Landscape lens

Edit My Images
Yes
What sort of focal length am I looking at for a good landscape lens?

Is it low, so as to get more of the scenery in?
But not too low, so as to cause that fish eye effect?

Any recommendations?

I'm using Sony kit, so any Sony specific recommendations would be much appreciated.

Since you're on a crop sensor, the Sigma 10-20 is a popular choice for landscapes. It does distort a bit, especially at the wide end. I sold mine as I wasn't really using the wide end and got a Sony 16-80 on my A700 before I went FF. Found that wide enough in most cases, but it really depends what you are looking to do.

I now have a Minolta 17-35 but haven't really been out playing with that yet as I only got it back from being fixed (bought it faulty) last week.

P.S. If you edit the topic to include (Sony) in it somewhere you might get a few more people look in with specific recommendations ;)

i use 18mm, probably the most popular length used for landscapes, if you go too wide you lose background detail in the distance you might want in the shot i find.

I generallly use the Sony 16-105mm lens for landscape but due to the wide field of view I found I was always cropping the image. I now use the Minolta 70-210mm f4 more than the 16-105mm for landscape I now crop less. The type of lens used depends on what you are trying to achieve, have a look at some landscape photos and the type of lens that have been used this could help you in your decision.

Check out this web site, it gives an explanation on telephoto lens foe landscape.

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/why-you-need-a-telephoto-zoom-lens-for-landscape-photography

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack
I now have a Minolta 17-35 but haven't really been out playing with that yet as I only got it back from being fixed (bought it faulty) last week.

where did you use? i have a 24mm minolta needing serviced.

i have been using my 35-70 F4 mini beercan for a couple of landscapes with a great result. But would love an 10-20mm :love:

where did you use? i have a 24mm minolta needing serviced.

Black on white in Bristol, since I work about 5 minutes drive away. I posted a review in the Shopping and suppliers section of the forum on 29th November.

Back