Leaping Salmon

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken at Buchanty Spout, River almond, Perthshire, on 21 October.

Buchanty_7078.jpg

Buchanty_7090.jpg

Buchanty_7108.jpg

Buchanty_7204.jpg

Buchanty_7439.jpg

Buchanty_7479.jpg

A good exercise at testing your reflexes! I gave up on AF - not the camera's fault - just me not fast enough. Took to pre-focusing on a point in space and waiting for a fish to coincide with it. Most shots taken at 1/1500s

Col

Nice stuff there(y)(y)

I've been looking about at the Falls of Feugh, up here on my manor but so far not seen any this year:bang:

Well captured.

It's just up the road from me but I've not stopped by for a while.

Might just pop along the next time the light is bright - what focal length were you using ?

Last edited:
Liking your work here, how long did you have to wait to get these and how many shots did you take just to get a few keepers ?

Great shots, very exciting to see them captured mid leap like that. I like them all, particularly the first one which is a cracker.

Well captured.

It's just up the road from me but I've not stopped by for a while.

Might just pop along the next time the light is bright - what focal length were you using ?

I took the 200 mm f2.8 thinking I would need it, but you are actually so close to the fish at that spot that 200 mm is too long! Added to which, at 200 mm the job of catching them mid-leap is all the more difficult. So, most of them were taken with the 24-105 mm f4. You'll tell which were at 105 and which nearer 24-ish (Exif is intact by the way, including distance to target).

I realised I put them in the wrong blummin' thread - should have been in the wild nature, not pets 'n' stuff!

Col

Last edited:
Liking your work here, how long did you have to wait to get these and how many shots did you take just to get a few keepers ?

Time between first shot and last was one hour and 40 minutes. Total frames taken was 585. Total frames processed was 65 - of variable quality and sharpness. I picked 6 for the post here to be representative of the sort of shots I was getting - longer and wider - cock and hen fish.

Col

I took the 200 mm f2.8 thinking I would need it, but you are actually so close to the fish at that spot that 200 mm is too long! Added to which, at 200 mm the job of catching them mid-leap is all the more difficult. So, most of them were taken with the 24-105 mm f4. You'll tell which were at 105 and which nearer 24-ish (Exif is intact by the way, including distance to target).

I realised I put them in the wrong blummin' thread - should have been in the wild nature, not pets 'n' stuff!

Col

pet fish :)

Great pictures. And a great priviledge to witness such a fantastic spectacle. I'm very jealous.

Time between first shot and last was one hour and 40 minutes. Total frames taken was 585. Total frames processed was 65 - of variable quality and sharpness. I picked 6 for the post here to be representative of the sort of shots I was getting - longer and wider - cock and hen fish.

Col

585 frames taken? Jesus Christ, I wouldn't be able to take so many, but at the same time sounds like some sort of relieving experience, we all should be more in touch with nature.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone would like to see the full 65 I processed (as I said, quality and sharpness are variable!) they are here...

Buchanty Spout full set

All 65 were taken without moving an inch. It is a very popular spot at the right time - and on a rare idyllic Sunday afternoon there were many others taking photos. Once you had a good spot you wanted to keep it! However, after 1 h 40 min sitting on a damp rock, my bum was numb and I was running the risk of aggravating me Chalfonts, so I got up and let someone else have my spot, and with a nice view looking directly up the river, I put the camera on the tripod, put a 3-stop ND on and shot the 2 landscapes at the end. Went home happy.

Col

Back