Las Hogueras de San Juan

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
This week is the most important week of the year here in Alicante. We are entering the Hogueras de San Juan.

Every barrio (neighbourhood) constructs the most amazing wood/papier mache statue that has a theme that could range from something that reflects local culture to something representing what is happening in the world. The detail and work is stunning and some are VERY big! I'll take and post some pictures tomorrow. On Friday night they all get spectacularly burnt as the bomberos (firemen) play their hoses over the crowd! To ensure the partying happens every night, each barrio constructs a barracca, which is an outside restaurant and bar for the residents. The dining and partying tends to start around 11pm every night.

Every day there are firework competitions, yes during the day! Plus of course firework displays every single night.

Every evening there is a Corrida de Toros (bullfighting) and I'll be going on Tuesday night. Also we'll be seeing a lot of processions and parades which are easily accommodated as all major roads in the city are closed. It is an AMAZING things to see an ENTIRE city enjoying week-long fiestas.

It all concludes Friday night when the city goes up in flames (well the hogueras or huge statues) as the young playfully taunt the bomberos. Finally there is a HUGE firework display on Postiguet Beach.

I went into the centre last night to check out the parade. Here are some of the images.

Vestidos Preciosos by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Y Aqui Son Los Niños! by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Ropa Tradicional by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Todo el Mundo Participa by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Last edited:
For me there`s something really special about the colours on No.1. And I think the vignette works well.

Any tips on the post processing?:)

Processing on 1&3 works well with the images although you should think about selectively lightening the shadows under the girls so it looks less like they're floating. Wish 2&4 were so strongly processed.

I also like the first. The dresses are beautiful.(y)

For me there`s something really special about the colours on No.1. And I think the vignette works well.

Any tips on the post processing?:)

Processing on 1&3 works well with the images although you should think about selectively lightening the shadows under the girls so it looks less like they're floating. Wish 2&4 were so strongly processed.

Thanks everyone. 1 & 3 were processed using a "lomo" effect. In my opinion it just didn't work for every shot. 2 & 4 were sharpened very slightly and I upped the contrast a tad.

So, I popped into the centre to day to take some pics of the Hogueras de San Juan, Bonfires of St John. The finishing touches are yet to be made, but you can see the scale of these things and they effort that goes into making them. They are literally placed all over the city.
And on Friday night, they all go up in smoke. Alicante will be on fire! It's an amazing site.

Hoguera en la Plaza del Ayuntamiento by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Hoguera en la Plaza del Ayuntamiento by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Hoguera en la Explanada by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

_DSC5564_edited-1.JPG by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Hoguera en el Puerto by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

_DSC5578_edited-1.JPG by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

I had a look at your photographs on Flikr, what a superb collection!!

Some cracking shots all through this thread, the colours and processing on some of them is fantastic.

Really like the photos, they give a real atmosphere. It reminds me somewhat of Durga Puja in Kolkata, big community constructions that are given up to the deities (in this case into the Ganges). I think I have some photos of it on here and flickr.

Some cracking shots all through this thread, the colours and processing on some of them is fantastic.

Really like the photos, they give a real atmosphere. It reminds me somewhat of Durga Puja in Kolkata, big community constructions that are given up to the deities (in this case into the Ganges). I think I have some photos of it on here and flickr.

Cheers guys!

Gosh, Ricardo. What an amazing festival, lovely costumes, magnificent floats. What a photo opportunity. Love seeing them!

Gosh, Ricardo. What an amazing festival, lovely costumes, magnificent floats. What a photo opportunity. Love seeing them!

It's amazing! Last night was the international procession which was full of so much life and colour. Tonight is the big night when all goes up in flames! Couple of images from last night below....

Untitled by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

I think your photo's really catch the feeling of the occasion. Love the processing. As for the hogueras, they are amazing. What a shame to burn them, they are works of art.:clap:
Must put the date in my diary for next year as it looks a great festival.Know where I would rather be tonight and it's not in rainy UK.:shake:

This was the Hoguera in Plaza de Calvo Sotelo:

Hoguera en Plaza de Canelejas by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Tonight the crowd started to build and the bomberos were ready:

The police officer was prepared, he'd put his pistol in a plastic bag:

Gun in a Waterproof Bag. He's Prepared! by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

At midnight, the palmera (palm) firework exploded over the city.This was the signal to begin the burning!:

The hoguera exploded and was consumed by fire:

As the crowd good-naturedly chanted "hijo de puta" (son of a bitch) and "agua agua" (water) at the bomberos, one of the bomberos pretended he didn't know what they were chanting:

The Crowd Taunts the Bomberos! by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

THAT'S WHEN WE GOT SOAKED!

A superb set of photos, the colours & composition are excellent (y)

I think your photo's really catch the feeling of the occasion. Love the processing. As for the hogueras, they are amazing. What a shame to burn them, they are works of art.:clap:
Must put the date in my diary for next year as it looks a great festival.Know where I would rather be tonight and it's not in rainy UK.:shake:

Thanks a bunch for your kind words.

Well the Hogueras are finished for another year. I really enjoyed it all this year. If anyone wants to see the complete set of photos, they can be found here.

Resurrecting an old thread because the Hogueras 2012 are starting this week. I may as well add the new photos to this thread.

Back