"Layer is Partially Locked"

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if asking this question causes you to fall about in fits of laughter, but I need to ask!!!

I'm just starting to look at a layers, but every one of my pics comes up with the above message, when I click on Layers?

How do I unlock, and what is locking it in the first place?

Andrew

This happens automatically with most images in Photoshop.

You have to double click that background layer. Or go to Layer > New > Layer from Background. Or just duplicate the layer and delete the locked layer :)

Double click the bg layer and rename it to layer 0 which is the option it gives you, other than that just duplicate the layer CTRL+ J then that layer is editable, it makes the BG layer locked so you can do alterations on proceeding layer, with out destroying the original (y) although most of the layer tools are non destructive

There exceptions IE creative aware only work on BG layer

Last edited:
Thank you guys, especially for not taking the mick!!!!

I'll be back with more stupid questions very shortly i'm sure

Andrew

I almost always keep the locked layer but duplicate it. This way I have a clean layer to use if when I muck things up or change my mind without having to re-export it from Lightroom

Photoshop makes a snapshot on the history palette by default so theres always that to go back to, I also increase the number of history states as 20 isn't nearly enough if your cloning or painting.

Photoshop makes a snapshot on the history palette by default so theres always that to go back to, I also increase the number of history states as 20 isn't nearly enough if your cloning or painting.

Yes Wayne (y) been caught out a few times with this ..

Thank you guys, especially for not taking the mick!!!!

I'll be back with more stupid questions very shortly i'm sure

Andrew

Never be afraid to ask a question, however stupid you might think it is. No doubt there will be others thinking the same question. But not have the guts to ask. All part of lifes learning curve.

Back