Lens advice for a converted 70d 720nm

Name
gerry
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been looking at getting a converted infrared canon as all my normal kit is canon but after looking at stuff in my budget range nothing touches my nikon converted d70 720nm the only lens I have at present is a 28mm-80mm .
so my question is as most infrared is taken on bright days do I really need a f2.8/-f4 lens or can I get away with a lens that has a smaller f stop and if so any recomendations on what to get .
I am medically retired so budget is a problem .

Cheers Gerry

Cheap kit 17-55

Here's a list of a lot of the main lenses and reports on their performance on IR converted cameras (though the authors caution it's been compiled from many different sources, so E&OE)
You can have a look down the Good Performers, and see what's in your budget.
Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina also offer Nikon fit lenses, so you can check those out further down the list.

I have been looking at getting a converted infrared canon as all my normal kit is canon but after looking at stuff in my budget range nothing touches my nikon converted d70 720nm the only lens I have at present is a 28mm-80mm .
so my question is as most infrared is taken on bright days do I really need a f2.8/-f4 lens or can I get away with a lens that has a smaller f stop and if so any recomendations on what to get .
I am medically retired so budget is a problem .

Cheers Gerry

Gerry my IR pics are all landscape and taken between 5.6 and 16 so I would say if your needs are similar f2.8 or even 4 is not needed. With normal autofocus as I understand it due to the different wavelength to normal light, lens need to be calibrated. Much better option is live view, means you can use whatever lens you have. Check the www.lifepixel.com pages some useful info there.
Best wishes
Tim

So looking as OP is on a tight budget I would say a second hand 17-55 or 18-105 would be dirt cheap and on the good side!

I've got a nikon d70 converted to 720nm as well!

Back