Laptop for Photoshop

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at buying a new laptop for using Photoshop & doing some basic editing to my amateur photos.
My budget is somewhere in the region of £600, can't justify more than that I'm afraid.

Any ideas from you lot would be really appreciated as I seem to just be staring at websites & getting nowhere fast!!

Despite CS6 utilising graphics cards to a degree, it's still mainly about the processor and memory. Get the best of each you can afford. None of that will matter though if the screen is small or inaccurate - pick a few that have the specs you want, and then eye up the reviews - some have much better screens than others.

I can't give specific advice, I'm afraid, except the screen on my Acer is rubbish. Have you looked at second-hand Macbooks?

Most of my home tech is Apple but I simply can't justify the expense of a MacBook.

Dell outlet :)
New ones go on at 2pm and 2am
I was using an xps15 and I now use an xps17.
Top of the line i7 ( admittedly sandy not ivybridge) 1080p screen, 3gb 3D graphics, 8gb ram, blue ray... I think it set me back about £675... With a full years warranty etc.

Some of the lower end dells are pants but I highly recommend the xps range (although the 17 is mahoosive but I wanted two HDD spaces)

Despite CS6 utilising graphics cards to a degree, it's still mainly about the processor and memory. Get the best of each you can afford. None of that will matter though if the screen is small or inaccurate - pick a few that have the specs you want, and then eye up the reviews - some have much better screens than others.

I can't give specific advice, I'm afraid, except the screen on my Acer is rubbish. Have you looked at second-hand Macbooks?

I just recently got an Acer, after having a HP [which I found to be crap] - and it's fine, great screen, great power, it's got both Intel 4000 and an Nvidia graphic card, it's an i7 with turbo boost and a 1TB HDD ... it was about £900 though. But I'd say you can get an i5 with less HDD space for a lot less.

have a look at the apple refurb store, I have bought a couple of macbook pro's and save a lot, you might be lucky and pick up a macbook for a good price, stock changes on a regular basis so it a case of checking several times to see if they have what you want. The other site I have used is sony outlet store as again its easy to save a couple of hundred pounds by buying stock they want to clear and like apple its hit and miss but you should get an i5 core for less than £500 and an i7 for your budget with 6 to 8gb of memory.

some one is selling this for £65...

Dell intel pentium 4 desktop pc
With screen keyboard and mouse to match plus desk!!

3.20 ghz
2.00gb ram
140gb hardrive

i take it at that price it would not be a suitable pc for editing etc? i have no clue about pc's these days :(

adamdavi3s said:
Top of the line i7 ( admittedly sandy not ivybridge) 1080p screen, 3gb 3D graphics, 8gb ram, blue ray... I think it set me back about £675... With a full years warranty etc.

Some of the lower end dells are pants but I highly recommend the xps range (although the 17 is mahoosive but I wanted two HDD spaces)

Agree with this completely - just bought an XPS17 with SSD, 8GB RAM and 1080p screen - great piece of kit. Dell outlet is so useful.

I was recently looking into a laptop but I just wanted a huge screen for working on so ended up settling for a desktop. I've had one specially built because I can just get so much more power for the money and il have to put up with the extra space it takes up. Gave me an excellent excuse for a 24" LED monitor though ;)

I'd be much happier getting a desktop PC for the reasons you said there. Unfortunately we just don't have the space for it.
So am I correct in assuming I need (I'm not an expert so bare with me on terminology!) as much RAM as possible, good screen & separate graphics card?
The Dell has been standing out so far

where is this place, i am looking at a second laptop and those prices seem insane for the spec

Short on space what about a mini pc, matx or itx form factor. RAM is dirt cheap so you can easily have 16GB.

You'll need a good processor too

Yes sorry chaps in the states so missed the question!

The link above is the one, you can navigate from

Dell home page > home > dell deals > dell outlet > laptops check prices

That will take you in.

The best time is 1400-1415 every day.. I find the best tactic is to set up a search and keep refreshing (watch the number of laptops at the top as it should jump when the new ones are added) the reason for this is that there are 'sniping' programmes out there which people use to buy laptops to then sell on eBay so you have to be quite fast!

Make sure you deselect the scratch and dent in the search

Get it in your basket as fast as possible, there it is safe for 15 mins, you're not committed but other people can't add them. So you can slap a few in your basket to check out, then remove the ones you want.

QUIDCO WORKS!!! So get anywhere from 5-12% extra off the NET price (before VAT and delivery etc)

Additional ram is cheap as chips (£30 or so for 8gb from crucial from memory) so the key is the processor, screen and HDD

The 17" has two HDD bays, I bought a Samsung 256gb m830 SSD and cloned the main drive onto this then swapped them so this thing flies but has 1TB storage also.

Note, each slot can take 4gb of RAM the ONLY way to get the 4 slots is in the 17" with the 3GB 3D ( must be 3D) graphics... Who knows why!

I hope that helps!!!!!!
I've had bother the 15 and 17" versions and both have been fantastic!

Back