Lencarta Li-on vs. Elichrom Ranger Quadra

surprised they didnt review the hensel porty lith in comparison.. lightweight with 2 head option 1:1:,1:2,1:3 power ratio and very quick recycle times
I had a play with one of the Hensel units a while ago and I have to say that I was very impressed with both the performance and the build quality, which of course comes at a price.

The only thing I found strange (this may not apply to all models, I don't know) was that they stuck the fuse right at the bottom, which didn't seem ideal to me as you'd expect to be able to put portable flash systems on wet grass or even in a puddle, which you can with the Li-on.

The point about flash durations is somewhat moot, if you're shooting outside in bright ambient light. Because the shutter speed is always longer than the flash duration regardless, you are always going to get ambient blurring/ghosting eating away at fast moving edge areas. The only way to get rid of that, is to use an equally fast shutter speed, ie high speed sync or the tail-sync hack, but both are very wasteful of power. There is no easy or cheap answer to that, eg this guy Dave Black, who needs eight hot-shoe guns in a rig to get enough power in HSS/FP Sync mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNDAINwhTWU

Just reading this through as I'm looking at all my lighting needs going forward, now I'm not considering sports use, but just wanted to say that motoX photography link was stunning! Glad you shared.

Just reading this through as I'm looking at all my lighting needs going forward, now I'm not considering sports use, but just wanted to say that motoX photography link was stunning! Glad you shared.

I think the key to it though, is rather less the equipment (though it does allow him to get some unique images) but more that Dave Black is a talented snapper who gets some great subjects in front of his lens.

First get a good subject - I find this always helps!

What radio triggering system is included in these li-on packs?

Thanks Gary.

I note that there will shortly be a lithium based battery for quadra soon. Think I will wait for this as they're promising 100% more flashes out of a battery and obviously the package will also be lighter. http://www.elinchrom.com/news.php#120

Still a tough choice :(
By all means wait, Lencarta is struggling to keep up with the demand anyway:LOL:
From what I know (which is only from their own publicity material) the Quadra battery will produce twice as many flashes as their lead battery, which means that at maximum power you'll get about 220-240 flashes instead of 110-120 flashes. By comparison, the Lencarta Safari Li-on produces 1364 flashes at the same measured power output from a battery that's obviously bigger but which also costs less than half as much... And even at full power, which measured 1.1 stops more than the Quadra on test, the Li-on produced 404 flashes.

It must be a difficult choice:thinking:

By all means wait, Lencarta is struggling to keep up with the demand anyway:LOL:
From what I know (which is only from their own publicity material) the Quadra battery will produce twice as many flashes as their lead battery, which means that at maximum power you'll get about 220-240 flashes instead of 110-120 flashes. By comparison, the Lencarta Safari Li-on produces 1364 flashes at the same measured power output from a battery that's obviously bigger but which also costs less than half as much... And even at full power, which measured 1.1 stops more than the Quadra on test, the Li-on produced 404 flashes.

Good point well made :)

I've said before the Safari Li-on is very good value, but to be fair it doesn't have a built in slave cell, which is very useful indoors, it doesn't have the option to remotely control the power settings, its doesn't have very short flash duration and its also heavier and larger.

So if any of those things matter to you, the decision is not so easy :)

I've said before the Safari Li-on is very good value, but to be fair it doesn't have a built in slave cell, which is very useful indoors, it doesn't have the option to remotely control the power settings, its doesn't have very short flash duration and its also heavier and larger.

So if any of those things matter to you, the decision is not so easy :)

Yes, as always it's horses for courses and different products have different benefits that have different values to different people.

Short flash durations can be important indoors, a built in slave cell is useless outdoors but has some benefit indoors, although that 'problem' can be overcome simply by plugging one in. And the weight difference is just 460 gr.
Fast recycling, power, the number of flashes to a charge and the price are always important... Based on a twin head kit, the cost per watt-second on the Lencarta is just £1.67, the cost per watt-second on the Quadra is £5.83

Back