Latest Wedding **Blog Post Added**

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
A few more shots from my last wedding - all posed except for the obvious odd one out.

Again, posing and direction is something I'm constantly working (struggling) on so I'm trying to carry forward the advice of guys like @ryanyboy , @Serendipitous Sid and others forward into every wedding. Anyway:

1 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

2 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

3 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

4 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

5 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Lastly, just for kicks, they had their Chihuahua as ring-bearer.........it refused to come down the aisle until the groom broke out the emergency chicken nugget to entice it.

6 by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

As always, all comments and crit are gratefully received :)

Hi Danny,

I'm just looking at these on my phone so this might not be the most detailed but here goes....

1). Love the pose. But

a) I don't think the "cucumbers" in the foreground add anything. Instead I'd have positioned her lower in the frame to include the top of the house

b) If the wind blew her veil far enough but if you got someone to throw it I don't think it was necessary.

2). The composition screams fly-on-the-wall but them looking at the camera suggests posed. I'd prefer them looking at each other. Otherwise very nice although not mad on his right leg.

3). Love it

4). Like it. I might have asked him to be a bit more serious (to match her) and turn his head a little more to the right. But pretty good.

5). The pose is ok but they are a bit too far apart for me. What I don't like about this one is it looks like they are getting married in front on an empty room. Billy no mates :D

6). Great shot.

Keep going mate. Despite my niggles they will be happy and people are making decent money with much worse than this.

Hi Danny,

I'm just looking at these on my phone so this might not be the most detailed but here goes....

1). Love the pose. But

a) I don't think the "cucumbers" in the foreground add anything. Instead I'd have positioned her lower in the frame to include the top of the house

b) If the wind blew her veil far enough but if you got someone to throw it I don't think it was necessary.

2). The composition screams fly-on-the-wall but them looking at the camera suggests posed. I'd prefer them looking at each other. Otherwise very nice although not mad on his right leg.

3). Love it

4). Like it. I might have asked him to be a bit more serious (to match her) and turn his head a little more to the right. But pretty good.

5). The pose is ok but they are a bit too far apart for me. What I don't like about this one is it looks like they are getting married in front on an empty room. Billy no mates :D

6). Great shot.

Keep going mate. Despite my niggles they will be happy and people are making decent money with much worse than this.

Thanks again for taking a look mate - much appreciated.

1b) Yeah the wind caused the veil to flare up like that and I thought it was too good an opportunity not to include it in the set.

4) Totally - and I did ask him for a neutral expression but he wasn't the posey type so what you're seeing there is a nervous/uncomfortable smile.

5) That was taken back in the ceremony room after 1, 2, 3 & 4 when it started lashing down (Northumberland so watcha gonna do)......hence the reason for it being devoid of pulses.

The venue was running behind too so I had grand total of 20 mins for all of the groups & B&G shots. Stress-fest :)

Very nice set (y)

Haven't read any of the above, so ...

1# If somebody threw that veil up, they did well to get out of shot as quick as they did! It's fine, but I'd have wanted another one right after it with the same body pose but her looking straight at the camera.

#2 It's fine for a grab shot, but if it's posed you needed them a bit more this way to hide that wall light bracket behind his head, and he needed telling to put his leg down and flop back against the wall. Then his pose wouldn't look unnatural and the viewer wouldn't notice his missing foot.

#3 Love it but try zapping that chimney poking over the roof on the left and see if you agree that's more of an improvement than you'd think it would be ...

#4 Nice one Mr B.

#5 I'm not a fan of empty ceremony room shots, but this one's fine.

#6 The only missing ingredient for 10/10 is more guests in the background, but I can't see how you could have got that and the couple in the foreground, so it's 10/10 from me as it is.

Good stuff :)

Haven't read any of the above, so ...

1# If somebody threw that veil up, they did well to get out of shot as quick as they did! It's fine, but I'd have wanted another one right after it with the same body pose but her looking straight at the camera.

#2 It's fine for a grab shot, but if it's posed you needed them a bit more this way to hide that wall light bracket behind his head, and he needed telling to put his leg down and flop back against the wall. Then his pose wouldn't look unnatural and the viewer wouldn't notice his missing foot.

#3 Love it but try zapping that chimney poking over the roof on the left and see if you agree that's more of an improvement than you'd think it would be ...

#4 Nice one Mr B.

#5 I'm not a fan of empty ceremony room shots, but this one's fine.

#6 The only missing ingredient for 10/10 is more guests in the background, but I can't see how you could have got that and the couple in the foreground, so it's 10/10 from me as it is.

Good stuff :)

Thanks for having a look Dan :)

1) It was just a gust of wind - I did manage to rattle off a few more with her looking at me where the veil isn't as windswept.

2) I'll never know for the life of me why I asked him to put his leg up like that........I was going for causal :)

Thanks again Dan. I'm getting there slowly but surely!

Last edited:
I'll never know for the life of me why I asked him to put his leg up like that.......

Because you've seen that done in both wedding and fashion snaps, and it can look well cool with the right sort of chap doing it - if he's properly leaning back against the wall and you can see his other foot ;)

Lovely set :) Wouldn't say there's anything wrong with them personally and they'll love them! I know people get real worked up over posing but I just got off a video call with a couple who said they didn't want wedding pictures that look like a magazine cover.. I know no two couples are the same but I don't think there's anything wrong with couples just cuddling in and having a good laugh :) Some will be happy with the super natural stuff instead of being told what to do too much.

Lovely set :) Wouldn't say there's anything wrong with them personally and they'll love them! I know people get real worked up over posing but I just got off a video call with a couple who said they didn't want wedding pictures that look like a magazine cover.. I know no two couples are the same but I don't think there's anything wrong with couples just cuddling in and having a good laugh :) Some will be happy with the super natural stuff instead of being told what to do too much.

Cheers Jack! Yeah I try to keep it as relaxed as possible but I find that some couples need/expect more direction than others - that's where I tend to come unstuck a little. Don't get me wrong, I manage but I'd rather do a bit more than just scrape by :)

Lovely work, Danny. Some of the crit above I do agree with but on the whole, very, very good indeed. Really liking the processing too. :)

Back