Leica

...but then there's the more exclusive black dot :)

I have film Leicas and really like them but, with the exception of the M9, the digital kit :thinking:

Leica, the only company who can charge an excess on a product by taking things away! (Ps only a little joke, the M9-P has that nice new screen too...) ;)

So technically that camera should be free seeing as how some people think you are paying purely for the red dot :p

Leica, the only company who can charge an excess on a product by taking things away! (Ps only a little joke, the M9-P has that nice new screen too...) ;)

But they've added the Leica script on top! That's even better than the red dot (it's proven to give a 20% increase in photographic yumminess compared to the 14% of the red dot outlined earlier)!

(PS: The 'P' stands for ****take, not 'Perfection' or 'Professional.' Can't believe that's actually the product of Magnum and Leica's partnership...)

Should anyone doubt the power of the red dot compare used Leica d-lux4 values with those of a Panasonic LX-3 on a popular auction site.

A real Leica,now that's a comment to ponder.Does anyone know how many subsiduary companies it takes to make a real Leica,or that the sensors are produced by Kodak.Now,ask yourself,do I have a Leica or do I have a Kodak(how you feeling about your real Leica now).Also,why are'nt the Panasonic equiv's termed as 're-badged Leicas'.My cameras of choice have always been Olympus(film and digital),although I own a Vlux 1,Dlux 3 which came my way via legacy.They ALL take excellent photographs if I make the effort to try and take good photographs.As Cartier-Bresson said in his recent documentary(I paraphrase)"I have no interest in the technicalities of the camera only the moment of capture " a true artist .I wish I could emulate his singlemindedness,but ,I'm afraid that I too have been seduced by names and specifications,and the huge tonnage of publications on the market

V

A Leica with a Kodak sensor is still a Leica. I wouldn't call a Nikon D3X a Sony because it uses a Sony sensor. Just noticed this is 3 months old. Did the OP ever buy the camera he was after?

A Leica with a Kodak sensor is still a Leica. I wouldn't call a Nikon D3X a Sony because it uses a Sony sensor. Just noticed this is 3 months old. Did the OP ever buy the camera he was after?

As is a Leica with Panasonic electronics(arguably the best) still a Leica.I'm sorry to reduce this to a circular argument,but today's multi factional equipment is a long way from the days when mechanical Leicas had all parts made in- house.So let us celebrate that we have the best Pana' circuitry married to the very best Leica design and optics.Anyway, pictures are made a few inches to the rear of the viewfinder

V

Essentially it is re-branding a Lumix a Leica, I wouldn't class them as Leicas. As long as it makes them both money I don't care though.

It's rather ironic that the ultimate M series Leica has no badge or red dot!

The Panny LX5 is a lovely Leica style compact which takes nice pics but not a patch on the Canon G12 which someone bought along a few weeks ago, Great landscapers camera perhaps for real hikers.

The Panny LX5 is a lovely Leica style compact which takes nice pics but not a patch on the Canon G12 which someone bought along a few weeks ago, Great landscapers camera with DSLR sharpness at lower isos. Ideal perhaps for real hikers.

The Panny LX5 is a lovely Leica style compact which takes nice pics but not a patch on the Canon G12

More than a little exaggeration there I think. Reviews seem mixed but DPR gave them both 73% although I personally believe that a MFT will blitz both.

some of the Leica branded panasonics have almost a cult following nowadays!
consider the Digilux2, awesome vario summicron lens & classic rangefinder looks/handling :love:
real analogue controls (y)

1017090-89181.jpg

still selling used for upwards of £500!
not bad for a 7 year old 5mpix point & shoot :naughty:

a few sample images on another forum i use here - http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?375-Digilux-2

Last edited:

The Panny LX5 is a lovely Leica style compact which takes nice pics but not a patch on the Canon G12 which someone bought along a few weeks ago, Great landscapers camera with DSLR sharpness at lower isos. Ideal perhaps for real hikers.

It's the same camera though, so I wouldn't say it was the ultimate because a red dot was replaced by an engraving. You can get the sapphire glass and not replace the top plate with the Leica badge too.

We have both the G12 and the LX% - my own personal favourite - but the G12 really does create noticably sharper iso 100 and 200 landscape shots. Mft with a much larger sensor will certainly eclipse them both especially at 400 iso and with the 14-45mm Panny lens which is razor sharp.

some of the Leica branded panasonics have almost a cult following nowadays!
consider the Digilux2, awesome vario summicron lens & classic rangefinder looks/handling :love:
real analogue controls :

still selling used for upwards of £500!
not bad for a 7 year old 5mpix point & shoot :naughty:

a few sample images on another forum i use here - http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?375-Digilux-2

Haha, just read that. Useless above ISO 200 and 9 secs to write a raw file. But i have seen some stunning images from it and it is indeed a cult camera. I was very close to buying one.

i used the Panasonic version (Lumix LC1) on 3 trips abroad in 2008 & i still look back at the images & really like them.
kinda wanted one ever since then & bought the Leica version a few weeks ago.
so far i'm just using it in jpeg as it renders very nice files & they are a nice small easy/fast to work with size ;)
ISO 400 is great in B&W mode as due to the pixel density the noise is very grain like & doesn't hurt your eyes too badly

plus they look awesome hanging around your neck, people assume its a much more expensive model so its almost worth wearing as a pendant to make you look more authentic lol :naughty::LOL:

certainly dont regret buying mine & i'll nearly always have my Nikon with me for anything important anyway (y)

Haha, just read that. Useless above ISO 200 and 9 secs to write a raw file. But i have seen some stunning images from it and it is indeed a cult camera. I was very close to buying one.

Yes, you are totally correct, the write time was ridiculous, but I used to have one that I used all the time in the studio, the image quality was amazing. Right now I have a d-lux 3 and the IQ is also fantastic, limited in the same way as any camera of the same style but very very good. I use it very often and I also have a canon 350d, 600d, 5d and 1ds, so no shortage of cameras. The dlux range is not so cheap either, new its not so far from the price of an X1.

Lucien

Back