Latest Wedding - Camper van, super bright flowers and lots of sun

rdh

Edit My Images
No
Morning! Short wedding this one - 7 hours. My goodness was it hot. Not that I'm complaining, but heck, it was *hot*!

Full storyboard.

Teaser:

4666.jpg

I'm surprised that you've chopped people in half to include things such as the lounge ceiling and hedges!
The frame is filled with things which I would have aimed to keep out, or keep to a minimum.
The result here has been that the main objects, ie the bride and groom etc, are lost in the frame. I assume it was intentional, do your customers like this sort of thing?

I'm more in to landscape photography so I'm certainly speaking without authority here, but I'm looking to get more involved with portraits and surprised with this approach as it appears to go against all I've read!

I like some of the shots in the church where you shoot through the pillars etc., but again, a lot of the frame is filled with things that hold no interest and the main objects are lost.

There is a shot of the bride getting ready in the mirror that I think needs some pp, the makeup brush reflection in the mirror looks to be in a bad place and caught my eye!

There are some well caught moments and I like that the shots are not the normal posed shots weddings so often follow.

All in all, I enjoyed looking at them, it gave me inspiration.

I have to agree with above, . Its hard to beleive that the Story Book and your original images on your web site are taken by the same person. Personally i would be a little worried if i were to offer the story Book the customer.
I am not a wedding photographer, but some of the saturation, over exposed, distractions and back drops are just not working.. ..

Last edited:
Neil - personal taste my friend (composition-wise). Some are to include the environment, and some are to avoid it! The colour is for the couples benefit. They do indeed, nearly fully booked for 2013 already :¬) Thanks for your feedback and kind words!

Tony - I have composed and approached each wedding you see on the website in the same manner. Exactly the same. Is your monitor calibrated by any chance? I appreciate we all have different tastes, and I'm quite far from the norm. Peace!

Just one question about blown areas.

Are you constantly worrying about them on a day like that (very sunny) or do you just let it happen knowing its the inevitable?

It's only really photographers that have a worry about such things, if used in this context blown areas don't affect me at all as a viewer.

I love your style but I'm finding the prep and church shots are not as strong/up there with your usual, everything post church is spot on though.

Andy - thanks buddy! I don't give it a second thought, not a fan of fill flash, and I happen to love the effect. Clean backgrounds!

Jon - Thanks! Very challenging prep location indeed :¬) Oddly, these are some of my fave church shots!

Iain - Cheers dude :¬) Matrix metering, aperture priority for the bulk of the day. I know it like the back of my hand as they say, so bumping the exposure compensation is very fast and natural. Plus Nikon's auto ISO system is spot on.

It didn't look the easiest of location for prep to be fair, I'm sure the bride will enjoy them though, and even more so the reception one as they are great. Got to admire the way you take C&C too!

blimey... hmmm .. not to my taste but each to their own... as mentioned before too many chopped up bodies and odd compositions, however there is clearly a market for it if you are as booked up as you claim to be.

My personal non professional opinion is , I would have binned most of them, due to backgorunds, severe out of focus (not f blur) but hey if the customer likes it... fair do's.

Jon - thanks dude. One thing I've learnt - the hard way - is to do what you love. You'll attract people who love the same and that's all that matters. Try to please everyone and things start getting uninspiring and unintuitive. I was in that place last year, and bookings were less. The moment I decided to follow the heart, things went turbo.

Regarding clean backgrounds, sometimes you get super clean rooms, white walls and lovely soft light, other times you get a dark untidy house, full of toys and all sorts of things! You work with what you have.

Lynton (cool name btw) - There's only one OOF - the church. Although I have included a few blurred shots in previous storyboards. Your odd is my even, it seems :¬)

Claim: "State or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof"

A rather cynical perspective dear fellow! I could quite easily prove it by posting contracts, but that would be rather silly. Not that you will, but watch the blog in 2013 and you'll see wedding after wedding go online :¬)

rdh, got to say I actually agree with a few of the comments about backgrounds etc
But more importantly, I love the fact you love your stuff
Must be a tea/coffee thing, I hate coffee by the way
Keep on keepin on as they say, it's obviously working for you

When I read all the comments I thought "this is going to be rubbish". But, looking at the pics I'm blown away. Full of energy and life. Great variety. Natural looking but with real punch.

Let me know if you are ever short of someone to hold a bag for you.

Wow....absolutely love the storyboard.

A great collection of interesting photos that really do tell the story of the day. I love the different styles and sometimes unorthodox framing....just wish we had had a photographer like you for our wedding.

Keep up the great work.... it's a welcome respite from some of the formulaic wedding pictures (like my own) that I have seen.

A brilliant set you have taken there, really puts across what a fun day was had by everyone.

Its been said before by others that your style is a breath of fresh air, and to be honest i think the blown parts of some of the pictures add someting more to them.

I have done a couple of weddings for friends but id never do it as a job way too scarey!

Total respect to you.:clap:

I think they are great, might choose slightly less saturation for my own taste, but really nice set and different. Point is, if you want a something more traditional you get a different photographer, great to have a choice of styles. like it.

Just out of interest when you say you are happy with Nikons auto ISO, what do you set it on? Just let it not drop below 1/30 or above 6400 or something like that?

Jon - thanks dude. One thing I've learnt - the hard way - is to do what you love. You'll attract people who love the same and that's all that matters. Try to please everyone and things start getting uninspiring and unintuitive.

I confess the image styles are not for me but I can see the wisdom in your comments above and it obviously works for you (y)

Cracking storyboard, I like this kind of shooting and seem to think this is the new way of shooting a wedding to add that sneak and peek feel. This style I think captures the day more and I by the end of the Story board I thought to myself you have captured it brilliantly....

Ross - as you know I'm a big fan of your work and this latest post is no exception, I love your style, compositions and bright vibrant colours.

Your wedding photography is really 'different' and fresh compared to what you normally see.

Keep up the good work(y)

I looked at your storyboard, Ross, after reading the first couple of lines of the first critical comment and was expecting the worst. I was actually expecting to have a bit of a chuckle at a fauxtographer's. For the first few shots, my expectation was upheld. The further I went, the more I liked your work. I started to see your style. I went back to the first few shots with this new understanding and got them.

Yes, your work is very different to most and that is its clear strength. I can't say I have any style of my own (yet), but am progressively becoming more underwhelmed by seeing yet another perfectly composed, perfectly exposed, neutrally processed, technically exquisite photo (whether that be of a wedding or a landscape or...). That is not to say there is anything wrong with that kind of work - far from it - and I admire those who can pull off the kind of postcard landscape shot I cannot and a lot of these types of shots I like and respect. However, I find myself increasingly drawn to shots that are different - those that are quirky and break the rules.

What I don't really understand is the comment about not being able to reconcile your storyboard and your website as the same photographer. You have clearly established a style and a storyboard approach that lets your customers know exactly what type of shots they are going to get - that is not only a real strength, but a very honest approach. If people don't like it, they move on. Clearly many do though. Which is not surprising - I can easily see those who shy away from the very traditional style wedding also shying away from very traditional style photography.

All of which is an overly verbose way of saying - cracking storyboard.

Your wedding photography is really 'different' and fresh compared to what you normally see.

Keep up the good work(y)

^^THIS^^

There is a lot of wedding photography around that is formulaic (is that a word?) and follows the same script with minimal deviation. At least you are prepared to develop your own style and if your clients like it and recommend it then fantastic. Colour appears to be important to this couple so the vibrantly saturated images work really well as afar as I am concerned. (y)

Composition and exposure are all open to exploration and who knows, maybe the bride and groom have a close attachment to Artex :LOL:

Personally I applaud you for showing us something different and worthy of comment!

Alan

Not my cup of tea and you have certainly redefined "legless" in most of the photos.

Good luck to you as your style is definitely different!

i love the whole set

To be honest, not your best IMO. I found it a little laboured and frankly uninteresting in places. I do like your style a lot, but just feel by your standards, these are more quirky than anything.

Again, this is just an opinion, an amateur one at that. Given you're quite militant with your defence of your work (on a critique forum??) hope you don't 'rip me a new one'.

You know, I only looked at the photos to see what all the fuss was about (if I see someone else's mistakes maybe I can avoid them, right?) but I thought your pictures were bloody marvellous! I have no idea about technical skill because I'm not a photographer, but if that was my wedding, I'd be chuffed as nuts :)

I love your style, a really modern take on the wedding day which i like alot. What makes storyboards work imo is details here and there which add to the story - so what if they are compositionally incorrect, in the story board you have to resize almost every picture.

Keep up the good work mate :)

Wow....absolutely love the storyboard.

Thank you!

A brilliant set you have taken there, really puts across what a fun day was had by everyone.

Its been said before by others that your style is a breath of fresh air, and to be honest i think the blown parts of some of the pictures add someting more to them.

Total respect to you.:clap:

Very kind - thank you!

I think they are great, might choose slightly less saturation for my own taste, but really nice set and different. Point is, if you want a something more traditional you get a different photographer, great to have a choice of styles. like it.

Just out of interest when you say you are happy with Nikons auto ISO, what do you set it on? Just let it not drop below 1/30 or above 6400 or something like that?

They are more saturated than normal, although that has been explained. If your monitor is not calibrated, it may look brighter than it should also.

Both! ISO 12800 and 1/250.

I confess the image styles are not for me but I can see the wisdom in your comments above and it obviously works for you (y)

Cheers gramps :¬)

Cracking storyboard, I like this kind of shooting and seem to think this is the new way of shooting a wedding to add that sneak and peek feel. This style I think captures the day more and I by the end of the Story board I thought to myself you have captured it brilliantly....

Thanks Dan!

Ross - as you know I'm a big fan of your work and this latest post is no exception, I love your style, compositions and bright vibrant colours.

Keep up the good work(y)

Cheers buddy!

I looked at your storyboard, Ross, after reading the first couple of lines of the first critical comment and was expecting the worst. I was actually expecting to have a bit of a chuckle at a fauxtographer's. For the first few shots, my expectation was upheld. The further I went, the more I liked your work. I started to see your style. I went back to the first few shots with this new understanding and got them.

Yes, your work is very different to most and that is its clear strength. I can't say I have any style of my own (yet), but am progressively becoming more underwhelmed by seeing yet another perfectly composed, perfectly exposed, neutrally processed, technically exquisite photo (whether that be of a wedding or a landscape or...). That is not to say there is anything wrong with that kind of work - far from it - and I admire those who can pull off the kind of postcard landscape shot I cannot and a lot of these types of shots I like and respect. However, I find myself increasingly drawn to shots that are different - those that are quirky and break the rules.

What I don't really understand is the comment about not being able to reconcile your storyboard and your website as the same photographer. You have clearly established a style and a storyboard approach that lets your customers know exactly what type of shots they are going to get - that is not only a real strength, but a very honest approach. If people don't like it, they move on. Clearly many do though. Which is not surprising - I can easily see those who shy away from the very traditional style wedding also shying away from very traditional style photography.

All of which is an overly verbose way of saying - cracking storyboard.

Thanks for taking the time to understand where I'm coming from (photography wise), that's very humbling and very much appreciated!

My sentiments exactly, I have come from a sharp, crisp and technically 'spot on' past. The goal was technical perfection. It started to bore and I found it uninspiring.

With the digital age, people have become obsessed with sharpness. Photographers especially. All pixel peepers. Fantastic frames are ditched due to them being slightly soft. Some of the most iconic photojournalistic shots are soft. Sharpness does *not* make a photograph. And technical perfection does *not* add a story.

^^THIS^^

There is a lot of wedding photography around that is formulaic (is that a word?) and follows the same script with minimal deviation. At least you are prepared to develop your own style and if your clients like it and recommend it then fantastic. Colour appears to be important to this couple so the vibrantly saturated images work really well as afar as I am concerned. (y)

Composition and exposure are all open to exploration and who knows, maybe the bride and groom have a close attachment to Artex :LOL:

Personally I applaud you for showing us something different and worthy of comment!

Alan

Thanks Alan! I do a lot of including/excluding the environment, and it depends entirely on the location. I love to compose in that manner!

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole set.

Spence

Thanks Spence!

Not my cup of tea and you have certainly redefined "legless" in most of the photos.

Good luck to you as your style is definitely different!

Cheers Mike :¬)

With regard to 'odd' compositions, a quick note: the 'normal' shot is also taken and delivered to the couple. So rather than missing it, the couple get more variations. Less repetitive, more original. A big bonus in my eyes :¬)

i love the whole set

Thank you :¬)

To be honest, not your best IMO. I found it a little laboured and frankly uninteresting in places. I do like your style a lot, but just feel by your standards, these are more quirky than anything.

Again, this is just an opinion, an amateur one at that. Given you're quite militant with your defence of your work (on a critique forum??) hope you don't 'rip me a new one'.

I would actually say, some of the comments directed at me have come from a negative mindset, rather than being constructive. Not once have I taken it offensively.

I do listen to the feedback - the slightly blurry church shot has gone, a very extreme 'hidden' composition in the church has gone, and I cleaned up a couple of prep backgrounds.

You know, I only looked at the photos to see what all the fuss was about (if I see someone else's mistakes maybe I can avoid them, right?) but I thought your pictures were bloody marvellous! I have no idea about technical skill because I'm not a photographer, but if that was my wedding, I'd be chuffed as nuts :)

And that makes it all worth it - thank you :¬)

I love your style, a really modern take on the wedding day which i like alot. What makes storyboards work imo is details here and there which add to the story - so what if they are compositionally incorrect, in the story board you have to resize almost every picture.

Keep up the good work mate :)

Thanks mate! Compositional correctness (or otherwise), is very subjective. Many of the couples I shoot for are keen (and pro) photographers who appreciate different perspectives of a normal situation.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look and comment!

As you mention you can set your D3S to never go above 12000 ISO and 1/250, all with AV and auto ISO.

I have a 5D2. Can this be done? Or would I need a 5D3?

Sorry if this is of topic, just ignore if people think so.

I've said my opinion on your work. Bloody amazing!

I would actually say, some of the comments directed at me have come from a negative mindset, rather than being constructive. Not once have I taken it offensively.

I do listen to the feedback - the slightly blurry church shot has gone, a very extreme 'hidden' composition in the church has gone, and I cleaned up a couple of prep backgrounds.

Didn't mean to annoy, so appologies.

You're far more talented than I will ever be, just on this occasion it seems like the quirkyness of your style has eclipsed any emotion. In My Oppinion!

Look forward to your next thread. :wave:

With the digital age, people have become obsessed with sharpness. Photographers especially. All pixel peepers. Fantastic frames are ditched due to them being slightly soft. Some of the most iconic photojournalistic shots are soft. Sharpness does *not* make a photograph. And technical perfection does *not* add a story.

Thank you.

Fantastic stuff - love it.
Personally, there a couple I would have framed slight differently (e.g. to please the leg-lovers). But I wasn't there, and I didn't see the shot to start with.
There are a couple I don't 'get', but the rest I do.

You captured the day.

On a geeky note, what do you use for PP? And do you push the exposure up by much?

Last edited:
No worries Kris, and no need to apologise, your own opinion is as valid as mine, or anyone else's :¬)

Thanks Ian.

If I compose for the environment, I always take a version with the couple in full. They get both. In some cases it's to avoid mess/clutter while maintaining a wide angle.

I use Lightroom - wouldn't be without it! Not really, I naturally expose for a brighter image in camera as it's something I prefer :¬)

Seems like your style has divided people like marmite. But the key thing here is that you do have a definite style - one that for me works really well - it's really contemporary and I can see how they would make for a great album.

I do have a quick question though - do you find many b&g's order framed prints as well though? (or are you not bothered!)

Back