Laptop Sun Shade / Waterproofing for pitch-side??

Name
Rogan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for advice on what products pro sports togs are using with their laptops pitch side a) to block glare from the sun, and b) to protect from the weather when it rains all the time in the UK!

Been looking at some images i've sent during games, indoors after the match, and im not happy with my editing..... problem is when the sun is out i cant accurately evaluate the colours/exposure on my screen due to glare. Other togs have hoods on thier screen but which do you recommend as the best? I've seen the hoodman one online and the ThinkTank thing (but thats huge).

The second issue is rain... do any of these products come with rain covers too... what are you guys using to protect your computers?

help hugely welcomed and appreciated

cheers!
Rogan

Griff gear is what I use for a shade. From Australia.

Still looking for big clear bags for rain.

I use a seaport... not cheap but opens up to make a box around the laptop.. I have a £3.99 kagool in the case pocket... if raining i put the hood over my head and the rest over the laptop case.. same if sun too bright.. works perfect..

I'm looking for one also, I'll probably go for the cheaper Seaport one, i-Visor Slim.

I cant believe how expensive the Seaport now is. If I recall I paid about £60 for mine although that was a few years back now!

I cant believe how expensive the Seaport now is. If I recall I paid about £60 for mine although that was a few years back now!

another vote for the Seaport but i wouldn't pay the current price. The only issue with the Seaport is the fabric supplied to make a hood isn't long enough and is too light so needs modifying for when its windy

another vote for the Seaport but i wouldn't pay the current price. The only issue with the Seaport is the fabric supplied to make a hood isn't long enough and is too light so needs modifying for when its windy

IMO its proberbly the best all round option as its a laptop case and sun/rain shade but not totally weatherproof.

IMO its proberbly the best all round option as its a laptop case and sun/rain shade but not totally weatherproof.

Yeah i find the under side and the joins at the back let some water in if its torrential, i'm in the process of modifying mine......

If its just a tiny drizzle then i wrap my laptop keyboard in clingfilm but if its a massive downpour then im sorry but no one pays me enough to ruin my gear so the lappy goes back in the bag and ill edit at half time from the cover of the stands.

If its just a tiny drizzle then i wrap my laptop keyboard in clingfilm but if its a massive downpour then im sorry but no one pays me enough to ruin my gear so the lappy goes back in the bag and ill edit at half time from the cover of the stands.

What do you do with your camera gear when retreating to the stands to edit your work. Also slightly of topic but what about when you get a call of nature and need the loo :thinking: Do you just leave your gear or do you have to pack it all up and cart it off to the urinal :D

I take it the stewards help keep an eye on it all :shrug:

Thanks for the suggestions guys... Seaport looks good. Probs what i'll go for. I'm going to have a look at the ThinkTank first. It seems an ideel combo of weatherproofing and shade but on web at least looks as though its a bit bulky to have on the sidelines when you're not behind advertising boards out the way

What do you do with your camera gear when retreating to the stands to edit your work. Also slightly of topic but what about when you get a call of nature and need the loo :thinking: Do you just leave your gear or do you have to pack it all up and cart it off to the urinal :D

I take it the stewards help keep an eye on it all :shrug:

Just leave it pitch side and covered, the call of nature requires a good squeeze as i have had a weak bladder for over 20 years but in an emergency just ask the stewards or the tog next to me to keep an eye on my gear.

I use a griff gear for my screen shade. If its raining the i have a black bag and a couple of clips to clip it to the edge of the shade. Good waterproofing and additional hood for the shade! ;)

Bump. Was about to start a new thread, but saw this one.

Struggled at today's match with editing during the game as the rain was just too much to leave the laptop uncovered. Had to do all my editing post match.

Had a good look at the suggestions and the Seaport and ThinkTank ones both looks good. Couple of questions...

1. Is there a UK dealer for the Seaport

2. How does the ThinkTank hold up in the rain?

Thanks 'togs.

the seaports a laptop case that opens up..I have since given up on it as doesnt hold off heavy downpour... I ahave a peli case full of camera gear.. in the winter you dont know if its gonna rain or what during the game.. so I have my wet gear.. pants and coat in a rucksack.. no point carring a laptop case so i put laptop in rucksack also.. torrential rain I either look for cover and use that at half time or put the raincoat over me and laptop... same if too sunny..

Last edited:
Cheers guys. As Gary said early in the thread, no one pays enough to get the gear wet/ruined! There will always be limitations.

Cheers guys. As Gary said early in the thread, no one pays enough to get the gear wet/ruined! There will always be limitations.

But you have to get the pictures in......so you ahve to do soemthing.. its getting it done quick at half time... because guaranteed they will score as soon as they come out if I am still under cover arrrgh. got it down now.. I can do 12 pics captioned and sent at half time.. probably more if I took less care.. but am happy with 12 ..

But you have to get the pictures in......so you ahve to do soemthing.. its getting it done quick at half time... because guaranteed they will score as soon as they come out if I am still under cover arrrgh. got it down now.. I can do 12 pics captioned and sent at half time.. probably more if I took less care.. but am happy with 12 ..
Thats what i do mate, with a bit of chimping and locking during the game i can get between 12-20 away at half time which is way more than i need to do from pitchside for papers who usually only need 6-10 for whole game.

Hi Seb
The seaport dealer for the UK is Calumet.

I use the larger pro model which includes a cape but as pointed out by Andy it isn't totally waterproof just keeps off the drizzle. Kind regards Graham.

Hi Seb
The seaport dealer for the UK is Calumet.

I use the larger pro model which includes a cape but as pointed out by Andy it isn't totally waterproof just keeps off the drizzle. Kind regards Graham.
All quiet mate, what you been up to, you doing footy for AI with John.

Not this weekend G, had family commitments but @ Hudds V Leeds next week which should be a bit tastey :D.

Did you or one of Dave's crew cover the Hudd's Giants open day yesterday?.
If so the Examiner wants some stuff (their Staffer forgot it on his list :eek:).

Hi guys, new hear just joined and looking forward to learn and share

I just got the Griffgear shade, works great for sun although comes from Oz great turnround time and made to fit my laptop

I have one of those. Never used it. One thing I did notice was that 50cm x 50cm is BIG!

Thinktank pixel Sunscreen

great for sunny days

I dont use laptop in rain so cant comment on how good it is

Yes Seba it does look big.

Anyone used a Pixel Sunscreen in the rain?

A good business grade laptop won't have one of those fashionable piano black reflective screens and often have waterproof membranes under the keyboard to stop splash damage. Beyond that your best bet might be some inventive diy.

Just realised had posted earlier about the Griffgear, works well but bulky so got the Hoodmac

Back