Latest woe from my cursed LX

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Hole in the shutter curtain!

P1090969s.jpg

That's a shame, can you use a small blob of rubber glue on it? Sure I read that someone did theirs with some.

That's a shame, can you use a small blob of rubber glue on it? Sure I read that someone did theirs with some.

I've ordered some Liquid electrical tape to do just that, since I can't wind on fast enough to stop it being an issue! :LOL:

The people who CLA'd the LX didn't spot that? I know a CLA doesn't technically cover stuff like holes, but even then...

It wasn't there when it went for it's service, I remember catching the curtain after nearly dropping it whilst inspecting it on it's return, I'd guess it happened then. It's actually got 2 holes but the other doesn't seem to show in pics.

IIRC

The Big Yin [ Mark] repaired a shutter hole with some liquid rubber

worth a PM..?

:D must type faster......:exit:

It was a Zorki I believe. Maybe worth emailing the people who CLA'd to get a quote for repair? It might not even be that much. These things do happen unfortunately!

how about a tiny square of gaffa tape ?

I have to say that DIYing a CLA'd top professional Pentax 35mm SLR body seems slightly wrong... maybe it's just me.

Have a look at this. It is MF camera but shutter curtain seems similar construction (rubberised fabric).

Bummer, hope you get it fixed.

That rubberised fabric paint might be just the thing for a small bellows leak I've got on my Ikonta, might have to give it a go on that.

Bummer, hope you get it fixed.

That rubberised fabric paint might be just the thing for a small bellows leak I've got on my Ikonta, might have to give it a go on that.

Works a treat on that - fixed a couple of pinhole leaks in the Voigtlander Perkeo's bellows with it as well (y)

Rubber Tyre paint works well..Paint both sides (LIGHTLY)...dont use anything to heavy like cloth or tape or it will slow the shutter down..

Rubber Tyre paint works well..Paint both sides (LIGHTLY)...dont use anything to heavy like cloth or tape or it will slow the shutter down..

ooh never thought of that one, might have some of that down the shed!

Freecom, my LX is hardly a showroom example of an LX, so I'm happy to bodge it any way necessar to keep it going.

Well she's all bandaged u and drying off, so far so good and I haven't glued the shutter curtain to the base of the mirror box!

Well she's all bandaged u and drying off, so far so good and I haven't glued the shutter curtain to the base of the mirror box!

Lets hope it all works out..The LX is a cracking camera wanted one myself but I have my eyes on a Nikon F3 titanium and cannot afford both...What you used in the end to repair it..I have allways used rubber tyre paint and put a small pice of tape on the opposite side of the shutter curtain to stop it dripping through the hole then removed it once the paint has dried..
Barry

I used this stuff

It's a thick gunky stuff and dries to a rubbery layer. I just used avery small brush and worked it into the holes (the original pic doesn't show the much larger one on the opposite third, which had no affect on images for some reason) and surrounding area, 2 coats each side, then I tried it out, and a really tiny pin pick hole opened up in the original hole so another quick coat has seen to that. Going to leave it alone now to fully cure.

I used this stuff

It's a thick gunky stuff and dries to a rubbery layer. I just used avery small brush and worked it into the holes (the original pic doesn't show the much larger one on the opposite third, which had no affect on images for some reason) and surrounding area, 2 coats each side, then I tried it out, and a really tiny pin pick hole opened up in the original hole so another quick coat has seen to that. Going to leave it alone now to fully cure.
Would be nice to see the finished results and how it worked out..Always looking for new ideas

Back