Lens adapter with focus confirmation chip

Edit My Images
No
i have a couple of m4/3 adapters which I use with MD and M42 lenses. They are "dumb" adapters.
I've noticed a few adapters with "focus confirmation chips" in them and given that most old manual lenses have no electrical contacts, I am struggling to understand how they work.
Could anyone enlighted me, please?
Thanks.

all they do is to confirm to the camera that there is a non auto focus lens in place. So that the camera knows to confirm sharp manual focus on the sensor.

Thanks. So if I understand this correctly, all they do is allow you to use an old manual lens without the need to set "shoot without lens" in the camera's menu?

Thanks. So if I understand this correctly, all they do is allow you to use an old manual lens without the need to set "shoot without lens" in the camera's menu?

No, you still need to enable the shoot without lens option but the chip makes the camera give you a focus confirmation (beep or colour change) when focus is achieved at the focus point you select.

No, you still need to enable the shoot without lens option but the chip makes the camera give you a focus confirmation (beep or colour change) when focus is achieved at the focus point you select.
Many thanks. This clears it up nicely. Think I'll stay with my "dumb adapters" and focus peaking.

Certainly not on Canon, at least - if the adaptor has a chip, the camera just sees it as a normal (but stuck at one aperture, usually 1.4) lens, no need to enable the 'shoot without lens' option.

I use the chipped adaptors regularly for my M42 lenses, having that extra focus confirmation assurance is handy to have.

Back