Learning to Smile

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
Hi!,

I lerk allot but never seem to post but I want some advise.

Im 32 and have gotten massively into male style (always had the desire but always been over weight until recently) over the last 6 months and really enjoying my style journey. While I am happy with that there is one issue I have. I cant smile naturally on demand or even when meeting eyes with strangers (which seems to happen more than ever now)

It just feels awkward and unnatural. My OH complains I don't smile enough and I use to joke that I was never born with the right muscles to smile. My teeth are excellent (no Jeremy kyle special here) I just dont feel right.

I have looked for guide on how to smile better but they dont seem to work and I feel like I'm gurning. Given this is a forum full of Togs I figured this might be a good place to ask! Any advise?

Thanks

Jon

Smiling is so last century. You need to practise on your pout :p

Alternatively if you really want to smile, try and pull your cheeks up, and open your mouth a little. Practise a lot and be comfortable with yourself. It will work, and you too can smile like me.
image.jpeg

I find with things like this the less you stress and worry about it the easier it becomes

A practiced smile will always look fake and insincere.

My wife would kill me if I didn't take the opportunity to post something from her idol, he was never known for smiling in his early days but seems to manage just fine now :)
(we were at this gig but I didn't take this, or any other footage)

Joking aside, I don't think there is anything wrong with "male style". It's good to make a bit of an effort, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Smile with your eyes, not necessarily with your mouth & just picture an old lady in a shopping centre lift/elevator with a group of teens,......& she lets rip with a noisy, smelly fart.

I figured I would take some ribbing :)

Its something that the OH and other friends have always commented on. Some one even took a picture of me smiling and posted around work as proof I can do it but I'm too miserable to do so.
To be honest its almost a complex. If I find something funny I do smile etc but there always a comment from OH or friends if I am caught doing it.

The male style thing may have been a bit none descriptive, Essentially I have gone from Jeans and hoody or poorly fitting shirt and trousers. Never bothered with my hair or anything to some one who takes a bit more pride in my appearance and as a result allot more confidence has been injected into how I am day today. My clothes fit me well, I sort my hair out in the mornings rather than seeing an ugly git I am starting to see some one who looks nice, in the right light (well lights off).

I can think of examples that will make me smile, but it still feels ... wrong. Even when I have an uncontrollable smile will consciously try and pull it off my face. Your probably right I need to work on the pouty face instead.

Nurture and develop a Joie De Vivre and smiling will come naturally.

Save the misery-face for when it's mandatory.

Last edited:
I figured I would take some ribbing :)

It's for her pleasure, after all. :eek: :naughty:

Just be yourself. Smiling to fit in isn't necessary if you're kind, gentle, have a subtle wit and make people feel better about themselves.

Easier said than done, but this...

Just be yourself - you are thinking about it far too hard!

I've been listening to a shaggy dog story on Chris Evans this morning about Terry Wogan dragging him out 'on the p***' (in a very civilised way) and when it got close to ten and Chris said it was maybe time to go home as between them they had to wake up half the nation between them next morning.

Terry's answer was not to work so hard because 'they'll either like you or they won't'

Back