lens advice

KRO

Name
keith
Edit My Images
No
does anyone have any experience of using this lens: Sigma 50mm 500mm Dg. Ex .Hsm. Apo f f4 6.3
because i have the chance of purchasing a used one.......

The Bigma, I got rid of mine, it needs a lot of light to get the best out of it.

On the plus side it has huge range but its heavy and slow.

If I was you I would keep saving.

thanks hyster, to be honest i was pretty sure the lens i wanted was a canon 100-400 but this one came up so i thought i'd ask, and it's also a similar price to a used canon.........oh, it's mainly motorsport that i want it for

For the money, imo the Bigma is a v-good lens... Yes it's a bit weighty for use at the long end of the range, but when on a decent tri or mono pod it does the job well, and I don't find mines 'slow' to focus etc.
I use mines for aero & motorsport and haven't experienced issues with lighting conditions (have yet to try it at dusk etc)... :)

imo, you get a lot 'bangs for the bucks', however, as Hyster says, if you want top-end/top-spec then keep saving for the thousands you'll need for one (y)

Pick up a copy (or have a quick read) of this months PhotoPlus as they are doing a review of super telephoto lenses - well worth a read, they're rating the Sigma 120-400 & 150-500 :)

I have a bigma and love it to bits but I've never used any other long lens to compare it with. It is very heavy but I usually have it attached to a monopod and slung over my shoulder.
If I'm honest were I buying again I'd go for a Canon 400 f5.6 prime because I rarely use the wider end of the sigma but would still miss the range. Maybe I could have both :thinking:

Why's my credit card started tingling...(y)

Back