing I would say is that there looks to be a slightly distracting dust bunny about 1cm down from the top and a third across from the left, just on the graduation between the dark and orange area of cloud. It might be part of the cloud?? but if it were me I'd smooth it out.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. As for the dust spot, I thought I had got them all, but after staring at the screen for what seemed ages I kinda got sore eyes...... anyway I have altered the second colour shot to show the dust has gone.

Thanks again

A Great 20 mins spent in PS.

I really like the effect, I happened to be on the A14 a few weeks back as it flew over after a flypast near Milton Keynes, Unfortunatley I hadn't seen it coming so couldn't get the camera out in time. Great aircraft though.

Lovely.

That's great. I really like it.

Definitely worth the effort, like the effect from the original image

Peter

Nice pseudo-painting effect!

The aircraft itself looks good but I think you'll need to get another background as the bland sky hasn't translated too well and looks a bit fake.

pg32

I think I know exactly the picture you are talking about - this is nicely done. From the Michael Turner school of aviation oil paintings I think :D

Back