Lens Advice - Nikon or Sony?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Last year when I visited Cuba I just took a D7100 + F1.8 35mm prime. As you can guess, it was good for person shots, but sadly lacking in the narrow streets for architecture, where you really need something under 20mm (particularly on a crop).

We are going back to Cuba in a month and, as well as the D7100, I also have a new A7Rii. However...the A7R has been bought for work and I do not have a lens yet for it, as I'm waiting on the new Sigma Art E-mount lenses, which *in theory* will be out late April...dangerously near when I go away (and no doubt pricey compared to their Canon / Nikon Art brethren, as this range is eagerly anticipated).

So, one option is to take the D7100 (leaving Sony at home - am not taking 2 cameras as there is a toddler to keep in check) and get, say, a Tokina 11-16 for the Nikon. Another is try and find something like the Tokina for the Sony....However, if I want something that's a match for the A7r it will cost a fortune...and it's only a few weeks before the Sigmas drop in the UK (which I have tried on a Canon and am staggered by their clarity fully open).

So...is there an option anyone can suggest? The Zeiss / Sony wide angle, akin to the Tokina, is a lot of dough for a holiday... Maybe I should try and hunt one secondhand, and I can sell it after the trip if it doesn't work as a business camera (small product photography and video)?

Any suggestions totally welcome. Thanks in advance.

Having been to Cuba many years ago, I am jealous. However from a camera point of view, I would take the Sony, and look to get a used FE 16-35 f4, it is mounted on my camera most of the time and maybe a 55 f1.8 (similar fov as your 35mm on the APSc) if you want something for low light. Personally for holidays I like 35mm for people shots as you get the surroundings to give the shots context.

Dont take a new lens anywhere until its use is second nature to you.

Otherwise you will be too conscious of getting it right with the technicalities rather than concentrating what is important, the composition and the light.

Dont take a new lens anywhere until its use is second nature to you.

Otherwise you will be too conscious of getting it right with the technicalities rather than concentrating what is important, the composition and the light.

I’m the complete opposite, I use holiday and travels to get to know my gear so when I’m on a job I know it inside out.

I once too my 45/TSE and nothing else for 10days in Hong Kong. Did I miss out on lots of photos opportunity? No doubt but i also learn how to use that lens in all kinds of situations and got some unique images.

There’s no better time IMO to try a new lens out than on a trip like this.

The Sigma E Mount are (RRP) the same price as the Canon/Nikon versions though likely will be in short supply so be sold at or close to RRP (no discounts).

35mm on your crop would equate to around 50mm on full frame - so how about a classic walk around 28-70? It’s something you likely will fine useful beyond your Cuba trip.

Thank you, all - great suggestions, much appreciated.

I think Chris has pretty much nailed a pragmatic solution to where I'm at. The 16-35 F4 will do for the daytime, and a 55mm F1.8 should be ok for low light.

As I don't want to spend half my life trading lenses on ebay, I do wonder if the Tokina 11-16 + D7100 option shouldn't be discounted, as once I'm back at work my feeling is that the Sigma Art primes will smoke the FE lenses... I'd be happy to be told otherwise, but having tried them it would appear that they make it difficult to get a shot wrong, whereas slower lenses like the FEs require chops to use.

Cheers,

Although the Sigma Art lenses are good ( I have the 35A), they are hardly small and lightweight. The one thing I like about the FE range are the compact sizes for travel. I am currently out with the family, I have the 16-35 f4 attached and the 55 is in my coat pocket. The 35A is about twice the size of the 55 once the adaptor is fitted. Sigma don’t appear to have released the dimensions for the FE35A.

Personally I am thinking of adding the 28mm f2 for a general lens for around towns etc, keeping the 16-35 for walking in the country side. I also have the 55 f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 for low light and extra reach

Thanks, Chris.

It looks like there is going to be very little overlap between lenses for me. Either I'll use an Art for work (I have no intention of chasing after a toddler with one of them on my neck - they will be used on a tripod at work and rarely venture outside), or it'll be something like the pair you have on you today, which strike me as an ideal combo for family days out. If I do get the FE pair there will be little point in keeping the D7100 and its lenses (one is Sigma 50mm macro, which I'm quite fond of), so I guess the funds from selling these could go towards the Sony lenses.

I could still get the Tokina 11-16 for Cuba, leave the Sony at home and get the Arts when they are available. Thing is, the A7 will whip the D7100 with an equivalent speed lens for low light. For indoor family stuff I will always be wondering if I should've taken the Sony. For outdoor daytime in the alleyways of Havana, will the d7100 + Tokina be that much worse than A7?

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if you could see much difference in daylight. I’ve never shot with a Sony but I use a D7100 alongside my D800, I’m happy with either on my travels and have 24”x16” enlargements off them both. 90% of the image is being there, all the gear your considering is excellent

You seem to have a thing about the Art lenses for work, I was just wondering why? Don’t get me wrong they are good, but I was wondering what is you think the Art range will provide?

Thanks.

The Art will be for product photos (to augment those taken at a pro studio, using his Art 50mm) and videos. The D7100 + F2.8 Sigma isn't that great for indoors videos. My penchant for the Art comes from a suspicion that its quality vs cost ratio is about as high as any lens gets, and 50mm is about right for what I do. For example, something like a 24-50mm on the Sony would probably be great for work + family. However, I suspect such a lens will cost a shocking amount if I want similar quality to the prime Art.

Last edited:
Back