Landscape photography and travelling light.

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
So...(excluding a gorilla pod and/or a bean bag).....what tripod would you take on a trip to Tuscany, to photograph the beautiful landscape, when your baggage allowance is only 20K ...and what head?

It needs to be able to cope with a 40D + 100-400mm lens; be sturdy and yet lightweight all at once. There is just so much to choose from! I have already made one mistake on tripods, so I'd prefer not to make another.

Trying to keep total spend below £400 if I can.....but willing to spend more for something perfect.

Any ideas.........make and model numbers please!!! ;)

I have a Velbon Luxi SF for this purpose, pretty sturdy & nicely compact..I think this model is now replaced but the Velbons are worth considering especially if you don't want anything expensive - most of the time though I carry a monopod which definitely helps, the tripod gets used in low light

Simon

When I'm traveling in Europe I always take my Manfrotto 190 with the 488RC2 ball head. The tripod packs away in my checked luggage with the head off, and hangs effortlessly from my shoulder via a strap when walking about. I've no idea how it will support your long zoom though.

Sturdy and lightweight don't tend to go together, and certainly not with a 100-400 to contend with.

If I had £400 to spend on a travel tripod, it would be one of the carbon fibre Gitzo Traveller range, maybe this one http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy...ler-with-g1077m-ball-and-socket-head/p1017749

Edinburgh Gary has just bought the Ocean Traveller at vast expense and rates it I think, apart from the head. I think the head is a perhaps a weak point in order to keep the weight down and also fit within the folding design. You could always change that. Lovely tripods these :)

Probably over your budget a little, but I've just bought a Gitzo 1541T carbon tripod and a Markins Q3T ball to go with it, after reading a fair amount of reviews on various sites. I already have a larger Gitzo carbon but never end up taking it with me on hikes as a pain to lug around ! Not sure the traveller would be stable enough for 100-400 though....

Just to round this off and close it down; I decided to get a Gitzo Traveler (GX 2580TQR) which has a built in head. I decided that I am not very likely to be taking my 100-400mm on my travels and it all packs down so beautifully, I just couldn't resist!

Thanks for all the comments and advice :)

Just to round this off and close it down; I decided to get a Gitzo Traveler (GX 2580TQR) which has a built in head. I decided that I am not very likely to be taking my 100-400mm on my travels and it all packs down so beautifully, I just couldn't resist!

Thanks for all the comments and advice :)

Yeah, I was gonna say, what do you need a 100-400 for landscapes for..
I suppose if you're gonna specialize or try to travel light, you have to make sacrifices in kit somewhere.
Trouble with holidays is, you always feel like you might need every godamn stick of equipment you own..:LOL:
It can take some will power and determination to let the other stuff go, and not obsess about the Puffin shots you missed because you had no tele.

Back