Lands End Sunset in rock arch

Lovely tones in 2 and like the way the light feeds through the rock arch.

1 looks a little dark and has a greenish colourcast. Nd filter? Needs correcting. Compositionally I like it, but needs the colours sorting.

A well worked out and well set-up shot Gary, plus it's a fine shot with plenty of front to back interest. I've had a look at the Flickr version of the first one, and I'm really not sure what your processing was for that one? It isn't just the green as others have mentioned, since there are purple highlights on the shore and the cliff face.

#1 has this been cross-processed? The colours are not natural and don't work. There are issues on RHS with halos and poor blending between distant land and the sky.
Compositionally its all a bit right sided with nothing of interest to balance it on the left.

#2 is a bit better.

In fairness the dynamic range looks very challenging. I think you'd need a combination of filters and carefully blended exposures for a scene like this.

Thank you everyone for the compliments and most of all the critique, I guess after a long day at work and a long evening shooting and rushing the processing around midnight wasn't a good idea lol here is a re-processed one taking in all your suggestions. BTW I was using a Hitech IRND 10 stop filter, and number 2 above was using and ND8 and an ND grad.

Lands End by Gazza555, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm visiting Cornwall in early September and by then, according the the Photographer's Ephemeris, the sunset should align with the arch and the Longships Lighthouse.
I'm hoping the weather will be suitable to attempt a shot or three.

Back