Landscape photographer of the year '11

Edit My Images
Yes
A small gallery of winners of Landscape Photographer of the Year 2011 has been released.

Link

Anyone else just a touch disappointed with the results? Some interesting entries for the Living the View category, but the rest leave me rather flat.
How many more pictures of dark hedges, Co. Antrim are going to get featured in this bloody thing?

Your thoughts please.

Rather impressed with almost all of them.

Really like nearly all of them. My only dud is that crappy looking armchair.

Got to agree some nice examples there.

Nice to see that the law stating that all landscape shots must be in mono has been repealed at last. Nice broad range, I though. Particularly like the yachts.

I think it's nice to see a good range of photographs and definitely a positive that they are not all heavily processed like in previous years.

I really like the winning shot although it's probably no suprise as it very much fits into the Charlie Waite style of landscapes

Simon

thanks for the link
I agree, I'm not a fan of the sofa shot, could have been done on auto settings and snapped
the rest I really like
lots of variation
I like the seagulls on the boat, the Infrared one too
one of them really felt like it needed more space on the right, vague I know, but still great colours

I do not normally enter competitions but my mother decided it would be a good idea to "enter" some of my photos for me. I kept saying no but this did not seem to be an option. I actually had one shot "short-listed" (see below) and was required to upload a full resolution image but that was about as far as it got.

original.jpg

An ... erm ... interesting set. Bending the limits of the term 'landscape' as usual. Some quite good. A lot pretty anonymous. At least the Storr and Quirraing aren't in it this year :LOL: The thing that strikes me, however, is the truly shocking absence of work by women photographers. I wouldn't presume to suggest for amoment that thier ommission is deliberate but thier absence says something very important about how photography is viewed.

Last edited:
An ... erm ... interesting set. Bending the limits of the term 'landscape' as usual. Some quite good. A lot pretty anonymous. At least the Storr and Quirraing aren't in it this year :LOL: The thing that strikes me, however, is the truly shocking absence of work by women photographers. I wouldn't presume to suggest for amoment that thier ommission is deliberate but thier absence says something very important about how photography is viewed.

That there aren't as many women photographers?

That there aren't as many women photographers?

I'd be interested to see the male/female ratio on here

I think there are some striking images on there - typical and not so. I really like the Urban View winner, London's dark square mile

A very good set indeed, and I'm really pleased to see that there's not a single 10-20mm / rock in foreground / blurred water / sunset sky coastal landscape shot in there.

The sofa is an odd inclusion, I've got hundreds of better urbex shots than that I could have put in if I'd have even considered them relevant to the competition.

Some lovely stuff in there - quite a lot local to me too which is nice.

Some really nice ones (I particularly liked the Hitchin Lavendar one) and some which I think really does stretch the meaning of landscape shots*. But thankfully we all have different tastes which does make it all the more interesting :) I shall make my annual pilgrimage to the National at some point to see them!

* I had two shots shortlisted but not selected, but I'm not bitter! hehe

some great images there!

i have one question though: is a cave really considered a landscape??

not alot of actual land in the armchair/derelict building picture is there?

Last edited:
For me the image selections are a bit of a mixture of excellent and 'not for me'. This has been the case since the competition began.

As usual there is the obligatory 'Dark Hedges' photo and the debate will rage on as to what exactly constitutes a landscape.

Since I know lots of very capable landscape photographers who entered this year, and the images that were rejected, I find some of the selections very surprising.

This year I also believe one of the winning images was faked.

I have posted a blog on it here: http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/lpoty-2011/

I'd be hoping it says that women are less likely to be wasting their time taking landscape photographs and be doing something more interesting like the washing up.

Corrected for you :D

hmmm :shrug: bring back Ansel Adams & the likes!

I think it's nice to see a good range of photographs and definitely a positive that they are not all heavily processed like in previous years.

That's interesting, I was thinking that some look way too processed for my taste.

Some nice stuff. Liked the Humber bridge and the yachts. Nothing terribly inventive though so overall just struck me as another Flickr set of landscapes. Always tough to judge images online though, especially with something like landscape photography.

This year I also believe one of the winning images was faked.

Have you contacted the photographer or the competition about it?

Actually I contacted the competition in a previous year about a similar incident but the rules are apparently open to interpretation.
I don't really want to bring this up with the photographer because I am sure he simply wasn't familiar with the T&Cs.

Actually I contacted the competition in a previous year about a similar incident but the rules are apparently open to interpretation.
I don't really want to bring this up with the photographer because I am sure he simply wasn't familiar with the T&Cs.

But you've brought it up with the world by posting on here and your blog. Do you not think he'd be interested in what you were writing about his work?

The thing that strikes me, however, is the truly shocking absence of work by women photographers. I wouldn't presume to suggest for amoment that thier ommission is deliberate but thier absence says something very important about how photography is viewed.

I wondered why. Then I read on.

I'd be hoping it says that women are less likely to be wasting their time taking landscape photographs and be doing something more interesting like the washing up.
Corrected for you :D

Maybe this kind of comment is part of the problem

Perhap's splog's woman would rather do the washing up than spend time with him!

:)

The Matt said:
I wondered why. Then I read on.

Maybe this kind of comment is part of the problem

Lighten up..... It was a joke.

srichards said:
Perhap's splog's woman would rather do the washing up than spend time with him!

:)

Very true. :D

Very interesting post!
That image didn't sit comfortably with me and I moved on; it never occurred to me to think about 'why'...

As for the rest of the images; blimmin good!
I'd have been happy to have taken any of them; even the chair..
A bit of dereliction every now and again is good for the soul.
(although I'm not really sure it's really a landscape)

Back